United States Steel

Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi
Mario Longhi

Pros
  • Good benefits, every company has issues but your attitude determines your latitude (in 21 reviews)

• Salary good regular, overtime pay and benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent for those in the infrastructure department (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is relatively down to earth especially John Surma (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Cash Flow & Profit

Current Employee - Foreman  in  Fairfield, AL
    Current Employee - Foreman in Fairfield, AL

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Paid well for job skill

Cons

trying to improve the bottom line

Need to be sure all the plants are operating at 90 % production . You should not buy a steel company unless you know it will have enough orders . There is to much cost in operating all these plants at low levels of production . Also you need to process every ton to a finish product as much as we can to increase the profit of the product . We could process more of the coils into more of a finish product .

New and Young Engineers Beware.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very good hands experience working with a lot of different systems and dealing with very difficult (set in there ways) people. The benefits better than average and salary is OK.

Cons

The company is very micro managed. If you work at a ex National Steel location (Great Lakes Works, Granite City Works or Midwest) the environment is toxic in that everyone is so negative about everything (actually hates USS ) and does not want to work together. I think this resulted from a lot of bitterness when national went bankrupt and pensions were lost. Internal departments would rather fight each other than actually solve problems. The average age of the work force is probably in the 50's (management and hourly) and a lot of people have 25 - 40 years of 1st year experience (this is how we have always done it attitudes). If you have an engineering degree and are offered a MA position please really consider if this is the lifestyle you want. No matter what they tell you there is about a 95% chance you will be working weekends, holiday and swing shift and a lot of "just be here" and "hurry up and wait" moments. This could be for 10 years of even your entire career. The only way this will not happen is if a division manager likes you or you have family that is in management working at the mill, there is a lot of nepotism. If you do decide to work there be careful that the attitudes and horrible unprofessional management style does not wear off on you, this is extremely hard to do day in and day out. There is no work-life balance and promotions are limited after being bumped up from a management associate to shift manager (maybe a 10% raise) which typically takes a year or so. Promotions are then just based on a combination of time you have worked there and politics (dad use to run a dept,etc...).

Stop hiring engineers as MA and turning them into front line supervisors. Consider replacing all ex national steel management to get rid of the horrible attitudes towards the company. Also get a better union contract for the company in place. Need to be able to have "hybrid" union workers (like the rest of the world) that can operate a line and also perform maintenance. The company needs to lean up to survive. With the new executive management team the company might have a chance to survive in the future and I hope it does because there are a lot of good american jobs on the line.

Frustrating, but at least I get paid well for it

Current Employee - Shift Manager I
    Current Employee - Shift Manager I

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Excellent pay (as long as you adhere to the weird rules, see cons) with overtime (could be suspended at any time, but I haven't seen it suspended since I've been working here), decent benefits.
    - Training was good for me, but I had a special year-long program. Try to look for opportunities like that.

Cons

- Weird rules regarding overtime and pay. I won't go into details, but it can mean that you don't get your full pay. Also, your immediate boss is king when it comes to pay, they can do whatever the hell they want within reason and you might end up getting screwed sometimes.
    - Dear god, ask about hours before taking the job. I didn't know anything about downturns and outages going in and I wished I asked.
    - Infinitely complex levels of upper management. I'm at the lowest level and it sucks being stuck between them and dug-in union workers that have seen countless foremen before me and everyone ends up hating each other.

The "crap rolls downhill" mentality doesn't help me do my job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work if you are made of stone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

On an individual, case by case basis, the people are very decent. This applies to both management and union employees. If you have a tough skin, don't mind if the company owns your life, and can truly ignore the big-picture politics, it can be a decent place to work. The benefits and profit sharing can also be substantial.

Cons

This is a very anti work-life-balance company. Most of the positions, especially out at the plants, wont think anything about placing employees on call all the time, 24 hours a day. They also claim to have flex hours, but this doesn't really work when trying to schedule flex hours around the endless streams of constant meetings. Depending on the position, it is not uncommon to push some people to work 60 hour work weeks.

Although lower line managers tend to care a good deal about the people that report to them, it seems that the further up the ranks of management you get, the less the organization seems to care about the people who work there, both union and non union alike. High level major decisions, ones that have a significant impact on the working life of many employees, are often made without telling anyone about what is going on until after it has happened. On a daily basis, there is also always this very subtle subtext of a perpetual cold-war-like stalemate between union employees and management. Union employees are always quick to file grievances with the union against management. Management seems to be continually searching for ways to prove their union employees are not doing their jobs.

Although employees are a resource, do not call them that and make them feel as if they are nothing more than a number on some ledger, or a tool or piece of equipment that can be tossed around and abused at whim. People are people too. This may be all it takes to make US Steel great.

Once good - but going down fast.

Current Employee - Corporate HQ  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate HQ in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Descent pay and benefits. Work with some really good people. Depending on your manager, some work schedule flexibility.

Cons

New senior management has no loyalty to the company or respect for the people who have worked there for years. BIG power struggle is causing conflict and bad business decisions are being made. No communications with employees - rumor mill is the only way to find out what is going on. Lowest employee moral in years.

Instead of getting rid of and ignoring the employees with the most business knowledge and experience, listen to them and work with them to help the company become profitable again.

I worked at United States Steel for over 35 years. I've also worked in several department through the years.

Current Employee - Credit Associate  in  Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Credit Associate in Pitts, PA

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The department is very flexible regarding work hours and is a relaxed work environment. Able to wok independent with some guidance from supervisors.

Cons

In todays market the work force has decreased and will see continual changes through the year.

I have several credit managers that I can go to at any time. I can consult with them at any time with personal and work related problems . Time-off policies are very flexible.

Interesting place to work

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary, benefits are excellent. Good people

Cons

Training needs improvement; environment is tough

OK Company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Troy, MI

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many current changes bringing on a very interesting time

Cons

There is limited room for advancement

Unscrupulous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ecorse, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ecorse, MI

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good money and benefits. Pension is nice as they match for managers and pay for most of your schooling, if it relates to current job position.

Cons

Horrific upper management! Plant level managers not much better and their amount of care for your well being is non existent. Expect your life to revolve around their facility, 16 hour days are normal.

Looks good on a resume. Great experience working with all facets of steel making processes. Have a back up plan as they will clean house at the drop of a hat.

Business Structure of Company Will Drive You into The Ground

Current Employee - Management Associate
    Current Employee - Management Associate

I have been working at United States Steel full-time

Pros

Great company for a union worker. Good People; Great benefits. Within a couple years you can go move up quickly.

Cons

Old facilities; No consideration of work-life balance; Poor pay and training program for new Management Associates. No real training program but yet you get a significant pay cut. Extremely short-staffed across the company.

If you wish to retain your future management, change your MA program immediately. Morale of your employees is low - everyone fears to keep their job.

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!