United Rentals

Updated October 23, 2014
3.7

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Offer good pay with the option for overtime (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency (in 14 reviews)

• gt;Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Certain locations need new management and employees

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer good pay with the option for overtime. Decent hours allows for a good work to life balance

Cons

Lack of training in certain stores for new employees. Several people with attitudes and some long term employees are very sneaky. I had thought I was in High School while working there.

Too big to fail.

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

Cons

URI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

We are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

managers are despicable. Look out for their little group

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

pay , benefits, company vehicle

Cons

verrry long hours and all weekends. Managers will bury you to save their own skin.

Wake up your feet on the street cant be all bad??!!

Great if you like Micromanagement, Big Brother, Corporate CYOA games and general BS.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

>It's United Rentals, everyone knows them and there's a huge customer base.

>Decent pay and benefits.

>Lot's of $$$ to invest in equipment.

>Great systems like Total Control and their Apps that let customers off-rent equipment on their phone.

Cons

>Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear. Look at all the glowing reviews on here, that popped up all at the same time they bought NPC. It's pretty obvious they got some intern to write bogus things extolling the awesomeness of UR.

>Extremely Micromanaged, your phone's location (hence you) are tracked 24-a-day and the new vehicles come with a nanny system that alerts your boss if you're speeding.

>Their plan is to win by being United Rentals and buying up everyone else, rather than actually being better. All they seem to do is buy up high-performing companies (RSC, NPC, etc) then instill the UR Culture to ruin what made them so good. If your company gets bought out by them, polish off your resume, as things are going to change.

>Very corporate, CYOA environment where everything has to fit inside the box, rather than giving people flexibility to get the job done. You are constantly getting invited to pointless conference calls on safety, where it's just someone blabbering on about common-sense things, instead of having managers take ownership of their safety program. Also you'll wait forever to hire people, so you're only going to get people who aren't getting hired elsewhere. Finally, if there's a billing issue, good luck trying to get it resolved, as credits have to get approved by all kinds of people.

Stop being so corporate and leave companies that you've purchased alone. You bought them because they're successful, so why start monkeying around with them and driving off successful people? Also get rid off all the Big Brother stuff and learn to trust your employees.

Tough Work, lots of stress

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots to do all the time, great opportunity to develop relations with customers on a daily basis. Very busy constantly. Lots of opportunity to learn new things about a diverse industry. A somewhat reliable bonus program quarterly.

Cons

Management is in complete disarray. Supervisors have a hard time balancing being a friend or being your boss, employees are hired simply to fill a space in order to help get things done even if that employee has no business being hired. Work constantly, from dawn till dark, and then on-call on the weekends. Bonus program is great when you hit all the marks, but one of the marks relies solely on the branch manager to set the bar for the quarter. If he/she sets the bar incorrectly, you are out of the money just like that, with no chance to get that extra money back. Tons of stress on a daily basis.

Find a way to make sure your lower supervisors and branch managers actually have spines. District managers are great but are stretched too thin, especially in this region. Be concerned about quality employees who have been hired with educations. In my experience I saw the smart ones get out as soon as they could, usually with no attempt from management to hold on to them.

Backstabbers

Former Employee - Purchasing in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance plan was good as well as holidays

Cons

They set you up for failure. Training is non-existant.Unless you are part of the selected few, there is no teamwork. Although you go to mg mt with concerns m nothing is done then they use those issues as a reason to "eliminate" your job.

Company is top heavy. Too many executives.

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training ops for equipment. Good benefits. Good pay.

Cons

Raises are minimal no non-existent. Capable employees have growing responsibility without being promoted High risk for burnout

Reward exemplary employees for their hard work. Give more generous raises an offer promotions

Average job, nothing special. Take what you learn and move on to expand your talent!

Former Employee - IT/Applications Support- Helpdesk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT/Applications Support- Helpdesk in Houston, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A good start for someone wanting to break into the construction equipment rental industry.

Cons

Alot of imcompetence at the company due to lack of training from the managers all the way down!

Glass ceiling on advancement
    Lack of initiative in employees.

Invest in your assets (software, hardware)

There is no reason why software application should experience bugs every single week! If the ticket system isnt failing, it is the dispatching software.

Train your employess well so that drivers, dispatchers, operations managers, and branch managers do not have to call IT support to have their jobs done for them.

Inside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

United Rentals is good to work for if you enjoy or have previous experience in the construction industry. It is very easy to be a ISR, you don't have to have any sales experience.

Cons

We don't have competitive prices. Our logistics were not compatible with our high demand in Rental requests. Don't mess up because they will not show any mercy on you if you are not favored by higher management.

Treat all employees equally and don't favor some ISR's versus others. Also, have a better training program. That will train employees faster and better than the current one.

Very low moral

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All politics. If your regional or district manager is your friend, you are all set. Otherwise, good luck.

Cons

Very low moral in sales team No real sales leadership. Just sell used equipment and get new accounts, even if they don't have enough equipment for current customers

Put competent people in positions of authority. Don't make a sales manager out of someone whom has never sold before for example. Moral currently could not be lower!