United States Congress

Updated September 2, 2014
3.8

United States Congress Vice President of the Unites States Joseph R. Biden Jr
Joseph R. Biden Jr

Pros
  • You really feel like you are making a difference in peoples lives, the benefits are good and the work environment while hectic can be fun (in 6 reviews)

• Fast-paced work environment in the great city of Washington, D (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, though people are intelligent, they may not be friendly (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours, low pay, high cost-of-living expenses (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Congressional Intern

Former Employee - Congressional Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Congressional Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Pros:
    Get to work at DC
    Get to work with Congressional aides
    Exposed to legislative side part of the government
    Participate in very cool lectures with special guest lecturers (i.e. Colin Powell, Stephen Colbert and Kevin McCarthy all did one when I was there)
    Tour the national landmarks

Cons

Your experience kind of depends on the position of your Congressman, the higher the position, the cooler the experience.
    You will do a lot of nothing sometimes
    Constituents can be extremely rude
    Learn to love "mundane" work

Rewarding

Current Employee - Public Relations
    Current Employee - Public Relations

I have been working at United States Congress as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice Resume Builder. Allowed first hand understanding of the operation within the United States government.

Cons

Pessimistic View. No pay, Micro Managed

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at United States Congress as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You feel as if you are making an impact- the employees all strongly believe in the Congresswoman and make you feel a part of the team. Everyone there really cares. Got to meet the congresswoman a few times and they even bring some interns to events to represent the office- it was really nice!

Cons

No pay. Receive multiple calls from angry constituents. Brainless/tedious work (transcribing the congresswoman's speeches, answering and logging phone calls, etc.) at the end of the day- it was worth it because when people see it on your resume they are impressed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and learn if you position yourself correctly

I worked at United States Congress full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to some of the most exciting work in public policy and some of the most talented policy and political experts you will ever meet. The work can be extremely fulfilling, when you can actually get something done. There's also the ability to move up without having an advanced degree, but it requires hard work and networking.

Cons

The pay is very low and, depending on the Member, you can be extremely over-worked. Policy issues work in cycles so if your issue is not a hot topic at the moment, or again depending on the Member you work for, you might get bored. Congress also isn't accomplishing anything right now, which makes it an extremely frustrating place to work.

Slow moving and unfulfilling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Congress as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I got to "see how the sausage is made," as the saying goes. My experience was interning on a committee, so it was more research-based than working in a member's office.

Cons

There was a distinctive lack of "hustle," and I did not feel a sense of urgency about any of the work. I found many staffers to be closed-minded in regard to political disagreements and dismissive of different opinions, to an extent that I felt it hampered the quality of the work.

It was boring and didn't give me any growth potential.

Current Employee - Legislative Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legislative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at United States Congress full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was sometimes interesting when congress would work on an issue that was interesting. The problem was that that hardly ever happened.

Cons

There were many components of the job that were frustrating and boring and didn't help me with career growth in any way.

Unplug the phones! There are way too many crazy people who harass congressional staff all day long. There obsess over issues that they do not understand.

A hectic whirlwind of paperwork, image manufacturing, and late nights with lots of coffee.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Congress as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Got a good feel for why the government, and more particularly Congress, is so disliked on the national scale of government branches by the public. An obese bureaucracy riddled with a cancerous amount of lobbying money that essentially eliminates any ounce of the concept of "one person, one vote."

Cons

See the Pro above ^.

Shrink Congress drastically.

Fast-paced environment but worth it.

I worked at United States Congress

Pros

Small positions build a great résumé, great benefits, and gets you and inside look to all the issues without bias from the media.

Cons

Must be ready to work long hours during campaign seasons and when congress is in session. Your plate is never too full.

Not applicable

After working with the House of Representatives I gained valuable insight to the inter-workings of Congress.

Former Employee - Staff Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Congress as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working environment and culture is outstanding. Congressional members treat everyone with respect and dignity (assuming you are doing good work).

Cons

Workloads and working hours can be demanding. If they need you, you must work. It is as simple as that.

Continue treating your employees with respect. It will show with the work product those employees produce.

Learn something new everyday.

I worked at United States Congress

Pros

Great sense of purpose, and a true understanding of governmental operations.

Cons

Stress, and 70 hour work weeks

United States Congress Photos

Worked for United States Congress? Contribute to the Community!