United Technologies

Updated December 21, 2014
3.3

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert
Louis R. Chênevert

Pros
  • Take advantage of the great employee scholar program (in 18 reviews)

• Many are able to sustain a 40 hour work week and has great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid, old company, but Corporate HQ is staffed with many stodgy, rude people.

I have been working at United Technologies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is excellent. UTC is a solid, well performing company that is not going to go away any time soon. The work-life balance is impressive; most employees are long gone by 6:00 (at least at HQ - I hear the BUs are a bit different). The people are smart, for the most part anyway, though probably not as smart as a consulting company or bank, or even a financial services company. As evidenced by the cars in the parking lot, literally everybody is extraordinarily well-paid.

Cons

I quote my coworker, "This is the strangest office environment I've ever worked in." They recently switched to an all-cube layout for anybody below Director (which at UTC is right below VP). MANY people are bitter that they no longer have a private office, and so there is a rule of not having conversations at our desks. If someone doesn't like you, they tend to get very passive-aggressive. Everything is gray. Everything. People walk around looking like they're constipated because they're "overworked" and "stressed". But I have yet to see the evidence of any kind of real pressure on these people, not like a client/customer-facing role would be. Certain higher-level employees will accept a meeting that you schedule a week in advance, say nothing more, come to the meeting for 30 seconds then declare, "I'm bored with this" and march out of the conference room. And the VP encourages them to fudge the numbers on the Employee Satisfaction Survey to meet their Lean Six Sigma requirement. The best part is when the VP introduced himself to an intern that had been working in the office (there's only 30 people in this dept) thinking she was with a visitor to the office.

Be nice to your employees! Just walking around the office every once in a while and saying hello to the analysts and interns would probably go a great distance. And if you were feeling especially frisky that day, maybe tell them they're doing a great job! Gee whiz the thought of it makes me feel all giddy.

review

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

people, work, work life balance

Cons

low wages, repetivite work, alignment with all BUs

Excellent early career experience

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible managers who don't do a lot micro-managing, great pay, Employee Scholar Program, strong code of ethics

Cons

Some offices are in need of serious upgrading, don't really foster much intern engagement outside of a few webinars

Company should work to make sure that office spaces are updated and appealing. Employees spend 40-50+ hours in the buildings to foster company growth. They should be able to do this in a space that is well-lit, comfortable and encourages creative thinking and boosts morale.

Good Company

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good, well balanced company with fair work-life balance.

Cons

Benefits on par with other American Corp's

Stay fair and balanced

Sales |Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Folley, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Folley, TX

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meritocracy , if you are good you grow . There is no secret ... it is a company that hard work gets your pay off. Some times may take longer than expected but it will happen

Cons

The company is very very very finance oriented , some times we fell that numbers should be above everything , but that[s the way UTC behaves

Try to enhance generation Y career in the company , otherwise you may lose them for more vibrant companies such as Google and e-commerce companies

Not good not terrible.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most the people I work with are great and I've been in the office and the floor. The benefits are good as well.

Cons

Work life balance. Many 7 day weeks. Management like to screw over the floor workers anyway they can.

Stop being so greedy people need to make a living as well.

Too much reporting and charting

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company with many opportunities to move around. People are generally very civil and respectful. Take advantage of the great employee scholar program!

Cons

A large corporate hierarchy-- too much red tape. The reporting layers caused inefficiency and unnecessary rework in workplaces. Focused only on cost saving rather than training employees to be more efficient and productive to generate quality result.

Work on the

Very demanding, high stressed, work environment not balanced with overall career satisfaction

I worked at United Technologies full-time

Pros

Overall compensation was competitive with other similar sized companies.

Cons

I was an employee 5+ years. Quite often I found myself dumped on with added job requirements with no consideration for my current workload. This led to average 55+ hour work weeks to get the job done. I was not the only one dealing with this environment...those that could left the company. My immediate leadership changed three times during my 5+ years. I found the continuous improvement program to be very ineffective...more show and tell than actual improvements.

Listen to your employees...not just their management. Make communication up the organization structure open; without immediately considering any negative job related communication to be from those that are disconnected to the companies desired direction.

Good company, solid benefits

I have been working at United Technologies full-time

Pros

At UTC there are good people to work with. There are many opportunities to move laterally and gain a wide breadth of experience.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. Consolidations of UTC businesses create confusion and add frustration to workplace.

Leverage your talent and take time to train your people.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Senior IT Auditor in Farmington, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse working environment, opportunities to move from one business unit to another, Good pay

Cons

Frequent layoffs for some of the business areas