United Stationers

Be The First To
Add Photos

United Stationers President and CEO P. Cody Phipps

P. Cody Phipps

Pros
  • Company is very supportive of work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• job was close to home with good pay & good benefits(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work-life balance and disrespect between associates ignored by management(in 3 reviews)

Good company, takes care of employees, but dont expect to make a transfer internally.

Manager (Current Employee) North Chicago, IL

Pros-Telecommute in some departments
    -Flexible work arrangements
    -Good crowd of folks
    -CEO isnt holed up in his office- very down to earth.
    -Reviews & promotions are fair
    -Room for negotitation when made offer (external)

Cons-They take forever and a day to make a hiring decision. And if your internal, they just might not get back to you at all. When I came onboard, it was a full month before they decided to hire me. Internally, on the other hand, there are issues everywhere. HR will keep giving you the "Ill follow up" line, when they could just ease your worries and send you an email stating you didnt make the cut. Even longer wait for answers than if you applied externally. My take- yes, the company/culture is GREAT, but if you intend on progressing to a different department entirely, you might run into a snag.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your people informed, or you might lose some valuable talent that can quickly be picked up by another Fortune 500 company...There are 1000's of them. :)

Great company to work for. Many perks, good benefits, fun environment.

Customer Care Representative II (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEmployee discounts, fun environment, open door policy, super clientele.

ConsSome plans are not executed well.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from the employees living the day-to-day task when developing new programs or procedures.

Decent company to work for but don't expect too much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsPay was good for the type of work. Benefits "were" decent. Ability to work around your schedule if needed at times. Vacation time was fair. 401k

ConsCompany has shown less and less care for workers in previous years. Freezing pensions and lowering top salary. Health benefits have changed and now cost more for less coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking benefits away or making them worse. There is only so much a certain amount of people can do. If you keep cutting in departments the quality of work will go down and the injuries will go up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good atmosphere but limited growth opportunities

Engineer (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsIt is a solid company and people are great to work with. Teamwork is encouraged and internal processes are very professional.

ConsVery limited career advancement opportunities. Some departments were favored over others.

Director of National Account eTail Channel

Channel Manager (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsStable company with pretty good operations

Consno career path past middle management

All the talent has left. most were run out...

GOM (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPay sometimes depends if you work at Lagasse ( bad pay) or United (good pay) It all started out good but as management got ahold of dept's things went to hell and in a hurry.

ConsManagement and H/R neither were very friendly. And you would thing that H/R was going to be a Dept. that you could trust. Yeah right. A bunch of back stabbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to people. And I can't believe I have to say this to the H/R Dept. but DITTO... be nice to people.

Tsk, tsk.

A Title is a Lose Term @ United (Former Employee) Orchard Park, NY

ProsThey employee about 5,000 people. They have an excellent dedication to the community.

ConsCheap. Cheap with pay increases -not even the rate of inflation, benefits are less and less each year. Got rid of retirement plans. Moved to a PTO system rather than just plain old vacation/sick/personal time. They set unrealistic financial goals as an excuse for their frugal ways while still being able to look good to shareholders. They pride themselves on being a Fortune 500 company but consistantly are at the bottom of the list. United certainly is not a leader in the industry nor as employers. Systems are completely outdated and cumbersome. Not just for the employees, but for the poor customers trying to navigate! Respect levels towards hourly employees are little to none. They are treated as if they should be lucky to have jobs when in reality they drive this company and should be viewed and treated as valuable. It seems the less intelligent you are, the quicker you are able to move up the corporate ladder. Maybe that is because you are then more of a "bot"? (most of management won't even know what that means) I would bet my life all the really good ideas, processes and procedures came from hourly employees. But managers are not too dumb to take credit! Another reviewer stated the management feigns concern, and I believe that is true. It's as if they take classess because they all use the same mannerisms and verbiage. I guess the more apt you are to brown nose, be a superior's pet, whatever you want to call it, the more you can get away with and the less you need to be productive. Every company has cons. And it's just my opinion this one has more than the average.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money! Get with this century. Take the lead, stop being followers. You have subpar service), subpar systems, subpar attitudes, subpar intelligence. Strive to be the best of the best. Learn how to spell, speak and act like professionals. Meh, I could go on but honestly, I don't care and you probably have some makeup to put on, or food to eat, a golf date to make or a text to send.

Company Going Down Hill!

Customer Care (Current Employee) Suwanee, GA

ProsDecent pay and vacation/pto. Discount with Att&t or Verizon. In Suwanee, GA, Gwinnett County.

ConsManagement doesn't know what they are doing, all about service level, could care less about dealers/ customers as long as they make their goals. Understaffed since high turnover rate. Company is struggling to compete with prices with competitors. Used to be a fun place to work, NO where to move, no growth at all. Very easy job taking orders and returns.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a fun place to work, value your employees! Customer care reps are who drive this company! Make them happy, don't stress them out. United should be like Zappos! Not a funeral home! Don't up prices in a middle of a quarter. Dealers are not stupid. Appreciate your employees.

Welcome to the 80's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsTelecommuting only in some departments, decent benefits, good senior leadership, great volunteer opportunities, good associate network groups.

ConsSeveral employees are living in the past and have a childish mentality that includes telling on people. Change is a word that scares most...but not all departments are bad. Everything new is really from about 5-10 years ago.

I don't know how some people are managers or directors...just because they have been there for about 20 years and used to be the most knowledgeable a long time ago. There are people who don't know how to use great programs like excel or even laptops (wow). Definitely not the best place for young people to work at.

There are 2 different companies - United Stationers has more departments which people are miserable in. Lagasse seems more friendly and open to new ideas....has a younger crowd which definitely helps.

If you try to apply for a job in a fueding department, they probably won't hire you because of your background. There are also too many new people in some departments that have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoffs aren't always a bad thing. I couldn't ever be promoted in my dept unless I waited 10+ years. It would really be beneficial to find out how employees feel and do a massive clean up. There are a lot of people who are going to hit retirement...and in order to get fresh new talent, you need to make sure changes. It is a pretty good company but there's a few departments that are ruining the image.

Good pay... to be treated like an expendable worker ant

Order Picker (Shelf) (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe pay and benefits were actually really good for a warehouse position. Much better than most other warehouse positions out there.

ConsYou're treated as though you're nothing better than a worker ant. You're looked down upon by certain superiors. They do a good job of feigning respect for you, but in actuality they care very little about you. There is one person in upper management at the Denver facility that is an extremely nice guy and I would have loved to work for him. I interviewed with him as opposed to my direct manager, and therefor was fooled because my direct superior turned out to be terrible.

As an example of no concern for you: I was hospitalized on a Sunday with an injury sustained outside of work. I get back to work on wednesday after recovering and find that I'm being written up for not giving 24 hours notice for missing work; Even though a call was placed to my manager ASAP after getting out of the hospital on sunday. I understand that the policy of 24-hour notice is put into place so that people don't abuse sick days and leave everyone else shorthanded that day, but when I'm in the hospital, with a semi-serious injury, to show no leniency or even concern for my health what-so-ever is just poor managing. They don't seem to grasp the concept that a happy worker is a productive worker.

They give you "check-marks" on your record for various infractions. If you get something like 6 check-marks on your record, you're terminated. They also give you somewhere around 6 sick days, but because of the "24-hour notice for missing work" policy, you are given a check mark whenever you actually use them for the intended purpose of calling off when you wake up with a 102 degree fever. You do the math!

I showed about as much interest in advancing within the company as i possibly could. i volunteered to learn every position possible within the company, yet this was very rarely acknowledged. I stayed late to help finish work a few times, yet was rarely acknowledge with so much as a half-hearted "thank you." After that, i just stopped volunteering for it because it obviously wasn't appreciated. The second the clock hit the end of my shift, I was out of there. I'm not going to help you if you don't appreciate me!

Thinking back about it now, most of this review is actually centered around the manager of my department. He wasn't an evil or mean or terrible person or anything like that, he just really doesn't know how to be a manager. He just needs some training. I sometimes worked in other departments and the managers were reasonable, from the little I was exposed to with them. So I don't know that this company is a terrible company to work for, so much as this one department is.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the upper management would be to make sure that the people you promote to manager are truly management material. I would suggest some sort of training for it as opposed to just putting someone in there that has never even been a lead, yet alone a manager.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!