United Technologies Reviews

Management changing directions every 3 months

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Coatesville, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Coatesville, PA

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Compensation , benefits, tuition reimbursement, respect

Cons

management changing direction every few months leaves feeling of instability

2. Overall, a good company to work for.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at United Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, corporate structure and people

Cons

Every decision made is made at a snails pace

Staff Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

Pay u to 100% education

Cons

Used to be great with Goodrich. After the merge it is a nightmare. No life and lot of stress Laid off is constant and panic is your day by day

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and stop pushing for impossible.

5. In Dire Need of Management & Policy Makeover!!!!

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Most of the people are great to work, the jobs are easy, other than that nothing good to say!!

Cons

Coaches and line leads are union employees and very biased in their opinions on probationary people and their work assessments and favor the union employees over everything said and done. Probationary employees are told to keep their mouths shut and will be abused in their first 90 days!! They mean that literally!!! Union employees can treat probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully and probationary employees aren't allowed to stand up for themselves against this type of treatment, when I complained about an employee treating myself and two other probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully, I was terminated and the union employee was allowed to continue this behavior until a few months after my termination when she called the new line lead a name, she was placed on a 3 day suspension and then given her job back, when she should have been fired according to company policy about treating each other respectfully at all times. Probationary employees aren't allowed to make any mistakes during their 90 days or they are fired. Too many stupid excuses are used for getting rid of probationary employees such as the above reasons, which happened to myself and another probationary employee who quit before they fired her for registering a complaint about the union employee. I didn't figure I would be accused of not getting along with employees by registering a complaint against a union employee and standing up for myself and two other probationary employees to be spoken to without disrespect and rudeness. Nor did I anticipate being let go and told I willfully performed poor quality work after I made a mistake during training on one of the insertion machines when I inadvertently put a part on backwards on the machine and my trainer was placed on another line and at opposite end from where I was instead of being with me to watch what I was doing and correcting me when needed. The biggest cop out excuse for my termination was I was not a proper fit for the company despite the fact that I have an Associates Degree in Electronics Engineering and have worked in other companies as their field service technician and Junior/Senior Engineering Technician.

Advice to Management

Your policy states that all employees will treat each other respectfully at all times, this should also apply to your union employees more so than the probationary employees since they set the example for probationary employees. No one should be in union status and placed in positions of shift coach or line lead since union members protect their fellow union brothers and sisters before they would be fair to a probationary employee. Your hiring of employees for your pool candidates is a cop out for hiring people long enough to get caught up and then getting rid of them afterwards before they are able to join the union, hire a temporary agency instead of messing with people's lives. People give up jobs to take up employment with your company to better themselves but also to help assist your company in meeting your customer needs, treat them the way they deserve to be treated, an asset to your company not as a liability. Your company has fired many people who would have done a great job for you. Stop placing adds for your pool candidates when you have employees laid off!!

6. Supportive environment that facilitates growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Learned a lot during my internship here; great co-workers, great projects, great time.

Cons

Not much to do with the company but to the location of the office itself--not much to do around there, kind of boring after hours.

7. Great place to work, and grow. Amazing tuition reimbursement program.

Current Intern - Firmware Engineer in Bradenton, FL
    Current Intern - Firmware Engineer in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at United Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The location is fantastic. Small company feeling, with big corporation perks. Room to grow, with relocation required. Competitive salaries, product line is big so lots of areas to work in. Sometimes it might feel slow, just like any big company.

Cons

The room to develop might be contingent upon your willingness to move around or chase down the opportunity. Other than that there isn't another reason why would not work here, it's a great company.

8. Great organization to work for.

I have been working at United Technologies

Pros

Benefits included are industry leading.

Cons

Corporate mentality can hinder business opportunities.

9. Good for growth, low risk

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good to learn in a limited risk environment
    Good people
    Lots of education support
    Product is relevant
    Learned "best practices"

Cons

So process driven that your job can just be updating charts
    Forced culture
    Old school mentality
    Not many female leaders
    Utc corporate controls everything which makes supply chain tricky (when east coast needs to buy in)

Advice to Management

Less status charts, more trust in people

10. Great company but can be frustrating

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of bright and driven people.

Cons

You have to know how to play the game to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Hold managers more accountable for developing the people that report to them.

11. Great learning academy

Former Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Really great people there, good processes, excellent learning environment including leading education assistance program

Cons

UTC has long made its financial targets through bottom line excellence, not top line organic growth. Therefore, there is a constant need for restructuring, as one measure to achieve cost savings to meet the bottom line targets.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in career development and learning.