United States House of Representatives

Updated August 27, 2014

3.8

United States House of Representatives Speaker of the House John Boehner
John Boehner

Pros
  • Rewarding work, interesting projects, fast-paced, constantly changing, never boring (in 11 reviews)

• Terrific expertise development for the legislative process and for policy knowledge (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Typically Congressional staffers work long hours and salaries aren't as high as people think (in 28 reviews)

• low pay, hard to transfer into private sector unless related to politics (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship opens doors, great on resume, but not meaningful

Current Employee - Legislative Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legislative Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at United States House of Representatives as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people you meet. Almost anyone is willing to sit down with you for a cup of coffee and to give career advice--take advantage of this. You will learn a lot about politics and legislation, and attending briefings and hearings is really amazing.

Cons

No pay for a heck of a lot of work. I recommend doing a part-time internship, though with a full-time internship sometimes you get more interesting tasks. Mostly you will be answering phones and having constituents yell at you, writing thank you notes for the Member of Congress, folding letters and sealing envelopes.

Interns should be paid. They do the work that no one else has time to do, and yet the office would not run without them.

Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at United States House of Representatives as an intern for more than a year

Pros

-Great work environment, mostly young peopled, very relaxed work atmosphere

Cons

Work assignments usually not very challenging, many times no assignments or anything to do. This was true for the staffers and LAs, as well, it seemed.

House of Representatives

Current Employee - Communications Director  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at United States House of Representatives full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides the opportunity for a tremendous amount of upward mobility and exposure to a wide range of experiences.

Cons

Roles are burdened with bureaucratic red tape and many times work is inhibited by slow moving approval processes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved being an intern

I worked at United States House of Representatives as an intern

Pros

The place is full of history and people you see help steer the direction of our country. Most people are respectful and will give you a unique perspective of things you tend to only hear about on TV.

Cons

You'll come in bright eyed and with your ideals, but you won't necessarily be totally disheartened when you leave. You'll leave with a different perspective. Hours are long and there's no pay.

It has been a good experience working for a member of Congress and I hope it will lead to better opportunities.

Current Employee - Constituent Services Representative  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Constituent Services Representative in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Interesting work/valuable experience, learn lots about government, good benefits, good connections, federal holidays

Cons

Overbearing chief-of-staff, getting yelled at by insane constituents, divisive politics

Appreciate your employees and compensate them appropriately.

Long hours and little pay but unforgettable experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United States House of Representatives full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a part of the legislative process from the inside is an incredibly unique experience. The people you meet, the action you witness, it's one of a kind. The work hard, play hard attitude makes for great stories, receptions and happy hours too.

Cons

High supply of eager workers and few spots means little pay. Hard to get your foot in the door but once you're in, there's great opportunity to move up or around.

Worth the Sacrifice

Current Employee - Senior Attorney
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney

I have been working at United States House of Representatives full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The ability to make a direct difference to the American people is outstanding. The network and connections gained through this experience is priceless.

Cons

Work-Life balance is very troubling as there is mostly only time for work. The grid-lock in the U.S. Congress hampers the amount of well-needed bills that are passed and overall substantial oversight measures taken.

Great experience and learn a lot from congress....

I have been working at United States House of Representatives

Pros

Great experience and learn a lot from congress...!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Not really have some cons as the schedule is really flexible and you can communicate with other interns and staff.

Leaves you jaded

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Being close to the legislative process, access to snacks, lots of free food events. You feel like you are part of a team

Cons

Seeing how corrupt some politicians are and seeing how typically they vote for or against a bill solely to keep their job

I was given a great opportunity to serve my country.

Former Employee - Congressional Aide  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Congressional Aide in Washington, DC

I worked at United States House of Representatives full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was able to work with and meet many elected officials and do work that made a difference for our country.

Cons

Most of the work is in Washington, DC

Worked for United States House of Representatives? Contribute to the Community!