United Technologies

Updated November 26, 2014
3.3

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert
Louis R. Chênevert

Pros
  • Take advantage of the great employee scholar program (in 18 reviews)

• Many are able to sustain a 40 hour work week and has great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Lean Practitioner

Former Employee - Lean Site Coordinator in Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Lean Site Coordinator in Stratford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great support, indepth program, very good materials

Cons

New programs need a more cohesive project management team

Good company, honorable people, smart people, very "buttoned down" processes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable. No BS. Good pay but not outstanding pay.

Cons

Process mentality sometimes goes too far.

Get ready for the millennials, some disciplines may not like this square cornered culture.

Great company

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

excellent technology. strong global brands and reputation. keep up the great work...my retirement is relying on you.

Cons

work life balance can be challenging

Great (dysfunctional) place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee scholar plan, work life balance is attainable in most cases, good people.

Cons

not a lot of financial upward mobility, health benefits packages are less then great, a lot of change in management without a lot of opportunity to grow.

create a plan for growth and stick with it for more than 6 months.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Helpful people, nice environment, great exposure to many difference projects, overall great experience, especially when starting out

Cons

Some of the challenges included lots of work that needed to get done quickly, busy season.

A huge company with a fantastic education program that makes too many changes at the BU level. Makes you feel insecure.

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only company I know of that pays your school or certification program directly; there is no employee reimbursement. The school bills UTC and UTC pays them. This is an excellent benefit. It was worth staying with them just for that.

Cons

Horrible on work/life balance. Very inconsistent in decision making at the business unit level. Too many changes in leadership at the business unit level. Very little accountability put on management for their actions.

Hold your leaders more accountable. Don't just talk ethically; act ethically.

Interesting work; hard to change career path once started down one path

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

High quality products that company is always looking to improve
    Interesting technical work, if that is what you seek out and that motivates you

Cons

Difficult to get company to invest in new product lines, especially in new markets
    Decent work-life balance, but limited day-to-day schedule flexibility

Satisfied with the experience in Shared Business Services (Corp. HQ, Farmington, CT)

Former Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Intern in Farmington, CT

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the experience overall. I was given the opportunity to work with a variety of managers and was put to the test with challenging, meaningful work. Summer hours are nice at UTC, with Friday typically a half day for most. The whole experience was not as stressful or high-strung as I expected going into it, but again, nonetheless challenging. The company also offers a multitude of educational programs internally, which I took advantage of in between assignments or meetings. There was a large variety of personalities among the employees (a lot of "characters"), which I take to be a generally good thing. Management offers good advice and feedback, and is usually very accessible.

Cons

There seems to be a bit of an issue with office gossip, perhaps no different than in any other offices. Some employees were clearly sulky; there was definitely, to an unhealthy degree, and undercurrent of resentment in some for whatever reasons (perhaps justifiable, I don't know). Workplace chatter can be distracting at times. There were also a few full-time employees who did not exactly have the best technical skills, so I occasionally had to double as IT tutor. There was also perhaps too large of a range of effort among the employees as well. Several offices, including the one I was in, are in central Connecticut, which is far from an economical or exciting place to work and live. All things considered, I would still recommend UTC.

I honestly do not know much about the CEO, but for the company to remain in business in Connecticut, he and upper management must be doing something right. I believe the hiring process should be tweaked to better gauge the potential of new hires, and the company should be doing more to attract and hire tech-savvy Millennials. I cannot comment on benefits as I was only an intern.

Research Center employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a member of the corporation's central R&D organization, there are considerable opportunities to work on a variety of challenging technical problems related to business unit needs.

Cons

Some employees perceive a gap between the staff and management. Leadership is working on addressing employee needs for improved communication.

Great Technology Company

Former Employee - MBA Intern in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in East Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

UTC is a great company for people who love working with varied technologies, and excellent senior managers willing to mentor make the company a great place to start out a career.

Cons

This is a very large company that moves slowly. UTC is becoming much better at sharing technologies across the business units but it is still missing some key opportunities to grow and innovate. This will change in the next few years.

Continue to promote innovation as a method of growing the top line