United Supermarkets

www.unitedtexas.com

United Supermarkets Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
United Supermarkets – Amarillo – “Busy work place”

United Supermarkets – Amarillo – “Busy work place”

Matt Bumstead

Great place to work!

Deli Cook (Former Employee)

ProsMy deli managers were awesome people and were great to work with. Always made sure that you were taken care of, and that you were still happy with your job. Coworkers were great as well.

ConsThe "customer is always right" policy is in full effect here. Be prepared to be shot down from a store manager if a customer says you did something wrong, even if you didn't. Learn to just deal with the general public and forget about defending your case. Raises were given every evaluation, but evaluations were far between. Also, be prepared to be burned and cut almost daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, do not assume they're liars for defending their case against irate customers.

It was a great high school job.

Sacker/Checker (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

ProsFlexible work schedule, great for any high school first job. You can start off at the age of 15.

ConsManagement can be frustrating. Locations nonly in texas and oklahoma. Rude customers can get under your skin and you cant say anything back to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed discounts for employees

Great place with great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsThe people here are kind and it truly does feel like one big family.
    A great company to grow in as they promote from within.

ConsSmall company so not as many opportunities to move around in the support center but would be worth the wait!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to show your care for your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsGreat work environment. Flexible hours. Nice people. Great place for young people to gain experience.

ConsLow pay. Some guests can be less than ideal.

If your one of the good 'ol boys you'll fit right in.

Front End Manager (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsSome of the customers as well as some of the employees were good to work with.

ConsFor a company that prides itself on a friendly customer service driven team they have many flaws. United Supermarkets wants everyone to think they are such a wonderful Christian based company that serves the community. Here in west Texas everyone is just so friendly so people say. United posseses that same mentality.....but in reality it's a fake friendly as is the friendliness of west Texas. Their leadership from corporate down is very fake and they won't hesitate to smile and say hi and then proceed to stab employees they were so friendly to right in the back. If your from west Texas this probably doesn't make sense. But to those who have been out in the world they can see it plain as day. Take the blinders off! It is a good 'ol boy establishment. If you don't fit in to that mold you will never move up with United even if you have the skills and know how to advance. I was really disappointed. I found it very shocking from the racial slurs from managers as well as harassment verbally and sexually towards other employees. I truly believe United is very good at demoralizing great people because he/she doesn't fit their mold. And as far as charitable acts and giving back to the community United is very involved. That is good. I will say however acts of charity should be a quiet token of caring. United constantly advertises to the world how wonderful they are for giving. What's the ultimate motiy? Fake friendly again. Just give, that's great. Don't toot your horn about it though. I think that sends the wrong message. United works well in Lubbock because it is not diverse. This company would fail miserably if it were other markets where diversity does matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't slap each other on the butt, literally males and females, in front of others. Practice fair treatment to all employees. Avoid exhibiting your racist thoughts. You would so be fired in other parts of the U.S for such behavior. Your safe here in good 'ol friendly Lubbock though. Just be real. That's what is needed.

Great place to work

District Price Coordinator (Former Employee) Colleyville, TX

ProsFlexible schedule, nice people to work with

ConsLow pay, sometimes too heavily staffed

Great People, Bad Pay

Food Service Clerk (Current Employee) Abilene, TX

ProsFriendly coworkers, positive company culture, easy job, fifty cent per hr raises annually per coworkers, supportive managers, opportunities to advance to management positions

ConsLimited number of full-time positions, no health or retirement benefits for part-time employees, scheduled hours very different every week, schedule posted with only one day notice and not available over the phone so if you're not working that day you have to go in to see if you work the next day, low entry-level wages, some supervisors make less than their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to minimize your turn-over, you need to create more full-time positions with benefits and salaries that at least can compete with other food service jobs (McDonalds, HEB, Walmart, etc).

Great with your availability

ProsGood if you are in high school or college. You can almost always get time off if you need it.

ConsHard to get more than part time, and even part time sometimes don't get enough hours.

Overall a great place to work

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsUnited is a great place for those that enjoy team work, customer service, and flexibility. There are opportunities in multiple departments for any level of education.

ConsI noticed occasional favoritism, but most of those matters were sorted out within a few months if the employee that was shown favor failed to perform. United eventually weeds out its bad apples. Unfortunately, there seems to be a steady stream of these individuals always seeking employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Sacker/Checker

Sacker (Former Employee) Perryton, TX

ProsIt is exciting to work in a place that is brimming with the people of the community. Whether working or shopping, nearly 100% of the community came through our store monthly. It was a very interactive environment and offers some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

ConsI worked as a Sacker for over a year before being promoted to Checker (a promotion I had to beg for). It seemed as though my particular store favored the female employees as many of them were promoted in a matter of weeks despite their work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest more visits to local stores.

Worked for United Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!