United States Steel

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Not yet rated.

United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi

Mario Longhi

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, every company has issues but your attitude determines your latitude"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Top notch benefits, good pay, good bosses if you are in the right department and division"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is non-existent for those in the infrastructure department"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management is relatively down to earth especially John Surma"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wish I hadn't taken their job offer 4 years ago

Unsatisfied Member of Low-level Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros• Salary and benefits are very competitive.
• There are many hard-working, talented individuals you will work with (at least temporarily)

Cons• Management at this company is outdated and frequently filled with micro-managers. The exception may be Mario Longhi who is a relatively recent addition to the executive level and might move this company out of 1901 or 1970 (depends upon where you are in the vast reaches of the company)
• Poor Communication on all levels
• Terrible business processes and zero interest in reviewing or making changes
• They do not reward or promote based on talent- it's based on nepotism or becoming a favorite of someone already in management.
    o Also depending upon where you work in the corporation you can forget a promotion if you are female- there are currently two departments that have absolutely zero female members of management. There's a pool of female applicants that put to shame the males hired to replace management members that have left or been promoted. And management didn't listen to lower members of managment to reward some of these talented womend. One woman was even offered a position and had it taken away before anything was officially announced due to "the need to have additional applicants for review" (a well-connected guy from the plant with 0 experience in our particular focus was choosen over her for a management position).
• They are working on improving technology and remote work capabilities, however, like all things at this company it's at a snail's pace and poorly implemented.
• I could give a full dissertation on their inability to implement organizational change, but let it suffice to say they are incompetent at it, despite paying billions of dollars to consultants over the years to improve.
• The USS culture continually serves to tow the company line intended to make the current levels of mid and upper management look better than they are. Lord help you if you are very efficient, capable, have a number of degrees in your field and want tell the truth (nicely) about the problems facing the corporation in an earnest attempt to help improve it. You'll get your hand slapped faster than you can blink and once you are on someone's list you can forget about upward mobility.
• In regards to upward mobility- there isn't much currently and not likely to be for another 5-10 years.
• There’s a lot of inefficiency, and time-wasting tasks are commonplace in this environment
• There is relatively high turn-around for younger, talented workers, mainly because no one wants to stick around under the above conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementUSS is in desperate need of young talent and less management (at least at the corporate level).
Management levels in my area expanded rapidly despite zero need for them. Large portions of the management I've encountered are incompetent and/or outmoded.
This company needs to modernize, review its business processes and do it without their current lackluster approach to change.
I fear you will find USS falling far behind its competitors in the coming years with little decent talent base remaining to continue as a Steel giant if you don't make some serious changes.

Management is still in the 1800's

Process Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice benefits, close to home.

ConsNo room for advancement, salaries based on how long you've been there not hard work. Management treats employees very poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, interact with them occassionally rather than making them feel inferior. Show occassional appreciation.

General Review of U.S. Steel Texas Operations

Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee)
Lone Star, TX

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits, and fairly competitve pay.

ConsHorrible scheduling. The most terrible scheduling of anyplace I've ever worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from otber companies, that a good schedule makes for happier employees

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, fascinating process, poor leadership.

Shift Manager (Current Employee)
Granite City, IL

I have been working at United States Steel

ProsPeople seem to have an overall respect for one another as long as efforts are made to do what is expected. I really enjoy the process and am continually fascinated by the equipment.

ConsLeadership at this facility is lacking. I personally prefer leaders that provide a clear vision as to where we need to be and a clear desciption of the current status.....

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a purpose and goal. Too many people here for a paycheck only and to stay out of trouble.

Wish I never would have come....

I have been working at United States Steel

ProsGood benefits, including Pension and excellent company match. Medical, dental, vision, and the cost to the employee is not bad.

ConsMicro-managing manager level employees with multiple degrees
Zero flexibility
No such thing as work-life balance
Force you to eat lunch at the cafeteria because nothing else is around
Terrible work culture
Expect people to dedicate lives to job with very little in return
Very condescending management-believe you have to yell and fight to get anything accomplished
Talks down to union employees
Management feels the need to yell at everyone
Very behind times with work-life balance (no flexible time, telecommuting, alternative schedules)
Doesn't understand why anyone would ever want to leave company (most employees have been here at least 15 years).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times!!! Offer more in terms of work-life balance. Don't expect work to be someone's life, many people work very long hours and shift for very little in return. Stop yelling at employees over minor issues and insisting that there is someone to blame other than yourself. Yelling accomplishes little and people tone you out eventually.

Like having a life? Don't work here.

Tin Production Worker (Current Employee)
Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel

ProsVery good health benefits, pension plan, and good pay. Also offer a 401k plan, with no company matching though. Nothing else really to speak of.

ConsShift work, no family life.
Can be scheduled anywhere from 8-16 hour shifts at management's discretion.
Zero tolerance attendance policy is ridiculous.
Management always says it has the right to schedule us as needed. Hope you don't ever want to make plans!
Never knowing what your schedule will be for the following week till 2 days before it starts.
Very hostile environment from management, always using fear and intimidation.
Doing anything they don't like results in a write up.
Don't maintain equipment, but will spend money to paint everything but not fix any issues the production lines have.
Safety is preached but is a complete joke. It is also a burden because some of it is just redundant and unnecessary. Often it is used against an employee as well.
Accidents do happen U.S.Steel, not everything was because of a failure to recognize a hazard, that's not the basis for every accident that happens. "Employee was unaware of their surrounding." That's one the company loves to throw around as their fall back reason anytime they can't figure out a reason to directly blame the persons involved.
Union and management relationship is not good.
Too many good workers get treated unfairly while the one's who are worthless and sit around and do nothing for full turns or sleep get away with it constantly.
Unless your an upper management, you will get treated like dirt.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring totally incompetent workers and managers. And try to treat employees like human beings, not robots. Happy employees are much more productive then those who are in constant fear of losing their jobs.

Very good

Research Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at United States Steel

ProsGood benefit in the area. Nice working environment.

ConsA lot of traveling. Need balance with family.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication with employees.

Rust Belt Oldie Still a Goodie

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at United States Steel

ProsUS Steel is an old company. Founded in the 1890s, it is still holding its own. It has a service center where the sclerotic upper management has its H1-B visa holders attempt to update its technology in a rather haphazard way.

ConsIf you ilke abuse, condescension, low wages, and the like, then this is the place for you! If you like to feel alienated from the intellectual products of the hours spent from your life, work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should stop being abusive and condescending to people with multiple master's degrees. Technical management should be more aware of recent developments in software engineering management.

Great Benefits and Decent Pay, Very Limited Promotion Opportunities

Account Representative (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at United States Steel

ProsBenefits, Pay, Tuition Reimbursement, Mobility

ConsLack of advancement, volatile industry

Boring and Slow

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours Free Parking Decent hardware

ConsBoring, lack of exciting work
Everything moves slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give more people an opportunity to learn new things. Things move at a snail's pace around the office.

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United States Steel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United States Steel CEO Mario Longhi. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by United States Steel employees.