United Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert

Louis R. Chênevert

Pros:
  • "Pay is good and great benefits also they have employee scholar program"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Employee scholar program is great"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Communication with upper management wasn't always clear"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Jobs Outsourcing - Facility Closing

Manufacturing (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat training for a future job...somewhere else.

ConsToo bad Corporate America and Washington outsourced yet another aerospace company outside the USA.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat goes around comes around. You will be next to be replaced by a foreigner. Unlike politicians we cannot vote you out. You should be ashamed. Believe in America and keep the jobs in the USA.

Average conglomerate

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Westford, MA

ProsUTC is a strong company with a well managed portfolio. They have one of the best educational reimbursement programs in the world, which can be a big draw for someone looking to enhance skills. They have reasonably comprehensive benefits. UTC's ACE is a good, middle of the road continuous improvement system that keeps technical performance solid. The company has a pretty good balance in integrating new acquisitions, imposing a few "best practices" like ACE, but letting the companies run themselves for the most part. UTC has a very strong corporate ethics program.

ConsAs a publicly traded company, the emphasis is relentlessly on shareholder return. That means strategy and innovation always takes a back seat to quarterly earnings. Long cycle time business opportunities are all but lost. This can be a major shock to acquired companies which have aggressively invested and taken some risks to create a business, only to discover that their days of expanding their business through investment and flexibility are essentially over. Risk averse is an understatement.
    Compensation is middle of the road. We don't "hire the best because we want to be the best". We hire the average, and hope our best practices level the playing field.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush back on Wall Street and the corporate office a little more. Don't let UTC's corporate culture invade your successful company. Find a way to take the good best practices without becoming a clone. Fight to keep your truly exceptional innovators and behave like a startup. Use your discretion, and ask forgiveness later rather than falling into the "mother may I?" gravity well of corporate life.

Confusing Decisions/Directions now that UTC is running the show

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros- Good benefits in terms of sick time and culture.
    - Good schooling benefits
    - Work life balance is good

Cons- No communication
    - Pay is average
    - No direction from Management
    - Broken processes
    - Low morale
    - Bonus structure isn't great, payouts are poor
    - Many managers, no leaders. Very focused on bottom line, no eyes on the horizon
    - Many managers have no manufacturing experience, They love data, which I do as well, but they don't do much with it.
    - Technical people aren't valued as much, managers seem more valued (perception)
    - Always changing direction
    - The vision is 15% earnings growth, and it ends there. so I ask, How are we going to do it? What are the plans, what are our core competencies? What is being outsourced? What equipment are we buying? What are we getting rid of?
    - Very old equipment
    - No training job training, skills enhancing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your butt. Understand the current situation, fix the problems, redo bad processes, stop looking at the bottom line the whole time and start looking at the big picture. Stop chasing dimes with dollars when dollars can be saved with redoing major processes.

It seems to me that they try to force things through the processes because the processes are horrid. Bad processes encourage people to go around them or figure out ways to not go through them, like changing procedures for bad prints because the eco process takes months to get through. Fix the bad processes so people won't have to think around them. Also, don't flow down processes and force people to adhere to them when they don't exist or when no training is done on how to perform them. Train people on SAP, FIX SAP, train people on how to do their job. The quality of a product comes from the design, people, equipment, you have old equipment, no training of the people, and the designs are very old. I fail to see how you can improve the quality of the product strictly through minor changes in procedural changes. Figure out the core compentencies, develop them, buy equipment for them, train the people on how to use the equipment, advance the processes for those, and design for the use of your core compentencies, design out the stuff you don't want to use.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad to see the demise of a wonderful culture..

Information Technology (Former Employee)

ProsIt offers structure. It has solid business practices, good work-life balance, paychecks clear.

ConsCost cutting at the expense of employees is the basic driver.
    Management lays off people based on cost, not performance or experience
    Chaotic direction from management.
    Honesty from management and HR is sorely lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink why would you pay billions for a company (Goodrich) that was successful and profitable and then proceed to dismantle the very policies and procedures that made it successful.

Some of the brightest minds work at UTC

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Hartford, CT

ProsLeading edge technology. Challenging work that matters to many. The maker of the new Marine 1 Helicopter landing in front of you is impressive.

ConsNot a con - but, getting through process is a challenge. One must be focused on the right solution for the customer first and work through the internal process second.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customer facing staff. Their input is first hand and unfiltered. The customer is the reason for the hard work done daily by thousands of employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Arghhhh

Manager (Current Employee)
    Farmington, CT

ProsPay is relatively comparable to other companies

ConsBullying rampant
    Ethics don't apply to executives
    Love all show and no substance employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue!

Goodrich was a decent place to work but UTC has changed the place with vice grips of ACE reqt's and etc..

Staff QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chula Vista, CA

ProsSalaries, Career opportunities, company sponsored educational benefits

ConsUTC is laying off senior staff thru golden hand shakes and lots of outsourcing key support dept's. Hiring freezes big work loads.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate what is going on to all employees. Discuss company common goals to all.

Giant company with little focus on people

ProsGood benefits, 401K match, tuition reimbursement, health, gain share, etc.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, poor middle management, lack of leadership coaching

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employes.

Crazy management

ProsPay is good, some people are very talented

ConsBullying is rampant -particularly one EhS vp at CCS. HR focuses on promoting themselves - heaven forbid the should have to do anything for an employee. Ethics policy "selectively" enforced.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how some of your executives act. It is disgraceful.

Great first career experience as a college graduate

Financial Leadership Program (Former Employee)

ProsDevelop and grow career with experience in a lot of different areas. I was in the finance rotation program which gave me the opportunity to travel and experience different departments within finance and travel internationally.

ConsDidn't always get the rotation or job that you wanted and some corporate politics. Communication with upper management wasn't always clear.

Worked for United Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Technologies CEO Louis R. Chênevert. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by United Technologies employees.