United Rentals Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Sexist, homophobic,nepatistic branch

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

That I had the opportunity to learn some new things. There were a couple of good co-workers. Good benefits. Good pay.

Cons

If your a woman, a welder, and in Trench Safety, You have no chance.
    At my particular branch, 3 sets of family members. I basically lost my job due to sexist, homophobic, people at my branch.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing!!! Stop putting up with the obviously bad employees!! And The obvious Nepotism!!

Shop Tech 1

Former Employee - Shop Tech I in East Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Shop Tech I in East Syracuse, NY

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and bennies depending on how much butt you kiss.

Cons

You are just a # management does not care about you. Managements motto is me first!

Advice to Management

Remember the employees that make it all happen, yes I'm talking about your technicians. without them you would be just grinning and twitting your thumbs nervously wondering what to do next. Oh and stop the age discrimination BS!

3. Good place to grow, make contacts and develop sales techniques. Keep you busy with high profile clients with high demand

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Good 401k large network of stores

Cons

Very fast paced. Customers that are very high demanding

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. Great

I worked at United Rentals

Pros

Pride in work and brought success

Cons

Some Management staff were not fair

Advice to Management

Nothing

6. Service Mechanic IV

Former Employee - Mechanic Journeyman in Paramount, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanic Journeyman in Paramount, CA

I worked at United Rentals

Pros

Comfortable environent
    Friendly confines
    good benefits
    safety first

Cons

no cons at this time

7. Great company if you are in the right location (management wise).

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Great benefits. Good opportunity for advancement if you are willing to lead the right way. Strong company vision is shared from top down. High wages compared to the competition, but a lot more is expected as well. Safety culture is very strong.

Cons

Too much disparity between leadership from region to region. In the South (TX, OK, AR,) upper management is comitted to open communication, training, employee first management, and was still able to deliver company financial goals. In other areas management governs with an iron fist, zero tolerance, and fear. The latter being very disappointing when one has been party to the former.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be more heavily rated on turnover and employee relations. I realize publicly traded companies are beholden to shareholders, but financial performance is only tied to short term success. Employee engagement and quality of life is key to long term success.

8. Wonderful place to work.

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Everyday is a different day with new challenges.

Cons

Some jobs require a good deal of travel.

Advice to Management

Have integrity to tell people the truth. Even if it is not so good news, the truth is easier to take and understand in the long run

Going down hill fast

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Large company with good benefits. There are a lot of good hard working people who do there jobs to the best of there abilities.

Cons

United rentals has become so focused on the way the company appears to stock holders and trying to get new investors by cutting costs and raising it's roca score that the equipment fleet has really gone down hill.
    Rushed inspections of equipment and the whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude toward preventive maintenance has resulted in a overwhelming number of junk being sent out on rent.

Advice to Management

I know middle management is under pressure to achieve quotas on cost / profit but when you send a customer up in a lift (up to 185 feet) it must be done right the first time.

10. Good place to work

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Small company feel big company support

Cons

No bonus program for techs or drivers

Advice to Management

Start a bonus plan for service techs and drivers

11. United Rentals. Biggest doesn't make it the best company to work for

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Big company. Physical working conditions are good. Pay rate is good. Overtime available if wanted. Something different every day because of variety of equipment. Never boring. Day seems to go quickly.

Cons

Policy and Procedure Bulletins are up to the discretion of management to follow up with how they want to.. Because it is written doesn't mean it needs to be followed by management. Going up the ladder with an issue, all the way to HR and believing they are listening and not getting results is very discouraging. The company pushes safety and work stoppages when an unsafe act is seen but no one listens. It seems that most of it is all talk, and United is doing it for company ratings and not the safety of the employee or customer.. United has gotten so big it seems that they have forgotten about the employee. You're just a number anymore.
     Because of its size United is more concerned with how its numbers look to stock holders. Because of the need to get equipment from the prep line to ready line and delivered to the customer quickly, quality is down. Customers are getting equipment that breaks down immediately and in some cases is unsafe. The customer should be the main concern and they are not anymore.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Worry about your employees and customers. Listen to your techs and drivers. We are the people dealing with customers every day with either making deliveries or doing repairs. We hear their complaints when a delivery is late because the tech was in a rush and forgot to plug it in and it wouldn't go on the trailer. Or the road tech gets a call that it was delivered and they only used it an hour and the batteries were dead for the same reason. It 's no fun making excuses to customers about equipment problems when they were rushed thru the rental check.
     PPB"s were written for everyone. They should be followed the same for everyone. Treat everyone equally. It's hard to respect management when they treat matters differently depending on who's involved and who they like better or had more years in the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed