United Stationers

Be The First To
Add Photos

United Stationers President and CEO P. Cody Phipps

P. Cody Phipps

Pros
  • Company is very supportive of work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• job was close to home with good pay & good benefits(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work-life balance and disrespect between associates ignored by management(in 3 reviews)

I experienced a lot of personal growth, very rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for a very high growth company.

ConsOld corporate philosophies sometimes got in the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the high performers appropriately and promote these people above the malingerers.

It's OK - If you have the right Director

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTries to do the right thing by it's employees if you are in the right group.

ConsCompany is a little dysfunctional and does not understand shipping/receiving and customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what the customer wants/expects and make it happen. Policies are written to protect internal processes first and not satisfy the customer.

solid company

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

Prostake care of their employees, even in layoffs
    involved in giving back to community

Consminor layoffs every couple years
    Modest raises
    Hard to advance after certain point, lots of tenured people in senior roles just coasting

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress middle management bottle neck

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Transportation Management team has zero experience in real world driving applications

Driver (Current Employee) Carol Stream, IL

Prosco workers are awesome ...vacations and bonuses when they feel like giving the to you. if you make the simplest error they take your bonus..when management errors it is forgotten,

Constransportation management has no clue. zero years experience driving constantly pushing safety meetings on a team over drivers with 20+ years experience and an impeccable safety record.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to people who have real life experience.

Got in with a great team and great supervisors

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsMy supervisors have taken it upon themselves to make sure that I am maximizing my opportunities. Company is very supportive of work/life balance.

ConsCompensation is low compared to other similar-sized companies in the area. Not an industry leader in terms of technology, but trying to get there. As with all companies, some politics and red tape.

Senior analyst programmer

Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

Proswork life balance is good.

Conssalary is low. promotion possibilities are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecongize internal talent and contributions. and promote them to higher designations.

Fortune 500 or Unfortunate INFINITY

ProsThe people around you are usually what keep you coming to your job. Somewhat job security if you fly under the radar and keep your mouth shut while making the same salary (or less) year after year (starting after Mr. Gochnauer left).

ConsPay has decreased over the years even though a "quarterly review" pie graph with some color try to convince you otherwise. They change to a more expensive (for the employee) health care offering (which charges you to have a spouse) and then send letters asking why their costs have increased more than yours have. Internal systems make the vendors that do business with them cringe at how archaic the processes are. Managers that are part of the "good 'ol boy" club and have no educational background are rewarded to move up in the company. People who stream YouTube and Pandora are rewarded; if not promoted regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line defense of your company. The MBA professionals that you have hired are more figure heads than industry leaders. Don't let your ego get into the way of vendor and customer relationships. Creativity and entrepreneurship are the keys to success in our dwindling business.

route supervisor

Route Supervisor (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosgood hours driving and length of routes

Conslot of hours depending on daily routes

Advice to Senior Managementgood upper management, however several operations managers lacked management skills

Company just okay

Channel Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsCoworkers are nice, PTO is convenient, 401k is okay.
    They are finally investing some resources internally, but at the expense of letting others go. So we're expected to do more with less which I understand, but when we start sacrificing customer service, that is a problem.

ConsCan't work from home, limited internal advancement. Making investments internally but not always investing in the right way.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! The working world is changing. You need to adapt and let us be more flexible so you can retain us longer.

Good company, takes care of employees, but dont expect to make a transfer internally.

Manager (Current Employee) North Chicago, IL

Pros-Telecommute in some departments
    -Flexible work arrangements
    -Good crowd of folks
    -CEO isnt holed up in his office- very down to earth.
    -Reviews & promotions are fair
    -Room for negotitation when made offer (external)

Cons-They take forever and a day to make a hiring decision. And if your internal, they just might not get back to you at all. When I came onboard, it was a full month before they decided to hire me. Internally, on the other hand, there are issues everywhere. HR will keep giving you the "Ill follow up" line, when they could just ease your worries and send you an email stating you didnt make the cut. Even longer wait for answers than if you applied externally. My take- yes, the company/culture is GREAT, but if you intend on progressing to a different department entirely, you might run into a snag.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your people informed, or you might lose some valuable talent that can quickly be picked up by another Fortune 500 company...There are 1000's of them. :)

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!