United Space Alliance

United Space Alliance Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

United Space Alliance President & CEO Virginia Barnes

Virginia Barnes

Pros
  • Great people worked there before Shuttle Program was shutdown(in 17 reviews)

• The work life balance with working for United Space Alliance was great(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management unable to generate new business when shuttle program died(in 27 reviews)

• They tried to diversify, but their hands were tied by their parent companies Boeing and Lockheed(in 12 reviews)

Memorable experience working on shuttle program from return to flight to last launch.

Engineer III (Current Employee) Titusville, FL

ProsExcellent work environment. Ethical decision making at its best. Good work life balance. Paid vacation between christmas and new years. Great people.

ConsNASA is slow "very slow" to adopt new technology / ideas. This seams counterintuitive but its a fact. There is way too much paperwork / time between the engineer or technician with a good idea and actually implementing the idea. This was seen towards the end of the program. When there was only 2-3 years left people kind of gave up on making any major process improvement knowing that it would not be implemented by end of program.

Processing the Space Shuttle

Ops & Processing Staff II (Former Employee) Cape Canaveral, FL

ProsWorking on the Space Shuttle program as part of the USA team was a great experience. Aside from my day job, I got to watch shuttle launches up close and enjoyed working with dedicated teams. When the program ended, USA was extremely proactive in transitioning employees to new job prospects and training. That is not typical for most aerospace companies.

ConsUSA had a fair pay scale but raises and promotions were too scarce. Engineers were treated really well, however.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more opportunities for growth.

United Space Alliance, LLC

Technical Operations II (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt was an enjoyable place to work, allowed me to see NASA and the space industry up close and offered me the opportunity to move around within the company and develop a wide range of skills.

ConsThe company provided work-life balance. Opportunity for meaningful training and advancement opportunities was extremely limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So long to the US shuttle program

Proswell organized, large organization and important work.

ConsContract instability, inflexible management, RIF of large talent pool

Things most people never see.

Aerospace Technician (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWas able to work with astronauts, watch shuttle launches and landings, see things most people never get a chance to see.

ConsToo dependent on shuttle program.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to expand to other programs or industries.

A company that truly values their employees

Ops & Processing Staff III (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI always felt like I was a person of value. My contributions were appreciated.

ConsNot all management had the proper training to be in the position they retained.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when they bring forward a departmental matter. Don't ignore potential problems as simply a complaint by a frustrated employee.

Great Company, Great People

Computer Science Staff IV (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSafety, Pride in workmanship, NASA Support

ConsEnd of life of company caused by parent companies not allowing for exploration of new business, and, close out of shuttle program, with no follow-on program. While President Bush started the closeout of shuttle, we had a follow on program, that, while it was not perfect, it was a continuation of space exploration. The current president, along with others at his side, canceled that program, and left us utilizing other countries to get us to the ISS. Very poor way for the United States to be the leader in space exploration!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They too will have to find other jobs, once USA is shut down.

Great company

Engineering Staff II (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCares about employees. Does what it can to help to employees.

ConsWill not be around much longer.

Excellent organization - Quality/Customer service/Employee Oriented

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Titusville, FL

ProsOffered opportunities for career development and advancement.

ConsN/A - great employment experience.

Decent Company to Work For

Business Operations Staff (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Opportunities, understanding management, decent pay

ConsEnd of shuttle program = end of work

Worked for United Space Alliance? Contribute to the Community!