United Technologies Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.2

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert
Louis R. Chênevert

Pros
  • Take advantage of the great employee scholar program (in 17 reviews)

• Many are able to sustain a 40 hour work week and has great work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others (in 12 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent for most employees (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting work; hard to change career path once started down one path

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

High quality products that company is always looking to improve
    Interesting technical work, if that is what you seek out and that motivates you

Cons

Difficult to get company to invest in new product lines, especially in new markets
    Decent work-life balance, but limited day-to-day schedule flexibility

Research Center employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a member of the corporation's central R&D organization, there are considerable opportunities to work on a variety of challenging technical problems related to business unit needs.

Cons

Some employees perceive a gap between the staff and management. Leadership is working on addressing employee needs for improved communication.

Great Technology Company

Former Employee - MBA Intern in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in East Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

UTC is a great company for people who love working with varied technologies, and excellent senior managers willing to mentor make the company a great place to start out a career.

Cons

This is a very large company that moves slowly. UTC is becoming much better at sharing technologies across the business units but it is still missing some key opportunities to grow and innovate. This will change in the next few years.

Continue to promote innovation as a method of growing the top line

Satisfied with the experience in Shared Business Services (Corp. HQ, Farmington, CT)

Former Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the experience overall. I was given the opportunity to work with a variety of managers and was put to the test with challenging, meaningful work. Summer hours are nice at UTC, with Friday typically a half day for most. The whole experience was not as stressful or high-strung as I expected going into it, but again, nonetheless challenging. The company also offers a multitude of educational programs internally, which I took advantage of in between assignments or meetings. There was a large variety of personalities among the employees (a lot of "characters"), which I take to be a generally good thing. Management offers good advice and feedback, and is usually very accessible.

Cons

There seems to be a bit of an issue with office gossip, perhaps no different than in any other offices. Some employees were clearly sulky; there was definitely, to an unhealthy degree, and undercurrent of resentment in some for whatever reasons (perhaps justifiable, I don't know). Workplace chatter can be distracting at times. There were also a few full-time employees who did not exactly have the best technical skills, so I occasionally had to double as IT tutor. There was also perhaps too large of a range of effort among the employees as well. Several offices, including the one I was in, are in central Connecticut, which is far from an economical or exciting place to work and live. All things considered, I would still recommend UTC.

I honestly do not know much about the CEO, but for the company to remain in business in Connecticut, he and upper management must be doing something right. I believe the hiring process should be tweaked to better gauge the potential of new hires, and the company should be doing more to attract and hire tech-savvy Millennials. I cannot comment on benefits as I was only an intern.

very nice people. management had a open door policy

I worked at United Technologies full-time

Pros

vacation time was good, pay good

Cons

certain jobs were very dirty

Global Sourcing

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great values, great ethics, good working environment and solid leadership, growing business and opportunities.

Cons

Too much power points and presentations

Lean presentations, avoid power point and you will save tremendous time.

Spent a couple years at a facility in California and it was a decent job.

Former Employee - Quality Test Technician in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Test Technician in Fairfield, CA

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad and there is opportunity for advancement. I was promoted twice in two years. Educational incentive is a great way to move up in the company on their dime. Met some of the best people in the Fairfield location.

Cons

This is a true corporate management structure. In manufacturing, there are assemblers, leads, supervisors, managers, more managers, then facility leaders (in that order bottom to top). Everything is fairly centralized so decisions can take a long time to get from critical need area to business unit headquartered several states over.

Trust your employees, delegate to the go-getters, and keep them engaged.

Solid, old company, but Corporate HQ is staffed with many stodgy, rude people.

I have been working at United Technologies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is excellent. UTC is a solid, well performing company that is not going to go away any time soon. The work-life balance is impressive; most employees are long gone by 6:00 (at least at HQ - I hear the BUs are a bit different). The people are smart, for the most part anyway, though probably not as smart as a consulting company or bank, or even a financial services company. As evidenced by the cars in the parking lot, literally everybody is extraordinarily well-paid.

Cons

I quote my coworker, "This is the strangest office environment I've ever worked in." They recently switched to an all-cube layout for anybody below Director (which at UTC is right below VP). MANY people are bitter that they no longer have a private office, and so there is a rule of not having conversations at our desks. If someone doesn't like you, they tend to get very passive-aggressive. Everything is gray. Everything. People walk around looking like they're constipated because they're "overworked" and "stressed". But I have yet to see the evidence of any kind of real pressure on these people, not like a client/customer-facing role would be. Certain higher-level employees will accept a meeting that you schedule a week in advance, say nothing more, come to the meeting for 30 seconds then declare, "I'm bored with this" and march out of the conference room. And the VP encourages them to fudge the numbers on the Employee Satisfaction Survey to meet their Lean Six Sigma requirement. The best part is when the VP introduced himself to an intern that had been working in the office (there's only 30 people in this dept) thinking she was with a visitor to the office.

Be nice to your employees! Just walking around the office every once in a while and saying hello to the analysts and interns would probably go a great distance. And if you were feeling especially frisky that day, maybe tell them they're doing a great job! Gee whiz the thought of it makes me feel all giddy.

review

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

people, work, work life balance

Cons

low wages, repetivite work, alignment with all BUs

Good Company

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good, well balanced company with fair work-life balance.

Cons

Benefits on par with other American Corp's

Stay fair and balanced