United Stationers

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

United Stationers President and CEO P. Cody Phipps
P. Cody Phipps

Pros
  • Company is very supportive of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• job was close to home with good pay & good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work-life balance and disrespect between associates ignored by management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

route supervisor

Former Employee - Route Supervisor  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Route Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good hours driving and length of routes

Cons

lot of hours depending on daily routes

good upper management, however several operations managers lacked management skills

Company just okay

Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are nice, PTO is convenient, 401k is okay.
    They are finally investing some resources internally, but at the expense of letting others go. So we're expected to do more with less which I understand, but when we start sacrificing customer service, that is a problem.

Cons

Can't work from home, limited internal advancement. Making investments internally but not always investing in the right way.

Listen to your employees! The working world is changing. You need to adapt and let us be more flexible so you can retain us longer.

Good company, takes care of employees, but dont expect to make a transfer internally.

Current Employee - Manager  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Telecommute in some departments
    -Flexible work arrangements
    -Good crowd of folks
    -CEO isnt holed up in his office- very down to earth.
    -Reviews & promotions are fair
    -Room for negotitation when made offer (external)

Cons

-They take forever and a day to make a hiring decision. And if your internal, they just might not get back to you at all. When I came onboard, it was a full month before they decided to hire me. Internally, on the other hand, there are issues everywhere. HR will keep giving you the "Ill follow up" line, when they could just ease your worries and send you an email stating you didnt make the cut. Even longer wait for answers than if you applied externally. My take- yes, the company/culture is GREAT, but if you intend on progressing to a different department entirely, you might run into a snag.

Keep your people informed, or you might lose some valuable talent that can quickly be picked up by another Fortune 500 company...There are 1000's of them. :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not the best but not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Ops Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the pay's not bad, you get some vacation but wont be able to use it due to cutbacks with people.

Cons

no work life balance. And H/R is out of control at this company. I always thought H/R is there to help you, not at this company. The H/R dept. is dishonest and will lie to you.

Please practice what you preach on the cultures and values.

Great company to work for. Many perks, good benefits, fun environment.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee discounts, fun environment, open door policy, super clientele.

Cons

Some plans are not executed well.

Get feedback from the employees living the day-to-day task when developing new programs or procedures.

Decent company to work for but don't expect too much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay was good for the type of work. Benefits "were" decent. Ability to work around your schedule if needed at times. Vacation time was fair. 401k

Cons

Company has shown less and less care for workers in previous years. Freezing pensions and lowering top salary. Health benefits have changed and now cost more for less coverage.

Stop taking benefits away or making them worse. There is only so much a certain amount of people can do. If you keep cutting in departments the quality of work will go down and the injuries will go up.

Good atmosphere but limited growth opportunities

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a solid company and people are great to work with. Teamwork is encouraged and internal processes are very professional.

Cons

Very limited career advancement opportunities. Some departments were favored over others.

Director of National Account eTail Channel

Current Employee - Channel Manager  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Manager in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company with pretty good operations

Cons

no career path past middle management

All the talent has left. most were run out...

Former Employee - GOM  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - GOM in Denver, CO

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay sometimes depends if you work at Lagasse ( bad pay) or United (good pay) It all started out good but as management got ahold of dept's things went to hell and in a hurry.

Cons

Management and H/R neither were very friendly. And you would thing that H/R was going to be a Dept. that you could trust. Yeah right. A bunch of back stabbers.

Be nice to people. And I can't believe I have to say this to the H/R Dept. but DITTO... be nice to people.

Tsk, tsk.

Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United  in  Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - A Title is a Lose Term @ United in Orchard Park, NY

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They employee about 5,000 people. They have an excellent dedication to the community.

Cons

Cheap. Cheap with pay increases -not even the rate of inflation, benefits are less and less each year. Got rid of retirement plans. Moved to a PTO system rather than just plain old vacation/sick/personal time. They set unrealistic financial goals as an excuse for their frugal ways while still being able to look good to shareholders. They pride themselves on being a Fortune 500 company but consistantly are at the bottom of the list. United certainly is not a leader in the industry nor as employers. Systems are completely outdated and cumbersome. Not just for the employees, but for the poor customers trying to navigate! Respect levels towards hourly employees are little to none. They are treated as if they should be lucky to have jobs when in reality they drive this company and should be viewed and treated as valuable. It seems the less intelligent you are, the quicker you are able to move up the corporate ladder. Maybe that is because you are then more of a "bot"? (most of management won't even know what that means) I would bet my life all the really good ideas, processes and procedures came from hourly employees. But managers are not too dumb to take credit! Another reviewer stated the management feigns concern, and I believe that is true. It's as if they take classess because they all use the same mannerisms and verbiage. I guess the more apt you are to brown nose, be a superior's pet, whatever you want to call it, the more you can get away with and the less you need to be productive. Every company has cons. And it's just my opinion this one has more than the average.

Spend some money! Get with this century. Take the lead, stop being followers. You have subpar service), subpar systems, subpar attitudes, subpar intelligence. Strive to be the best of the best. Learn how to spell, speak and act like professionals. Meh, I could go on but honestly, I don't care and you probably have some makeup to put on, or food to eat, a golf date to make or a text to send.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!