United Shore Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
61 reviews filtered by
3.5
Mat Ishbia

Pros
  • Company perks including free pop and on-site Starbucks (in 4 reviews)

• The only pros I can think of are the coffee and pop that are not great but they are free and the building is heated and cooled (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations were set (in 3 reviews)

• There is no work life balance when you are required to clock out but are forced to continue working (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great culture and workplace

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at United Shore

Pros

What an amazing company the focuses on the wellness and comfort of their employees. The company provides work perks that are second to none. From having free valet, free coffee, sodas and an in house starbucks the leadership team has gone above and beyond to create a comfortable atmosphere for everyone to enjoy. The culture is truly amazing. Senior Management has figured out a way to break down silo's by interacting with all team members from the top down.

Cons

Hard to come up with a con for a company that is led by energetic and innovative leaders.

Keep doing what you are doing. The perks are great.

2. Place With Lots of Great Perks, but Make sure it's the Right Fit

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: It's hard to look through reviews of United Shore since, unfortunately, it depends on which team you're on/department you're in that can dramatically change your experience. It's apparent that the Sales Department lives in a bubble that is not much like the rest of the company. The entire company is allowed to dress casual, while sales must dress in a suit and tie, the entire company is not expected nor (usually) asked to work more than 9pm - 5:30pm, the sales teams are almost always asked to stay longer, or if not, offhandedly asked to work from home if they want to grow their business. So, when looking through reviews on here, you may get widely varying opinions and view points, and it will most probably be between people that are in sales, and people that are not.

United Shore has done a lot to create a "family" atmosphere. It's CEO does a lot to try and maintain this feeling, despite having nearly quadrupled it's size in the past 3-4 years, and I commend them on that. There is a definite feeling of teamwork and camaraderie that can be sensed throughout most departments. People are friendly, and really willing to help out where they can. They do stick by their 40 hour work week that they advertise (again, unless you're in sales), and the perks are awesome.

Speaking of perks, I'll list some of them: Free valet parking for ALL employees, an on-site fitness center with treadmills, ellipticals, dumbbells, bicycling machines, yoga balls, and other equipment that's available for $7/month, on-site cafeteria which is decently priced and has some pretty good quality food, free pop/soda stations on every floor, free coffee, free cappuccino, great company events (usually 3 or so per year), and lots of other random things and give-aways that go on.

They preach upward momentum and utilizing the people we have there the best, and while they do a good job for the most part at this, can sometimes be hypocritical in going with an outside person over a very qualified in-house person for positions. There are "leadership" classes which last a month and are supposed to get you "ready to be a leader" within the company. While it's a nice gesture, it seems that 90% of the people that go through these classes never actually get moved upwards (or were already a "leader" before they were in the class). Needless to say though, there is an effort there to harness people from within, which is nice to see.

Cons

First and foremost - The pay. Do not work here if you plan on making a lot of money. In sales, only the top 5% make anything that would be deemed "good", and the rest of the companies positions, save for executives, fall well below industry averages. You're really coming here for the atmosphere, and it's highly suggested you negotiate for every penny you want before you come through the door, because good luck getting much more once you're here, save for the VERY minimal few who actually get promoted to a MUCH higher position. The company operates on a "one time a year review" system which is the only time employees are eligible for a pay increase. However, not all employees are given an increase (2% is considered status quo by many companies for economic inflation purposes), and they tell you, no matter how great of a job you're doing or how much you're lending to the companies growth, that there is a max cap at 3% increase per year. To put that in perspective, if you're making $40k/year (more than a lot of the company) and you get a 3% pay increase (which not all employees will get) you will be making approximately $0.60 more per hour, or an extra $24 a paycheck (before taxes). Aka, pretty much nothing (and that's if you're lucky).

It wouldn't be so bad if this was a small company just trying to make ends meet. However, They tout, all the time, how well the company is doing. How many extra BILLIONS of dollars per year they are making as compared to last, what their earnings projections for the upcoming year(s) are, and have no problem asking their employees to go "above and beyond" to make the company the best it can be and hit it's goals. But then when they do hit those goals, refuse to shell out pay to compensate the employees who got them there. Company parties with free food and carnival rides is great, but I believe (and by talking with) most all employees would take a pay increase to actually help their means to live MUCH MORE than the thousands upon thousands upon THOUSANDS of dollars the company spends to hold events so that it can advertise how awesome it is by having these events (most of it, yes, is for PR purposes).

If you look at what the average employee gets paid in their position here, you'll find out it's on the very low end of what the industry, or even local standard for that position is. However, if pay isn't something you're concerned about, and you're not in sales, and you'd like to have a (comparative to other financial companies) nice atmosphere to work in, then United Shore will most likely be a good fit for you. Which is sad, because if they would pay their employees something more competitive, they really would retain more of them, because as it is, many employees are forced to leave the company due to the inability to receive a worthy pay increase (even if you get "promoted", it usually ends up being a title change and they barely, many times not at all, change your pay), and it hurts the overall projection of the entire company. If they would look at the HR cost of hiring a new employee from new to competent, it ends up being around $10,000. If they would compensate their current, GOOD employees, better than they did now, they would keep so many more, and save themselves money in the long run.

And in case you'd like to dismiss this as "one employees perspective", know that this is MANY of the employees perspectives, and many just wont share with management because they're either afraid to, or don't think that there's much that can be done. I have put this review together through talking with MANY employees throughout the company, which has been able to let me be thorough, as well as hit on many different areas.

Mat Ishbia is overall a great CEO. He cares about the company, and while many may tout that he has a silver spoon since his father is the owner, he really did start from a smaller position and work his way up. Of course, he had a leg up over other employees, but still, he wasn't just handed the CEO reigns when starting, he worked his way up from sales all the way to where he is now, and it has given him a pretty good perspective of the company. He is very humble, and takes the time to walk the floor and talk to the most people there, even though it is a company of over 1000 employees, which really is incredible. However, I understand he wants to grow the business, but by being stingy with the money you pay your employees, the ones you tout in the pillars that are "your greatest asset", it would be nice to see you pay them more fairly, and more competitively.

Tone down the parties, tone down the giveaways, and compensate your employees! It's ridiculously sad to hear of parents having a hard time making ends meet at home because they're getting paid "X", and then the next day get a newsletter saying the company just had it's best month in company history for the "X" month in a row.

3. Changed my life forever

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gave me an opportunity to control my own success and I take advantage of it everyday! Don't get me wrong, the job isn't easy. This job is for the strong! You control everything you achieve here. Very driven environment. Tons of opportunity here! Countless numbers of dedicated people who make up the best place to work in Michigan as well as my career. I've worked at some of the best mortgage companies in the country, and this one is just different. 40 hours only, but a true 40 hours! You can't coast by here, wrong place. Multiple kids and married, work life balance is HUGE for me. Never had to work OT or a weekend EVER.

Cons

Being picky they could offer better 401k options

Don't forget to enjoy the fight to being #1

5. An amazing place to be

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can honestly say I work for the best company in America! We have a leadership team that values our opinions and give us an opportunity to think outside the box, add value and make impact every single day!
    It’s amazing that the CEO or the owner can walk by you and they know everyone by name. We’re a family company and we believe in work life balance. They actually want us to take vacations and to go home and be with our families. It’s truly unlike anything I’ve ever seen in corporate America.
    From the compensation which is excellent, to the bonuses, to the optional overtime, to the world class gym, to the free valet parking and all the amenities that come inside our building; it’s just a great place to be. I’ve referred many friends and family members here and we all feel the same. It’s simply a great place to be!

Cons

Unfortunately we only have one location in Troy Michigan. My husband is considering a job that may take our family to Florida. Although it’s best for our family if he gets this job, I’m going to miss United Shore every day…but I won’t miss the snow ;)

6. Best job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at United Shore

Pros

I wish more big companies took mats approach. He is a true leader. Working here they are not shy to tell you how long it takes to ramp up. If you go in there with a great attitude. Willingness to learn and patience you can reap the rewards. If you plan on going in there and brokers will just start sending you loans this is not the job for you.

Cons

The only and I do mean only con is the time off. We outwork everyone! Even Christmas eve you work pretty late. Floating holidays would be nice, you get 7 days your first year and 13 your 2nd year. That includes sick time. I wish if we worked later on holidays etc they gave us more benefits of a floating holiday. The time off is minimal compared to other companies.

Keep the family environment but let people rest s little more. We work hear rewarding is for that would make this place even better.

7. Surround by unparalleled talent, always given new challenges and opportunities, constantly learning!

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, leadership that practices what they preach, great perks and lots of opportunity to do what you love. The company culture is shocking (in a good way) and refreshing, everyone takes a great sense of pride in work, and with so much opportunity for internal mobility you feel like anyone can ascend through the ranks if you have the right work ethic, attitude and drive. They even have a career coach to help you navigate through potential opportunities. This is a family owned company with a family feel.

Cons

You have to be willing and ready to roll with the punches. This company is very big on getting better which leads to a lot of change. And the changes happen quickly.

No who they project themselves to be

I worked at United Shore (more than 3 years)

Pros

Starbucks, gym, free pop and coffee and valet

Cons

They give a great line to get you to join their company. "Family" "Great work atmosphere" "Fair" and "A fun place to work" All the awards on the walls they paid for. When an employee posts whats it really like to work here, someone goes in and posts what a fantastic place it is to work. There are only a handful of AE's that are making money. The rest are really struggling. Underwriters and support staff are paid pennies and are not treated right. It is a hostile work environment unless you are one of the original employees or a family member of theirs. They do not promote from within, they say they do, but they make up titles to make you feel like you are important. But the pay does not match this. Very uneven across the board. Testing almost every day....ask a question to one underwriter, and ask the same question to another one, and you will get a completely different answer. They do not know what they are doing. They badger the Brokers calling over and over to get a loan, telling them 24 hour turn time....then start it all over again the next day. GREED GREED GREED......meanwhile employees wonder daily if they will have a job the next day. So glad I left for another job. Paid twice as much, and can finally afford to pay my bills and eat. Was never able to do that at United....
    Don't even get me started on the owner Matt....gee wiz...get an education on how to properly treat employees. This is not a basketball team.....

Get rid of the "old cronies" and hire in professionals and quit playing favorites to people who kiss butts of the owner

Actions speak louder than words

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In today's job market, it is awesome to have an employer that is mindful of their culture and wants to bring opportunities to the people of metro Detroit.

Cons

Unfortunately, 90% of the communication from management is an effort to compensate for everything they lack. They are CONSTANTLY plugging the fact that they are a great place to work, and that they promote fun and frienship. The reality is that they care more about finding ways to criticize your efforts and making people feel the they do not work hard enough and do not deserve any kind of pay raise. This is their biggest double standard.

The other major issue is that they tell everyone that they have a fair evaluation process for internal moves, when the most significant factor in promotion is along the lines of a popularity contest. Many internal transfers are disguised as promotions. Offering $0 or a $2-3 pay inscrease. They are very secretive about the amount of pay a person can expect when they apply for another job, and they use these moves to show they value employees when most everyone that moves was tricked to do so with the promise of more pay. The jobs that truly offer significant pay increases are reserved for those employees that rub elbows with the right people in management.

Be more realistic with your people. Avoid constantly telling your employees that it is such a great place to work when most just want a little more pay.

United Shore Response

Feb 9, 2015Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are always working to improve our communication and set accurate expectations.

In regards to communication, we are implementing monthly leader/team member check
    ... More

Amazing!!!

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing building, CEO is everywhere and is hands on, great career building, and tons of room to grow within

Cons

Sometimes there are too many meeting, but not a huge deal

Keep up the great work!

a good place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is potential for very large commission

Cons

very detail oriented and micro managed

focus on better metrics to drive sales