United States Steel Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. ut technician

I worked at United States Steel full-time

Pros

plenty of hours when business is booming. Between 60 and 84 hours a week. Great benefits when you're off probation.

Cons

depending on the temperature outside, it can be either very hot or very cold in the mills. A lot of people will try to get over on you so it's advisable to always stick tot he books

Advice to Management

do surprise walk arounds/inspections.

Management Associate

Current Employee - Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is decent and the benefits are great. I have been working here for about 6 months and have liked the people that I have worked with so far. My Area Manager is an amazingly diplomatic and knowledgeable person, so that part of my experience is great. Some people are extremely focused on creating a culture change. SOME people. Safety is a high priority.

Cons

FEMALE ENGINEERS BEWARE!!!

The steel industry is hurting, and US Steel claims they are looking to create sustainable business practices. This mainly involves putting extreme pressures on management to find any way to cut costs. I understand the idea is to eliminate waste, and spend money on maintenance to save money in the long term, but I have not seen any of that. We are working with less personnel, less equipment, and less time than ever before and it is hurting production.

They claim to prize diversity and have no tolerance for sexism or the singling out of any one group of employees, but as a woman I have not experienced this at all. This is the worst company I have ever worked at when it comes to treating women as equals. My co-workers are great, but the company as a whole is not.

There is virtually no harassment training ( 10 minutes of an online module). I recently found out that the Flame Retardant clothing the company purchases for PPE is available in a women's cut. When I asked about having a few pair of pants ordered for me, I was informed by someone at the Headquarters that they "do not offer nor have ever offered any women's FR clothing styles and have no intention of doing so either' and that I will have to order a mens size. The PPE supply company was also instructed not to supply these items to me or anyone who works for US Steel who inquires about them. This is unbelievable that this company that has this statement on their career website:

U. S. Steel is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a workforce of talented, diverse people - all working together in an environment where employees can excel and contribute to high-performance results for our company, shareholders, customers, and communities. We believe that to compete in today's marketplace, diversity and inclusion must be demonstrated in our company's practices and programs and through the tangible actions of our employees at all levels of the organization.

When we respect and value our differences and engage our employees around common goals, we create an environment that encourages employees to reach their fullest potential and contribute their best work.

I also have not seen this from the corporate organization. Diversity and Inclusion should be encourage by all levels in a company, and they are not. I you are a woman, don't expect to get any respect outside of you close co workers.

Advice to Management

Follow though with the values of the company. Stop using jargon and manufactured phrases to improve your business. Words will only go so far in helping save this company from disaster, and alienating part of your talent pool will get the company into trouble sooner than they think.

3. If you're looking for career advancement, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Labor Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Labor Relations Representative

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package
    Great place to learn
    Close to home
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Management argues with staff
    Management only respects staff that curses them out
    No opportunity to advance
    Sick of hearing from mgmt, just be thankful you have a job
    Always afraid we might get laid off
    No flex schedules

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees as their opinions matter

Offer flex schedules, family time is important and would increase employee morale, which would increase productivity

Laid off after 20 years service, possibly because I brought the issues below to light.

Former Employee - Accounting/Administrator/Team Lead/Training Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits and pay along with nice people to work with

Cons

Don't care about their employees. Saving pennies by laying off workers where they could be saving millions by laying of the overabundance of managers who do not contribute like the hourly and exempt employees who actually create the product and sell it. Also no reason for who they lay off and who they don't. I worked overtime, worked through lunch and worked on volunteer projects (without pay) and yet they laid me off and not people who spent about 5 hours working a day because you are a number and they do not know what each individual contributes.

Advice to Management

Look into the purchasing department if you want to save money. There is so much graft there that you would never have to lay a single employee off, just by fixing the payoffs in the purchasing department. Also these purchase people along with managers take products home, paid for by US Steel and build homes, cabins, inground pool, etc. And I have seen it done.
    Not to mention the entertainment paid for by vendors so that they get a contract where they then jack up the prices. We I ordered products, I could find the same item for hundreds less on the regular website for the general masses and yet the so called discounted prices for our company were way far and above the cost for normal people. But we had to order through these contracts where the overpricing was and not the normal website where regular people could order at a much loser price whether it be for a pen or a large piece of equipment. Again MILLIONS could be saved here.

6. Interesting characters and management

I have been working at United States Steel full-time

Pros

Interesting place to work, but the corporation is very heavily structured, which leaves little room for innovation. Work-Life balance was good for staff, but operations sucks. Easy to stand out by working hard, however you won't necessarily get anything for the extra work.

Cons

People promoted based on tenure and not merit. Difficult to get everyone to work together for a common end goal. Reactive procedures that are to short sighted.

Advice to Management

Rating system should not take 6 months and employees should be assessed on merit and value to the company.

7. The union employees at this facility know how to make world class tubular products.

Current Employee - Millwright
    Current Employee - Millwright

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Dependent on the oil industry.

Advice to Management

Learn more about the jobs themselves.

8. I'm a journey Electrician in the steel making caster sector of operations. I'm all electrical repairs.

I have been working at United States Steel

Pros

Different fascist of the job skills used. You work with AC and DC. Overhead cranes and PLC'S.

Cons

Steel sector market wise is a roller coaster. Job stability year to year is always a issue.

Very poor experience.

Former Employee - Maintenance Electrician in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Electrician in East Chicago, IN

I worked at United States Steel full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. The people there were awesome, made some good friends. Got to see incredible equipment.

Cons

No communication, no training. Lack of proper tools, expected to know everything. Got bird dogged while you're trying to fix something.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate, and train. Stop expecting employees to know everything. Treat us with respect and we will have no problem performing work for you.

10. Great company

I have been working at United States Steel

Pros

Good atmosphere and great people

Cons

Rely to much on face time

11. Great pay, unmatched benefits for hourly workers

Current Employee - Industrial Electrician in Fairfield, AL
    Current Employee - Industrial Electrician in Fairfield, AL

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, not impossible to make 100k a year with overtime. Free BC/BS insurance for hourly employees

Cons

Old company set in ways. Refusal to upgrade old equipment and little chance for advancement

RSS Feed </> Embed