United Technologies

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert
Louis R. Chênevert

Pros
  • Pay is good and great benefits also they have employee scholar program (in 15 reviews)

• Employee scholar program is great (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others (in 9 reviews)

• Communication with upper management wasn't always clear (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Confusing Decisions/Directions now that UTC is running the show

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Good benefits in terms of sick time and culture.
    - Good schooling benefits
    - Work life balance is good

Cons

- No communication
    - Pay is average
    - No direction from Management
    - Broken processes
    - Low morale
    - Bonus structure isn't great, payouts are poor
    - Many managers, no leaders. Very focused on bottom line, no eyes on the horizon
    - Many managers have no manufacturing experience, They love data, which I do as well, but they don't do much with it.
    - Technical people aren't valued as much, managers seem more valued (perception)
    - Always changing direction
    - The vision is 15% earnings growth, and it ends there. so I ask, How are we going to do it? What are the plans, what are our core competencies? What is being outsourced? What equipment are we buying? What are we getting rid of?
    - Very old equipment
    - No training job training, skills enhancing.

Get your head out of your butt. Understand the current situation, fix the problems, redo bad processes, stop looking at the bottom line the whole time and start looking at the big picture. Stop chasing dimes with dollars when dollars can be saved with redoing major processes.

It seems to me that they try to force things through the processes because the processes are horrid. Bad processes encourage people to go around them or figure out ways to not go through them, like changing procedures for bad prints because the eco process takes months to get through. Fix the bad processes so people won't have to think around them. Also, don't flow down processes and force people to adhere to them when they don't exist or when no training is done on how to perform them. Train people on SAP, FIX SAP, train people on how to do their job. The quality of a product comes from the design, people, equipment, you have old equipment, no training of the people, and the designs are very old. I fail to see how you can improve the quality of the product strictly through minor changes in procedural changes. Figure out the core compentencies, develop them, buy equipment for them, train the people on how to use the equipment, advance the processes for those, and design for the use of your core compentencies, design out the stuff you don't want to use.

Great Place to Learn

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Great benefits. Very knowledgeable and hard working people.

Cons

It was a bit too corporate. As an intern, I felt belittled at times

Some of the brightest minds work at UTC

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leading edge technology. Challenging work that matters to many. The maker of the new Marine 1 Helicopter landing in front of you is impressive.

Cons

Not a con - but, getting through process is a challenge. One must be focused on the right solution for the customer first and work through the internal process second.

Listen to your customer facing staff. Their input is first hand and unfiltered. The customer is the reason for the hard work done daily by thousands of employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Arghhhh

Current Employee - Manager  in  Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Farmington, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is relatively comparable to other companies

Cons

Bullying rampant
    Ethics don't apply to executives
    Love all show and no substance employees

Get a clue!

Sad to see the demise of a wonderful culture..

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at United Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It offers structure. It has solid business practices, good work-life balance, paychecks clear.

Cons

Cost cutting at the expense of employees is the basic driver.
    Management lays off people based on cost, not performance or experience
    Chaotic direction from management.
    Honesty from management and HR is sorely lacking.

Rethink why would you pay billions for a company (Goodrich) that was successful and profitable and then proceed to dismantle the very policies and procedures that made it successful.

Great first career experience as a college graduate

Former Employee - Financial Leadership Program
    Former Employee - Financial Leadership Program

I worked at United Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Develop and grow career with experience in a lot of different areas. I was in the finance rotation program which gave me the opportunity to travel and experience different departments within finance and travel internationally.

Cons

Didn't always get the rotation or job that you wanted and some corporate politics. Communication with upper management wasn't always clear.

Goodrich was a decent place to work but UTC has changed the place with vice grips of ACE reqt's and etc..

Current Employee - Staff QA Engineer  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Staff QA Engineer in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salaries, Career opportunities, company sponsored educational benefits

Cons

UTC is laying off senior staff thru golden hand shakes and lots of outsourcing key support dept's. Hiring freezes big work loads.

Communicate what is going on to all employees. Discuss company common goals to all.

Giant company with little focus on people

I have been working at United Technologies as a contractor

Pros

Good benefits, 401K match, tuition reimbursement, health, gain share, etc.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, poor middle management, lack of leadership coaching

Listen to your employes.

Crazy management

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is good, some people are very talented

Cons

Bullying is rampant -particularly one EhS vp at CCS. HR focuses on promoting themselves - heaven forbid the should have to do anything for an employee. Ethics policy "selectively" enforced.

Look at how some of your executives act. It is disgraceful.

This is a company with good pay and benefits but lots of corporate red tape.

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at United Technologies as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The company tends to provide decent benefits and competitive pay. I found I enjoyed working with the majority of the employees and worked in a comfortable environment. My current supervisors are well qualified and are very logical and reasonable.

Cons

The starting vacation allotted for full time employees is low but buying extra is an option. There is a lot of red tape for even standard work. There are many career advancement opportunities at many locations but it may be necessary to work more than several years at the company to be promoted.

As a ground level employee I would like to criticize a lot of the decisions and changes currently being made in the company and how rapidly large project decisions are attempted, but I understand how most of the decisions will benefit the company as a whole financially. Although the smoke and mirrors strategy being used to keep employees feeling secure in there jobs ends up making employees nervous about their employment anyway. The meetings with upper management seem like they are being used to instill security in the employees but are leading to a distrust and disconnect between the ground level employees and upper management.

Worked for United Technologies? Contribute to the Community!