United Site Services

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Carapezzi

Forgetful, glad to have moved on...

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsPros:
    Free pizza every other Friday
    Somewhat flexible hours in sales
    Hands off management (or uninterested, either way)
    Good base salary

ConsCons:
    HR is NOT friendly
    Porta-potties and trash containers
    Management is too hands off. My Manager had 9 direct reports that all sat in the same area, yet he was not involved. Did not help me through 1 sale/situation.
    Sales also does collections! Hahaha...
    Very poor communication between markets.
    Decisions on sales are made by Market Ops Mgt (really bad idea).
    Very poor inventory.
    Equally poor inventory systems.
    Also, if you give your 2 weeks notice, you'll be let go without pay.

Not a good opportunity. Take this job as a band-aid until you find a real opportunity.

Sooooooo boring!

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 5 years of service you get a United Site jean jacket. That's not how to attract and maintain talent.

It was not a good experience. I wasted a coupe of good earning years with this outfit.

Account Manager-Construction Sector (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a good benefit package and none of their paychecks bounced...that's about it.

ConsA lot of turnover. Very poor customer service is a service driven industry. The pump truck drivers while most are good employees, it only takes a couple to make life a living hell. Because of a lack of quality candidates for the position, they take anyone with a heartbeat that can string a few words together to form a complete sentence. Lower and middle management, the ones I dealt with were completely incompetent. I went thru five managers in my two years there. USS grows their business by acquiring all the local mom and pop shops, so the customers with a need for their services have no choice but to use them. Many, many headaches because of the lack of satisfactory customer service. Calls from construction project managers 6am thru 7pm dealing with complaints and irate customers. Made me want to put a bullet in my brain

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the customers, don't alienate them, price gauge them and then don't hold up your end of the service bargain. Otherwise, you'll have a short reign in the industry.

This company buys company's only to devalue them.

Lead Service Driver (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsIf you work for a company that is purchased by this giant, your first two years are going to be sweet! When the take over begins this group does everything to make you feel like all of your years of service and hard work means a lot. You will receive good benefits and lots of overtime.

ConsHere comes the rub, as you work on this group will take away sick time personal days and bonus's. but the hardest thing to watch is the lack of attention that is given to those around
    You both co-workers and customer alike. You be locked in your pay rate and your benefits will cost you more yearly,up to 25% of your monthly pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooking ahead you would be well severed to be more focused on mid-management control when left with the rains. People make a company strong, the team in place when the new company was purchased must have done a lot right because that's why they were bought.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and Management is Awful

Finance (Former Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsNice offices, lower co-workers are very nice people, free pizza, free coffee, free soda. Benefits are good.

ConsManagement overworks you then uses it against you that you are not performing up to par. Management does not support workers even though they do their best to appear to. Co-workers are always working to cover themselves to stay out of trouble. Moral is not good amongst workers and causes underlying tension in the office. Sad because there are so many nice people. There is a definite mistrust going on between Management and their staff. You better put on a happy face and learn how to play politics to work here, or you will be out the door!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more in touch will your people and stop using your poor staffing levels against present workers. They work SUPER hard and it's clearly not appreciated. Management holds false faces just to get along. They act like monkey's, just so they don't get into trouble either.

Broken Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reliance, WY

ProsTwo years of being employed and never found a pro

ConsManagement is never the same because of high turn over.50 hour work week with 70 hrs of work. Work over 50 they will adjust your time so 60 hr will be paid as 50. If you quit, safety award will not be paid out if you quit after the 365 days. The list goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementSell out

Blind side employees and they lie

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsNice office, free pizza once a month, decent pay and benefits

ConsWay overworked and they don't care if you can get your job done. Not honest with employees performance then use it against you. Management is not supportive. They find ways to fire you. Complaints are never handled and you will be in a loosing battle trying to handle conflicts. If you are a 'yes' person you will surely do well here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more in touch with their employees and understand the work load they expect to happen and support them, knowing it cannot all get done in a timely and efficient manor because the staffing is too low for the size of the company.

Slave Labor in the Year 2012 !

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsFree Company Coffee and a Lousy Paycheck !

ConsWhere do I start ?!
    1] Antiquated Technology
    2] Crummy Middle Management
    3] Lousy Corporate Communication

Advice to Senior ManagementTry walking around your Sales/ Customer Service Departmnents more than once a Year !

Don't expect professionalism at a porta-potty company.

Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI negotiated a good salary for myself. They had benefits, but they were minimal.

ConsSenior management and executives lead through intimidation. These people will scream and cuss at you to get what they want. They will berate you and beat you down in public and they do NOT want you to disagree with them or show them a better way. Employees are hired based on friendships and fired based on grudges. I negotiated my salary and they held it over my head the entire time, telling me that I had to move closer to the office or they'd fire me. It was the most toxic environment I've ever worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your customers and your employees first. Listen to them. Treat them with dignity and respect. Modernize your order entry, inventory, and routing systems. Stop the cussing and yelling and 'mafia' management style. Create an inclusive and empowering culture.

it's a job

Prosflexibility in my schedule/location where I work

Consno central government, each yard has their own rules

Advice to Senior Managementcentralize

Overworked with no plan for assistance

Corporate Employee (Current Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsCompensation and PTO is adequate, company is making an effort to recognize employees, technology driven, good hands-on experience, colleagues are friendly to work with

ConsNot staffed correctly for the amount of work that is expected by upper management, no employee loyalty, extremely low morale, too much talk of the company not having money and too much transparency about transforming the company

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan on staffing more people if you want quality employees to stay with the company, make an effort to support career paths. Thinking things through will not prolong projects and cause people to work overnight to make up for your shortcomings.

Worked for United Site Services? Contribute to the Community!