United Stationers Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. WORST COMPANY EVER

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some people are nice..... I guess.....? I don't know, i'm really grasping at straws here....

Cons

EVERYTHING. The pay is crap- they give 5 cent raises and tell you it's more than other people got in your department. They are laying off a bunch of people but they need help transitioning the company so they are holding everyone's severance ransom so you literally have no choice but to be their work horse if you want that money. You also have to sign a non-compete so not only are they screwing you by laying you off but you can't even work in the same field you have knowledge in or they will cut off your severance. Supervisors are horrible; they are the first ones to gossip about everything and everyone but then you'll get called into HR and they scold you like you're the bad guy. One supervisor got fired for asking a subordinate to lie for her. It really doesn't matter since they are closing a bunch of branches. They absolutely pick and choose their favorites, but in the end they all stab each other in the back anyway.

Advice to Management

There's so much office politics going on because you don't have good leaders. You hire a bunch of immature people who act like work is high school and spend more time creating drama and gossiping than actually working.

2. Manager is great

I worked at United Stationers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager is very effective and efficient esp in getting you acquainted with your role

Cons

Some employees are whiners but talk behind manager's back instead of discuss issues to management

3. warehouse

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

A very stable company to work for. Good benefits, training and the ability for advancement. You must be able to manage in a big box environment and be comfortable managing metrics.

Cons

There are some weak supervisors which can hurt you since you are all on the same team. Exit 8-A too much congestion on the TPK

5. United Stationers is a great and rewarding company to work for. They believe in doing the right thing by their employees

Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at United Stationers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

United Stationers provide a work life balance for there in employees and believe in the overall health and well being of its employees.

Cons

The only pros to working for United Stationers is that if you work anywhere besides HQ in Deerfield, there is not much room for advancement or growth within the company if you are already in management.

Advice to Management

Management was fair over all. Would suggest adding more training and opportunities for lateral and promotional moves within the company other than HQ office.

6. content specialist

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

good and stable, friendly staff and flexible scheduling

Cons

slow to evolve, not so creative

7. Stable Company

I have been working at United Stationers full-time

Pros

Good work life balance for employees.

Cons

Limited training budgets, and opportunities for growth.

8. Nice place to work, you have the ability to move up into a management position over the course of time.

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros

Great pay for a warehouse job Ability to work OT when it's available Nice superiors, easy to work for.

Cons

The hours we work could be a lot better. I would like to see morning shift like (9am-5pm).

9. Good people - good culture

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros

The culture emphasizes associate feedback, so you will always have an opportunity to give your opinions and suggestions. Not much turnover at the facility I work at, so the group is pretty tight socially. Good benefits, 401K matching (50% up to 6%), relaxed attendance policy (allows a 6 minute grace period before being considered late), employee purchases at cost. Overtime is normal, but almost never on the weekends unless you're working inbound.

Cons

If you're in the warehouse, it gets pretty hot in the summer and pretty chili in the winter. If you're on third shift, you don't go home until all the routes are out. This company is big on SOPs, so not much room to do things your own way (unless you try to get the SOP changed). As previously mentioned, not much turnover, so not many opportunities to move around (not the case in all facilities).

Advice to Management

The annual review process needs work. It's been proven that competency models are bogus.

Project Management

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, People, and Empowerment The culture is not stuffy as long as you are a doer. You have to be your best champion and you can't be waiting for things to happen. People are energized. Most are very knowledgable and willing to step up to almost every opportunity even when they have no stake in the outcome. As a project manager you are expected to lead and drive the project. Very little micro-management as long as you control your budget and explain your actions. The end results should be desired results.

Cons

No clear grow path. Benefits are good but not great Sometimes leadership is old school on the modern worker needs and environment. No flexibility in working arrangements.

Advice to Management

Better advancement and growth opportunities. Success should be recognized and rewarded from within the organization.

Ok in between job

Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid every week! Getting paid every week!! Getting paid every week!!! It's an ok job. Nothing to brag about. If your're looking for something to pay the bills this is the job. Nothing more. Just keep to yourself and you'll be fine.

Cons

Management is very unfriendly. There is no orientation when you get hired, If you have a question about policy, their response is to "refer to the employee handbook" which makes me think that they don't know the policies... There's no HR in the building. If you need to talk to HR you would need to call. My boss dropped the "F" bomb my first day. Very unprofessional. Management barking and yelling at employees. Management discussing personal issues between team members... I pray that I don't have a personal issue I need to discuss with my boss because the whole warehouse will know about it.

Advice to Management

YOU ALL NEED MANAGEMENT TRAINING!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed