United States Steel

United States Steel Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi

Mario Longhi

Pros
  • Good benefits, every company has issues but your attitude determines your latitude(in 21 reviews)

• Salary good regular, overtime pay and benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent for those in the infrastructure department(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is relatively down to earth especially John Surma(in 13 reviews)

Once great, now struggling

Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFairly good benefits and opportunities for advancement. They typically recognize and reward hard work and talented individuals. The product lines cover a great number of important and valuable industrial sectors and the material is in demand. Had an excellent focus on safety and made great strides in improving performance over the past few years (but has been slipping recently). Ethics has also historically been a very strong part of corporate culture.

ConsUpper management is in a state of tremendous flux - virtually the entire C-suite is new with no one there with more than a few years with company. Aging facilities and declining infrastructure with poor focus on keeping current with market needs - most typically a follower, not a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage employees and listen to their suggestions. Too much reliance on consultants.

Disappointing and unhappy.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and salary. Non-union employees receive an annual bonus based largely on the company’s financial performance and safety record for the year, but is also based on individual and team performance. This bonus wasn't much in past years due to company’s financial performance. It was better than nothing though.

-Some good and hardworking people

- Work-life balance/flexible scheduling is available at Headquarters but mainly depends on what area/department you are in and your manager. If you work for a good manager, you should be ok. But beware the opposite.

- Historic and iconic American company

- Large corporation so there are lots of different areas to work.

-New executive management from outside the company has some promise. Perhaps the last hope for this company to turn things around. It will not be easy.

Cons- A lot of miserable, bitter, and low-morale co-workers. These were mainly employees who had been with the company  a long time. A few confessed they were only staying with the company because of the “good pension plan”(newer hires are on a different plan). Mix that with near constant job and pension uncertainty and you get this problem.

- They have trouble retaining employees younger than age 30. Most of the people I knew who left the company before and after me were in this range.

- Outdated company culture and management style. They are behind the times in most things. Times have changed and people aren’t looking to stay at one company and a pension for their entire working lives.

- No real orientation when you start or take ongoing training classes if you work at Headquarters.  You don’t really feel like a part of the company.

-Incompetent middle managers that seem to follow their superiors around from job to job within the company.

-Little to no change management. Entire company is resistant to change, from  most of the executives all the way down. That is a recipe for disaster. Because of the lack of change management and company culture, their ERP software transition and deployment has been very poor. The project is on Year 7 with no concrete end in sight. Very bad project management.

-Employees feel disengaged and disheartened. Negative atmosphere. Also a common “poor us” mindset based largely on the company’s recent struggles and uncertainty.

-Little to no appreciation for employees. My new employer recognizes “National Employee Appreciation Day’ but I never heard of such a thing while working at US Steel.

- Poor physical working environment at their Business Service Center due to cramped, windowless rooms, outdated furnishings, narrow hallways, and peeling paint.

- Very political and bureaucratic. Lots of red tape.

- Safety stance and message  is overdone within Headquarters. The company takes safety seriously and is obviously needed due to their plant locations, but it is too much at the Headquarters locations. I get they need a single corporate stance on safety, but to hold department/team monthly hour long safety meetings and go over things like stapler safety, door safety, and Halloween safety is just a waste of time and bewildering. The same safety information is pretty much repeated annually.  I felt I was being talked down to by needing to go over a three page document on how to properly use a stapler.  Also, they pretty much ingrain safety into your minds at other meetings and even leaving your worksite. Too much focus than what is needed there and it makes people tune out the message. Safety is important, but that was too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company could have the potential to be good again, but it looks less likely every year. Appreciate your employees better, especially those who are sticking through your transformation process. Also, move the culture and management into the 21st century.

Excellent company to work for!!

Management (Current Employee)

ProsStrong Safety Culture Safety comes first!!

ConsManagement is overloaded with cumbersome paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the Talk...and have an open door policy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has a great history and amazing employees.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsCoworkers are the most amazing and dedicated people.

ConsEmployees do not feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are your greatest asset. Retention should be a focus.

24 years /BIG CHANGES COMING / MR. L onghi is going to make us #1 again.

Ot1 (Current Employee) Clairton, PA

ProsGood pay,you can move up from within if you're willing to work.

ConsSwing shifts, forced overtime,union has NO power.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is on the right track/ safety,safety,safety.will equal PROFITABILTY.lower management is poorly trained.

Old culture, resistant to change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros401k plan is excellent and pay is competitive. The company is one of the last great American companies.

ConsToo political and the legacy processes are inefficient and ineffective. Also, building sways in the wind and everyone gets sea sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your younger employees. I was working harder than most pensioners, but my total compensation was much less.

good variety of work, but ...

Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are some great, hard-working people and potentially a lot of variety in the work. There is opportunity to travel and there is always something to learn, from making steel to doing business.

ConsStifling leadership, despite claims of change. The employees are hungry for true leadership and communication. Instead, there are huge egos that pretend to communicate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page before asking your employees to make sense of your vision for the company.

Smart people suffering in a horrible culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company that used to provide lots of opportunity for advancement, growth, and movement. Benefits are generally very good and salaries are great - if the company is making money and the bonus is paid out. The new Executive team recently hired is a glimmer of hope for this suffering company.

ConsThe old idea of being loyal to a company has basically been destroyed by the recent management at this company. People are no longer an asset, but rather treated as easily replaceable commodities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around and listen to the people at the "bottom" rather than relying on middle management to provide a biased view of what's really going on. Hold HR accountable for doing more than providing pretty powerpoint presentations and pointless initiatives - they need to take a more hands on approach and actually talk to the people they are suppose to support.

Great co-workers, management clueless.

Shipping and Railroad Services (Former Employee) Ecorse, MI

ProsYou are paid very well, and the benefits are substantial. You will have opportunities to learn new skills according to seniority.

ConsIt is a hot work environment, often dirty. The union does not back you if management decides they don't like you personally even if your job performance is exceptional. Women's rights are a joke there. It's a boys club. If you don't mind forced overtime and abuse from management then by all means apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease educate your management about the areas they work in, the workers, the activities going on in that area of the plant, most of them have no clue, and don't want a clue. Learn to treat your workers better, a little respect goes a long way. Quit trying to hide around corners and get people fired!

It all boils down to your department and whom you deal with in this company. Make a name for yourself and you'll be OK.

ProsGrowth potential, many areas to switch to, big company, decent perks

ConsStill in early stages of company restructuring

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training your best employees to become better. Train your leaders to develop future leaders.

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!