United States Department of Energy Reviews

108 reviews filtered by
3.5
United States Department of Energy Secretary of Energy Dr. Ernest Moniz
Dr. Ernest Moniz

Pros
  • Most supervisors were very supportive of teleworking and work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• job security, research and development ok (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was not always supportive of ideas from lower level management or employees (in 4 reviews)

• A lot of red tape to get things done, cleared (in 3 reviews)

Good work life balance, lots of red tape.

Current Employee - General Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - General Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at United States Department of Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance, nice people and interesting work.

Cons

most days feel like you are running in place, but if work life balance is your goal, then why not?

try to empower and delegate to your employees - too many senior folks try to do it all themselves.

2. Too much energy

Pros

Energy labs are outstanding and I was proud to be able to visit the Argonne labs in Chicago. The work is very much needed in the UsA that they do.

Cons

At the division areas, the last thing you want to do when you come to an new agency is look for the protocal. This seems to be the norm here at headquarters.

Create a manual for each department

3. DOE

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at United States Department of Energy

Pros

Long term, stable, lots of work

Cons

Management and red tape, hard to move around. Some of the work is beyond dull.

5. Great mission and fascinating work, but hard to move around and gain experience

I have been working at United States Department of Energy

Pros

Great values, good people and strong mission-oriented focus. Many of the employees are extremely competent, talented and hard-working

Cons

The usual bureaucratic issues: things are slow, inefficient, some people act like they are retired on the job.

6. Great chance to experience work in the federal government

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Department of Energy

Pros

Access to a lot of great people, great learning experience

Cons

Slow paced and quiet work environment

Find ways to recruit/retain interns to full time positions

7. Fun Atmosphere, Interesting Work

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Department of Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Most people are smart, driven, and motivated, but not competitive.
    Surprisingly fun social atmosphere for young people. New people are made to feel welcome and included in the social circle for lunch, weekly drinks, baseball games, parties, etc.
    I started as a summer intern and the pay was almost twice as high as most of my classmates.
    Great work/life balance and flexible hours.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be soul-crushing. I spent two months working on a research paper with my boss, who had himself been working on the project for 6 months. He couldn't get his boss to review the report for publishing for almost a year, by which point the data was outdated and the topic already thoroughly covered in the media. This kind of thing happened monthly. Made me feel like we were wasting tax money.

Reduce amount of hoops to jump through needed to publish a paper. There should be a way to by-pass someone in the review process. My manager's boss isn't going to make time to read a 20 page white paper on a topic he isn't interested in. My manager should have another person to turn to.

8. Auditor

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Department of Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, highly competent staff, great front-line managers, and a lot of flexibility.

Cons

There was a lack of trust by management at the front line level and as a result was an obscene amount of review that went into every report written. The IG was also very tight with the budget, so expect mid-20th century furniture.

9. Great Opportunity for Interns

Former Intern - DOE Scholar in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - DOE Scholar in Washington, DC

I worked at United States Department of Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunity for interns. I am a graduate student and was able to take on responsibilities on par with my education level. I was very trusted by my supervisors and given many chances to learn from my peers and superiors both inside and outside of my department.

Cons

The internship program caters too much to undergraduate students. They had very low workload expectations and treated some of the interns like high school students...

Make separate programs for graduate and undergraduate students. There is a large difference in the professional experience and knowledge, which should be addressed.

10. Great working in this organization

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at United States Department of Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, with great people.

Cons

The work isn't as challenging as one would expect.

11. Manager

I worked at United States Department of Energy

Pros

Excellent Employer would recommend to anyone interested in federal employment

Cons

None - Excellent Employer would recommend to anyone interested in federal employment

United States Department of Energy Photos