United Rentals

Employer Engaged

inside sales rep

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- great place to work
    - you are apart of a team
    - promote from within

Cons

none at this current time

none

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. There is a lot of opportunity if you are open for it. Many different directions to move your career. This is a company where you are truly measured by your accomplishments and the only limits are those you set on yourself.

Cons

If you don't like change this is not the place for you. If you don't like the way things are, wait a month or two and it will probably change.

Keep the bonus program more consistent. Once you get it figured out it too changes and it seems that it is designed to pay out on a two year cycle. Meaning you see a substantially larger bonus about every two years due to the matrix changing that determines the payout.

URI is a fast paced, constantly evolving company that is always driving poistive change!

Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The safety culture is second to none.
    The diversity in the workplace is awesome, and the senior management support in this area is strong.
    Operations are performing very well with much more room for continued profitable growth.

Cons

Work like balance can be tough to manage as we all work very hard, but it is fulfilling work.
    The industry is cyclical, while things are great now there will eventually be lean days again.

Keep up the great work, and don't forget to pat people on the back some more. Celebrate your victories!

Laid off after 11+ years in 2009 & wish URI would rehire laid off employees!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfield, CT

I worked at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working at URI because of the company benefits, values and mission. I knew that Mike and Matt would take this company to the top, which they did. My skills were honed at this company. I had a great manager who taught me so much. Working at URI were the happiest and proudest days of my life.

Cons

Not much room for advancement for women at our location. I honestly thought URI genuinely cared about long time employees but I believe the old adage "out of sight, out of mind" applies now that the company has grown so large.

Hire back employees who were laid off during the economic downturn. Women need more opportunities for advancement.

What a Fantastic company to work for. You can learn and grow what working hard and having fun.

Current Employee - District Manager in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Midland, TX

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is aggressive, drive with clear direction on what we want and how to get there. We work hard, have fun and get the job done.

Cons

The is not enough hours in the day to get everything done in the manner we would like it done in.

We all need time management training and we need to kaisen every position.

20 + years in the industry and United Rentals is the best company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

United Rentals is the whole package as an employer - Compensation, Benefits, Leadership, People, Community involvement, Vision and much, much more. A company that continues to get better with age.

Cons

Any problems or challenges at United Rentals are the same that you would face at any job in any industry.

I would like to see more of the healthy lifestyle challenges/contests. Improving our personal health will in turn improve performance for the company.

Always Part of the Team

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

United Rentals is an amazing company to work for. Not only is my salary higher than the Industry standard but I have excellent benefits as well! I also appreciate the team oriented culture my opinion is frequently sought after and considered in the decision making process.

Cons

Sometimes important decisions about new initiatives or practices can take too much time to move through the corporate chain of command.

My advice to management would be to continue reaching out to the field for feedback on corporate practices.

Great company that keeps all employees trained and keeps pushing for employee development for future opportunities.

Current Employee - District Manager in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - District Manager in Flowood, MS

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has action plan in place for future growth. United Rentals is an Leader with employees and their customers.

Cons

At times it's seems to be more about the metrics.

At times there's too many training on going at one time.

Unlimited Exposure to new things with limitless opportunity for development and advancement

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Rose, LA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Rose, LA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

United Rentals seeks to promote those who work hard and are looking for long term career opportunities. The have training programs designed to develop their employee's and create bench strength for future growth and change. They are on the cusp of technology and are leading industry change for our business..

Personally, United Rentals has given me the training, support and development to help me advance in my career. I have experienced so many new things and have been exposed to so many new areas of the country and people because of United Rentals. I don’t believe I would ever had these opportunities and experiences with another company within our industry

United Rentals is a family friendly and safe company that provides me with the peace of mind I need to be a good provider to my family both from a financial and presence perspective

Cons

I honestly cannot come up with any Cons with working for United Rentals. You get out of the company what you put into it. Works hard, be patient and the benefits will far outweigh any obstacles you may encounter along the way

Continue to put focus on our team of employees; i.e. Employee Benefits, Bonus programs, Recognition programs, Communications, etc. Happy employees are the most productive and efficient employees

Great company in a fast pace environment.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Aiken, SC

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very strong and growing company. Lots of advancement opportunites within the organization. United Rentals is a fun company to work for and they are always challenging you to become a better leader.

Cons

Too many initiatives at one time.

Sometimes there are too many goals to focus on and we loose focus on the important goals of renting equipment and satisfing customers.