United States Steel

Updated January 19, 2015
2.8

United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi
Mario Longhi

Pros
  • Good benefits, every company has issues but your attitude determines your latitude (in 24 reviews)

• Pay and benefits- they are very good, will pay you for over 8 hrs if you are there long enough (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent for those in the infrastructure department (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management is relatively down to earth especially John Surma (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good initially, Bad recently.

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Surrounded by many hard working, intelligent, dedicated employees. Good benefits. Good bonuses if the company is doing well. Dedicated to safety.

Cons

Groups are very bureaucratic and disorganized. Management lacks direction and few have true leadership qualities. An employee with energy who wants to add value and ideas will quickly get worn down in this environment. Outdated "USS is the world. Don't mess up." culture needs to change if company is to grow and retain good people.

Good internship experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at United States Steel as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the time, people are willing to help/teach you.

Cons

Potentially dangerous work environment. Constant struggle between union and management.

Show more appreciation.

Human Slavery

Former Employee - Driver -- But Put In Warehouse in Lone Star, TX
    Former Employee - Driver -- But Put In Warehouse in Lone Star, TX

I worked at United States Steel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There was nothing good about working for this company.

Cons

all about money, slavery, working long hours without breaks, in 100+ temps with heavy FR clothing. Men were passing out from it. The work was growling and there was favoritism not based on any seniority or job performance--- only personal preference.

Unethical, prejudice, slave drivers.

Shift Manager GCW

I worked at United States Steel

Pros

Easy work, no real responsibility except showing up. I heard good racist jokes, I was amused at how much more intelligent I was than my uneducated area manager.

Cons

No innovation, throw back culture, boys club, small town mill with small town boys club mentality. Filthy, unsafe, people only dedicated to a paycheck. Resistant spoiled work force with no labor pride or craftsmanship.

Management doesn't exist. Management blends in with union staff so well, it's almost as if the roles are reversed. No one respects the management. Managers don't respect each other. A wash.

Great Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in a department where all the people are really nice and helpful. I had a wonderful boss who always tried to find ways to give me educational opportunities.

Cons

My department was very flexible. My boss was completely understanding of having a personal life and willing to work with you if something came up

New and Young Engineers Beware.

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good hands experience working with a lot of different systems and dealing with very difficult (set in there ways) people. The benefits better than average and salary is OK.

Cons

The company is very micro managed. If you work at a ex National Steel location (Great Lakes Works, Granite City Works or Midwest) the environment is toxic in that everyone is so negative about everything (actually hates USS ) and does not want to work together. I think this resulted from a lot of bitterness when national went bankrupt and pensions were lost. Internal departments would rather fight each other than actually solve problems. The average age of the work force is probably in the 50's (management and hourly) and a lot of people have 25 - 40 years of 1st year experience (this is how we have always done it attitudes). If you have an engineering degree and are offered a MA position please really consider if this is the lifestyle you want. No matter what they tell you there is about a 95% chance you will be working weekends, holiday and swing shift and a lot of "just be here" and "hurry up and wait" moments. This could be for 10 years of even your entire career. The only way this will not happen is if a division manager likes you or you have family that is in management working at the mill, there is a lot of nepotism. If you do decide to work there be careful that the attitudes and horrible unprofessional management style does not wear off on you, this is extremely hard to do day in and day out. There is no work-life balance and promotions are limited after being bumped up from a management associate to shift manager (maybe a 10% raise) which typically takes a year or so. Promotions are then just based on a combination of time you have worked there and politics (dad use to run a dept,etc...).

Stop hiring engineers as MA and turning them into front line supervisors. Consider replacing all ex national steel management to get rid of the horrible attitudes towards the company. Also get a better union contract for the company in place. Need to be able to have "hybrid" union workers (like the rest of the world) that can operate a line and also perform maintenance. The company needs to lean up to survive. With the new executive management team the company might have a chance to survive in the future and I hope it does because there are a lot of good american jobs on the line.

Good pay, long hours, biased management

Current Employee - Eot Crane Operator in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Eot Crane Operator in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay if you are willing to work a lot of overtime, most positions come with bonuses

Cons

Difficult to move up or around within the company

Treat employees fair and they will work harder and be more productive

Cash Flow & Profit

Current Employee - Foreman in Fairfield, AL
    Current Employee - Foreman in Fairfield, AL

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well for job skill

Cons

trying to improve the bottom line

Need to be sure all the plants are operating at 90 % production . You should not buy a steel company unless you know it will have enough orders . There is to much cost in operating all these plants at low levels of production . Also you need to process every ton to a finish product as much as we can to increase the profit of the product . We could process more of the coils into more of a finish product .

I worked at United States Steel for over 35 years. I've also worked in several department through the years.

Current Employee - Credit Associate in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Credit Associate in Pitts, PA

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The department is very flexible regarding work hours and is a relaxed work environment. Able to wok independent with some guidance from supervisors.

Cons

In todays market the work force has decreased and will see continual changes through the year.

I have several credit managers that I can go to at any time. I can consult with them at any time with personal and work related problems . Time-off policies are very flexible.

Interesting place to work

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits are excellent. Good people

Cons

Training needs improvement; environment is tough

United States Steel Photos