United Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Gregory J. Hayes

Pros
  • Employee Scholar Program - get a free education without having to stay once complete (in 18 reviews)

• The work-life balance is impressive; most employees are long gone by 6:00 (at least at HQ - I hear the BUs are a bit different) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• UTC is becoming much better at sharing technologies across the business units but it is still missing some key opportunities to grow and innovate (in 13 reviews)

1. Great People

Former Employee - EBusiness Quality Tester in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - EBusiness Quality Tester in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at United Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

An Indy 500 sponsor, so lots of related activities. Grounded in the basics. Able to tour the factory floor. A good variety for a Quality Analyst tester: Software, systems, mobile, web sites and databases. Welcomed to interact with marketing to clarify requirements.

Cons

Only a contract. Quality analyst may have been too integrated with marketing. Engineering and marketing differed on who ruled and who took the responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Meet with the rank and file more frequently (at least monthly). A big conglomerate, so this unglamorous sector had a feeling of being left alone out in the cornfield.

2. Not for the middle age person.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Lisle, IL

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

You are glad when you leave.

Cons

At United Technologies I felt as a middle age male I was discriminated against, people at that same office thought I should fight them with discrimination suit, and frankly I was just glad to be out of there.

Advice to Management

Realize middle age employees have a lot offer, maybe even more to offer in the way of support and production.

3. Sr. Commodity Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company and people. Strong leadership team that delivered YOY value to stakeholders. Opportunity to grow is a Pro and Con...Meaning after you reach a certain level it is hard to move into the Director & above level. UTC will hire executives from the outside. Excellent employee education program...lots of opportunity to learn!

Cons

Hard to move up beyond Senior Manager level. Long-hours, but I think that is everywhere within Corporate America. Not all positions and levels within the Company are eligible for the annual bonus. I was eligible, but still think that all employees should be eligible on some level, there input does matter.

5. nice place in london UK

Current Employee - Economist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Economist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

long hours in london UK

Cons

less salary for expensive london UK

6. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Marinette, WI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Marinette, WI

I have been working at United Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Workload keeps you busy all the time, no boredom or staleness. Excellent educational benefit (they pay up front!) and 99% of the people really deeply care about doing the best they can

Cons

I hear it depends on the site, but the integration of the new sites into the UTC way is very painful. Also, it's called Update The Charts for a reason....

Advice to Management

Don't simply push new methodologies and demands downward, SUPPORT your teams, they will reward you!

7. Mechanical Engineering Internship

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

Ability to work on actual projects alongside engineers

Cons

Low transition rate Slow to access computer systems

Advice to Management

Don't schedule vacations when you have interns starting/ending

8. Not a people organisation - BEWARE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prestwick, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prestwick, Scotland (UK)

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some good people there who are committed to getting a good quality job done - Convenient to my home in Prestwick

Cons

- Culture of being stuck in their ways and resistant to change, this stifles innovation and ultimately productivity and profit - Inability to communicate effectively with staff - Poor management of training and career development for staff while upper management go on "jollys" - Poor team morale - More stick than carrot used, more discrimination and negative comments to make you feel not part of the team - Human Resources team that work for only the business and do not care or nurture the talents of the employees - Some employees are vindictive and petty - Managers who are "scared" to stand up to "old timers" who have been there forever - Overall a miserable place to work given all the problems

Advice to Management

- Drag the organisation out of the dark ages and get employee involvement - Sack or curtail the "old timers" who use their "years" to justify their actions - Get rid of HR altogether, the function is not needed in the local office and should be handled by UK head office - Do something to increase the morale as it was at rock bottom at my time of leaving - Make it easy for people to speak out without fear of retribution for their honesty (OMBUDSMAN PROGRAM does not work as has been demonstrated before, people have been hounded out of the organisation after using the service) - Clear out the old culture that exists from the previous organisation that's been taken over as there is no clear guidance on the new culture - The trust, respect and integrity do not exist on the Prestwick site and if a Union was involved (which there has been talk of) with the site then they would have a field day with the way HR treat their employees overall on the site

9. Senior Sales Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of autonomy in the job and you were free to run it as your own business.

Cons

When the company decides to cut they often cut employee benefits. Also, even though the company is very large it is hard to pursue opportunities with other units.

Advice to Management

Streamline employee development and movement to allow fresh new ideas and company growth.

10. Been with the Company for 15 Years

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

Diversified technology company with multiple divisions, each division can draw upon the resources of other divisions to aid in achieving business objectives.

Cons

Can some times seem impersonal and focused only on business

11. Great Experience!

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

I had an amazing experience overall. Everyone was eager to help and the environment of the office was great. The culture of UTC is also great.

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

I can't think of any advice for management

RSS Feed </> Embed