United States Congress

United States Congress Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

United States Congress Vice President of the Unites States Joseph R. Biden Jr

Joseph R. Biden Jr

Pros
  • Fast-paced work environment in the great city of Washington, D (in 6 reviews)

• You really feel like you are making a difference in peoples lives, the benefits are good and the work environment while hectic can be fun (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, low pay, high cost-of-living expenses (in 8 reviews)

• some office don't promote from within, a lot of turnover, low pay and no overtime compensation, long hours, office politics (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, exciting, fun.

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of work in the office.

ConsLarge gaps between assignments in the office.

Congressional Intern

Congressional Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInteresting work, hands-on experience - given a lot of responsibility quickly, which is great as an intern. Can also meet a wide variety of people quickly.

Also: Paid internship, respectable salary, transportation benefits

ConsDepending on which offices you work in, the age group of your coworkers can vary widely

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement appointed by Congressmen, could possibly change every few election cycles - not applicable

Great opportunity - once in a lifetime

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat access to all levels of government and policy makers, fast-paced environment, decent degree of autonomy.

ConsPolitics! But really, the main con is the lack of pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the staffers: check your egos at the door; we're all here to work. No need to bring an attitude. To the Congresspeople: listen to the people! :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working on the Hill is the best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIn the middle of all the action

ConsLow salaries and grossly overworked, but always worth it.

Getting more difficult

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosproximity to the capitol; your fingerprints on policy; lots of other passionate staffers and peers; free reception food and alcohol; benefits are good

ConsExperience depends on individual office environment; salaries at an all time low due to budget constraints; little stability due to the electoral process; long hours; threat of furlough

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using our salaries and benefits as a political weapon

Congressional Intern

Congressional Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPros:
    Get to work at DC
    Get to work with Congressional aides
    Exposed to legislative side part of the government
    Participate in very cool lectures with special guest lecturers (i.e. Colin Powell, Stephen Colbert and Kevin McCarthy all did one when I was there)
    Tour the national landmarks

ConsYour experience kind of depends on the position of your Congressman, the higher the position, the cooler the experience.
    You will do a lot of nothing sometimes
    Constituents can be extremely rude
    Learn to love "mundane" work

Rewarding

Public Relations (Current Employee)

ProsNice Resume Builder. Allowed first hand understanding of the operation within the United States government.

ConsPessimistic View. No pay, Micro Managed

Great place to work and learn if you position yourself correctly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to some of the most exciting work in public policy and some of the most talented policy and political experts you will ever meet. The work can be extremely fulfilling, when you can actually get something done. There's also the ability to move up without having an advanced degree, but it requires hard work and networking.

ConsThe pay is very low and, depending on the Member, you can be extremely over-worked. Policy issues work in cycles so if your issue is not a hot topic at the moment, or again depending on the Member you work for, you might get bored. Congress also isn't accomplishing anything right now, which makes it an extremely frustrating place to work.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou feel as if you are making an impact- the employees all strongly believe in the Congresswoman and make you feel a part of the team. Everyone there really cares. Got to meet the congresswoman a few times and they even bring some interns to events to represent the office- it was really nice!

ConsNo pay. Receive multiple calls from angry constituents. Brainless/tedious work (transcribing the congresswoman's speeches, answering and logging phone calls, etc.) at the end of the day- it was worth it because when people see it on your resume they are impressed.

Slow moving and unfulfilling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI got to "see how the sausage is made," as the saying goes. My experience was interning on a committee, so it was more research-based than working in a member's office.

ConsThere was a distinctive lack of "hustle," and I did not feel a sense of urgency about any of the work. I found many staffers to be closed-minded in regard to political disagreements and dismissive of different opinions, to an extent that I felt it hampered the quality of the work.

Worked for United States Congress? Contribute to the Community!