United Road Services

Add Photos

United Road Services CEO Kathleen McCann

Kathleen McCann

car hauler

Car Hauler (Former Employee)
Centreville, IL

I worked at United Road Services full-time for more than 3 years

Prossleeping in a motel every night. New equipment that is taken care of.

Constoo much dead heading. As much traffic as this company has, there should hardly be any deadhead at all. The forced dispatch makes some drivers angry

Advice to Senior ManagementJust work on trying to eliminate as much deadhead as possible so that the drivers are loaded most of the time.

They have bad management.

Accounts Receivables (Former Employee)
Romulus, MI

I worked at United Road Services full-time for less than a year

ProsThey have Good Benefits for their employees.

ConsThey have Bad management for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to set up proper training guide lines. They need to give training to management on how to talk to their workers.

Good opportunity for Carhaul Owner-Operator

Owner-Operator (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at United Road Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsURS keeps empty miles to a minimum, I average 92% loaded revenue miles, excellent in an industry where staying loaded is difficult. Net revenue per mile averages $2.88 plus added fuel surcharges, I have averaged $230,000 gross income in the last two years. Management at
the corporate and terminal level work with O/O's to solve problems that may arise. The recent addition of the Waggoners carhaul division means even more chances to stay loaded. Generous fuel surcharge on most new car loads, other hauls fuel is loaded in the rate.

ConsIn most inter division hauls the originating division keeps a 10% "broker" fee. All insurances are passed through to the O/O, including cargo and liability. At times corporate management are not accessible.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the insurance pass throughs, your 20% should cover some of that cost

okay

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United Road Services part-time for more than a year

Prosgood money for the hours

ConsNO support since original boss left

If you are a dedicated hard worker this is the place to work, I am proud to be part of this great company!

Car Hauler (Current Employee)
Greer, SC

I have been working at United Road Services full-time for more than a year

ProsLate model equipment, steady freight, excellent pay! You are rewarded for all of your hard work and dedication. You get out what you put in.

ConsI do not have any cons because I know that things happen such as break downs or other mishaps, by keeping a positive attitude I have been able to power through the rough parts and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on retaining your valued employees.

Has changed over the years, not for the better

Auto Transport Driver (Former Employee)
Sarasota, FL

I worked at United Road Services as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsUnited Road has been in the auto transport business for many years and have been able to rely on their name and reputation to get drivers to work for them.

ConsThe company is no longer the well paying machine it once was. Drivers spend time, fuel, wear & tear etc... pick up & deliver on schedule and then wait to be paid. Of course, that is contingent upon United Road deciding IF they will pay you. You may find yourself transporting cars for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your drivers (employees and contracted) as you wish to be treated. Sooner or later you will not have professional car haulers if you continue to pick and choose who will get paid and who will be told some soc story and not get paid. I was a CURRENT driver but as of today, consider me a FORMER driver. Working for free is great if you are independently wealthy but it doesn't work so well when you have truck payments, insurance, fuel & upkeep to name just a few expenses.

They are hiding the real rates they are receiving!!

Driver/Car Hauler (Former Employee)
Romulus, MI

I worked at United Road Services full-time for more than a year

Prosday cab trucks, motel every night,

ConsThey say they pay 25% of load but the company is made up of different names and they broker out the loads from main office to URS midwest to the terminal you are out of. By the time it gets to your terminal they have already taken 20-40% off of the rate. Also I have seen them fire drivers for getting hurt on the job. In March 2013 some of the drivers are actually wanting to take a vote for UNION. They are talking to teamsters right now. This would stop the stealing of your 25% and give job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company could benefit with a central dispatch. That would eliminate deadheading past terminals with freight.

not like it used to be

Car Hauler (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at United Road Services

ProsNewer equipment, good benefits, decent income taking into account every other trucking job

Conshmm where do i start.... inconsistant pay policies based on terminal locations, company pits terminal against terminal for revenue, lots of double brokering, all the drivers are treated as if they are worthless, driver suggestions or ideas are never considered, company is very management top heavy, company bids cheap freight then expects drivers to haul it at cut rates,

Advice to Senior Managementenough of the ( un united road) that policy worked in 2005 when there was plenty of work but it is dated and needs to be changed. Fire on the spot! those in sales or management positions that continue to cut the rates of other terminals in order to steal that work. Show some appreciation for the ones that actually do the real work here!!! And take arrogance out of the( management job requirement) nationwide!!!

think twice

Carhauler (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at United Road Services

Prosoutstanding benefits. A/c in all trucks. pretty good training for someone new to carhauling industry. very flexible as far as what hours you prefer to work. health insurance is top notch. vaction pay and/or holiday pay is paid based on how much money you average in a day example: if you average $350 a day this what you will be paid for your vaction and/or holiday pay. this is good because at most jobs if you make only 15$ an hour , but you work alot of OT you would have pretty short paycheck because you usually are only paid 8hrs for holidays and vacations

Consto make any real money you have to work 7 days a week. this is EVERY saturday And sunday otherwise its just an average truck driving job, although as a carhauler you work a whole lot harder than a normal truck driver so this may make someone feel like its not worth it. why drive a truck, go locate your cars in the various ports, to be loaded, load your cars usually 9 to 10 cars, all this in the heat, the cold , the rain and did i mention an error or mistake could result in cargo damage(brand new cars) which in some cases can be the end of your job. so why do this for maybe 5 or 600 dollars a week when you could be a yard jockey,or local truck driver doing drop and hooks making the same money if not more

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Terrible

I have been working at United Road Services

ProsGood Co Workers and nice people.

Consunprofessional director of sales, MH is absolutely dishonest and no good

Worked for United Road Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Road Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Road Services CEO Kathleen McCann. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by United Road Services employees.