United States Steel Reviews

3.8
United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi
Mario Longhi
1 Rating

Pros
  • Fairly good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 24 reviews)

• Salary good regular, overtime pay and benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent for those in the infrastructure department (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management is in a state of tremendous flux - virtually the entire C-suite is new with no one there with more than a few years with company (in 14 reviews)

1. Maintenance Manager

Current Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Portage, IN

I have been working at United States Steel (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay and they are willing to work around personal needs.

Cons

Long hours and some weekends

Advice to Management

Put money into your machines

2. Very racist at the portage plant

Former Employee - Utility Tech in Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Tech in Portage, IN

I worked at United States Steel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay great overtime

Cons

six month probationary period with no union protection, and racist people in the position of power.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly.

Good Money, Good Benefits, Bad Management, Bad Atmosphere

Current Employee - Team Technician in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Team Technician in Portage, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most jobs are well compensated, and the insurance benefits are good.

Cons

Employee morale at this company is abysmal. There are some good managers, but a majority of them are bad with people. The atmosphere is hostile with management over-disciplining employees and failing to train and man jobs in ways that eliminate needless overtime. Good employees are not rewarded for their service, and bad employees are left to become worse. Everyone in this company is stressed out, the managers yell at each other in meetings, the hourly workforce is subjected to unwanted overtime (that can be avoided), and a large majority of the workers seem to suffer from depressive symptoms. The theme seems to be "I hate my job, but the money is good, the economy is bad ... I have no choice but to deal with it"
    The situation is sad because this company is profitable despite its TERRIBLE culture. Imagine how much money could be made if managers actually managed ethically and productively, workers were better utilized to minimize stress-inducing, morale-defeating overtime, and everyone stopped pointing fingers and blaming each other for problems.
    I have worked at this company for over 20 years. I am saddened that I have to write such a poor review about a great and historical company with roots that trace back to the very beginnings of the Industrial Revolution, but this job has become and example of the type of job I preach to my kids to avoid at all costs.
    If all you need is income, you may be able to deal with this harsh environment. But I would recommend considering a lower salary from a better company so that 10 years down the road you are not stressed, depressed, regretful, and resentful.

Advice to Management

Consider advancing experienced hourly people into management positions. Insist on ETHICAL treatment across the board. Stop the immature screaming and cussing that happens in management meetings ... REWARD managers who have GOOD relationships with their employees. Research and implement ideas to begin to OVERHAUL the negative culture that seems to permeate every corner of this company. And for God's sake, TRAIN AND UTILIZE the employees you have. Too much talent is wasted in this company.

RSS Feed </> Embed