United Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Gregory J. Hayes

Pros
  • Employee Scholar Program - get a free education without having to stay once complete (in 18 reviews)

• The work-life balance is impressive; most employees are long gone by 6:00 (at least at HQ - I hear the BUs are a bit different) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• UTC is becoming much better at sharing technologies across the business units but it is still missing some key opportunities to grow and innovate (in 13 reviews)

Stay away!!!

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Chula Vista, CA

Pros

They will shut down this campus in 5-10 yrs

Cons

Lack of direction from management; management expect for you to figure out on you own and when things go wrong they expect you to provide root cause and corrective action; stop with the friend and family plan and hire some real talent;

Advice to Management

Replace all exsisting management and hire in people that will make a change for the better so the stock drop from $120 to $89 in three days

Not for the middle age person.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Lisle, IL

Pros

You are glad when you leave.

Cons

At United Technologies I felt as a middle age male I was discriminated against, people at that same office thought I should fight them with discrimination suit, and frankly I was just glad to be out of there.

Advice to Management

Realize middle age employees have a lot offer, maybe even more to offer in the way of support and production.

Market Analyst

Pros

Employee Scholarship Program is the only benefit

Cons

Very top heavy in management. Metrics is the bottom line, and they only see numbers in black and white. If sales is 9% below a plugged plan, then the company should lay off 9% of it's workforce. Impossible goals to meet, and very little work/life balance. To move up the ladder you are to be a yes man, and never disagree with leadership. Rather than fix problems they are hidden, and long term effects of bad processes and goals are left to future employees to deal with the mess. Short term goals are a priority that will most definitely sacrifice the long term goals of this company.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, and stop giving impossible stretch goals to reach. The advice of "Do more with Less" is not a way to treat employees. They most certainly will start to do less with this treatment.

Staff Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

Pros

Pay u to 100% education

Cons

Used to be great with Goodrich. After the merge it is a nightmare. No life and lot of stress Laid off is constant and panic is your day by day

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and stop pushing for impossible.

In Dire Need of Management & Policy Makeover!!!!

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

Pros

Most of the people are great to work, the jobs are easy, other than that nothing good to say!!

Cons

Coaches and line leads are union employees and very biased in their opinions on probationary people and their work assessments and favor the union employees over everything said and done. Probationary employees are told to keep their mouths shut and will be abused in their first 90 days!! They mean that literally!!! Union employees can treat probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully and probationary employees aren't allowed to stand up for themselves against this type of treatment, when I complained about an employee treating myself and two other probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully, I was terminated and the union employee was allowed to continue this behavior until a few months after my termination when she called the new line lead a name, she was placed on a 3 day suspension and then given her job back, when she should have been fired according to company policy about treating each other respectfully at all times. Probationary employees aren't allowed to make any mistakes during their 90 days or they are fired. Too many stupid excuses are used for getting rid of probationary employees such as the above reasons, which happened to myself and another probationary employee who quit before they fired her for registering a complaint about the union employee. I didn't figure I would be accused of not getting along with employees by registering a complaint against a union employee and standing up for myself and two other probationary employees to be spoken to without disrespect and rudeness. Nor did I anticipate being let go and told I willfully performed poor quality work after I made a mistake during training on one of the insertion machines when I inadvertently put a part on backwards on the machine and my trainer was placed on another line and at opposite end from where I was instead of being with me to watch what I was doing and correcting me when needed. The biggest cop out excuse for my termination was I was not a proper fit for the company despite the fact that I have an Associates Degree in Electronics Engineering and have worked in other companies as their field service technician and Junior/Senior Engineering Technician.

Advice to Management

Your policy states that all employees will treat each other respectfully at all times, this should also apply to your union employees more so than the probationary employees since they set the example for probationary employees. No one should be in union status and placed in positions of shift coach or line lead since union members protect their fellow union brothers and sisters before they would be fair to a probationary employee. Your hiring of employees for your pool candidates is a cop out for hiring people long enough to get caught up and then getting rid of them afterwards before they are able to join the union, hire a temporary agency instead of messing with people's lives. People give up jobs to take up employment with your company to better themselves but also to help assist your company in meeting your customer needs, treat them the way they deserve to be treated, an asset to your company not as a liability. Your company has fired many people who would have done a great job for you. Stop placing adds for your pool candidates when you have employees laid off!!

massively delusional

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

paycheck not reason to have any loyalty to these clowns

Cons

not much, mba-o-rama have taken over

Advice to Management

pay louis more! 200 million to leave? not enough!

Moved yo Mexico

Pros

Closed doors. No longer in Tyler

Cons

Moved to Mexico no option to transfer

10 years and a layoff

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Middletown, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

safe working environment and good caferteria

Cons

they are definitely looking for younger people

Advice to Management

stop age discrimination

Jobs Outsourcing - Facility Closing

Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training for a future job...somewhere else.

Cons

Too bad Corporate America and Washington outsourced yet another aerospace company outside the USA.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around. You will be next to be replaced by a foreigner. Unlike politicians we cannot vote you out. You should be ashamed. Believe in America and keep the jobs in the USA.

Arghhhh

Current Employee - Manager in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Farmington, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is relatively comparable to other companies

Cons

Bullying rampant Ethics don't apply to executives Love all show and no substance employees

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

RSS Feed </> Embed