United Stationers Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
77 reviews filtered by

1. Manager is great

I worked at United Stationers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Manager is very effective and efficient esp in getting you acquainted with your role

Cons

Some employees are whiners but talk behind manager's back instead of discuss issues to management

2. warehouse

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

A very stable company to work for. Good benefits, training and the ability for advancement. You must be able to manage in a big box environment and be comfortable managing metrics.

Cons

There are some weak supervisors which can hurt you since you are all on the same team. Exit 8-A too much congestion on the TPK

3. United Stationers is a great and rewarding company to work for. They believe in doing the right thing by their employees

Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at United Stationers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

United Stationers provide a work life balance for there in employees and believe in the overall health and well being of its employees.

Cons

The only pros to working for United Stationers is that if you work anywhere besides HQ in Deerfield, there is not much room for advancement or growth within the company if you are already in management.

Advice to Management

Management was fair over all. Would suggest adding more training and opportunities for lateral and promotional moves within the company other than HQ office.

5. content specialist

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

good and stable, friendly staff and flexible scheduling

Cons

slow to evolve, not so creative

6. Stable Company

I have been working at United Stationers full-time

Pros

Good work life balance for employees.

Cons

Limited training budgets, and opportunities for growth.

7. Nice place to work, you have the ability to move up into a management position over the course of time.

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros

Great pay for a warehouse job
    Ability to work OT when it's available
    Nice superiors, easy to work for.

Cons

The hours we work could be a lot better. I would like to see morning shift like (9am-5pm).

8. Good people - good culture

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros

The culture emphasizes associate feedback, so you will always have an opportunity to give your opinions and suggestions. Not much turnover at the facility I work at, so the group is pretty tight socially. Good benefits, 401K matching (50% up to 6%), relaxed attendance policy (allows a 6 minute grace period before being considered late), employee purchases at cost. Overtime is normal, but almost never on the weekends unless you're working inbound.

Cons

If you're in the warehouse, it gets pretty hot in the summer and pretty chili in the winter. If you're on third shift, you don't go home until all the routes are out. This company is big on SOPs, so not much room to do things your own way (unless you try to get the SOP changed). As previously mentioned, not much turnover, so not many opportunities to move around (not the case in all facilities).

Advice to Management

The annual review process needs work. It's been proven that competency models are bogus.

Project Management

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, People, and Empowerment
    The culture is not stuffy as long as you are a doer. You have to be your best champion and you can't be waiting for things to happen. People are energized. Most are very knowledgable and willing to step up to almost every opportunity even when they have no stake in the outcome. As a project manager you are expected to lead and drive the project. Very little micro-management as long as you control your budget and explain your actions. The end results should be desired results.

Cons

No clear grow path. Benefits are good but not great Sometimes leadership is old school on the modern worker needs and environment. No flexibility in working arrangements.

Advice to Management

Better advancement and growth opportunities. Success should be recognized and rewarded from within the organization.

Ok in between job

Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid every week! Getting paid every week!! Getting paid every week!!! It's an ok job. Nothing to brag about. If your're looking for something to pay the bills this is the job. Nothing more. Just keep to yourself and you'll be fine.

Cons

Management is very unfriendly. There is no orientation when you get hired, If you have a question about policy, their response is to "refer to the employee handbook" which makes me think that they don't know the policies... There's no HR in the building. If you need to talk to HR you would need to call. My boss dropped the "F" bomb my first day. Very unprofessional. Management barking and yelling at employees. Management discussing personal issues between team members... I pray that I don't have a personal issue I need to discuss with my boss because the whole warehouse will know about it.

Advice to Management

YOU ALL NEED MANAGEMENT TRAINING!!!

The BLack Hole!

Former Employee - Distribution Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Distribution Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at United Stationers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, PTO, you practically have to fire yourself.

Cons

They believe that because the benefits a great that it's okay to pay low pay rates. There is no room to grow especially if you are good in a specifi area. Many of the good positions are held by employees who have been there 15-30plus (this is over 30 positions) and you have to wait until they retire to get anythig close. However, In spite of the lack of growth and low compensation it easy to get comfortable with stability and great benefits...Dont get stuck!

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more!