United Technologies

Updated November 26, 2014
3.3

United Technologies Chairman & CEO Louis R. Chênevert
Louis R. Chênevert

Pros
  • Take advantage of the great employee scholar program (in 18 reviews)

• Many are able to sustain a 40 hour work week and has great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• All business units operate autonomously so no chance to collaborate with others (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It was cool

Former Employee - EBusiness Quality Tester in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - EBusiness Quality Tester in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at United Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always the building. Could go down the hall and get some windows looking outside.
    Having a manufacturing plant connected where if we had eye and ear protection we could walk around and see .
    Bryant sponsoring Tony Kanaan in the Indy 500. Sweets in the Suites and red Converse shoes for everybody

Cons

2 floor system, I prefer 1 floor.
    Very few men active in the inside events, too many women.
    If you were "In" then you could stay In.

Could use a diagram of who is the boss of who.
    Move quality test out from marketing and make it an independant partner with IT, Could never tell what IT was spozed to do.

10 years and a layoff

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Middletown, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

safe working environment and good caferteria

Cons

they are definitely looking for younger people

stop age discrimination

OK place to work

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working in the research center for 5 years. It is fairly flexible, knowledgeable colleagues to work with and OK compensation. Different things to work on.

Cons

Too much of a show place, tour comes everyday and disrupt working. People skill is much more important than technical skill to be successful. Many time people get lots of money doing things really doesn't make sense, only because this guy has good exposure and can get money from upper management.

Learning experience

Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment to learn gas turbine repair and chemical stripping.

Cons

Pay is not comparable to other companies.

Pay better. Especially if employees are hardworking. And constantly learning.

What's the secret to being successful?

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Variety of divisions and opportunities--ability to move around

Cons

Very male-dominated, hierarchical, rigid, non-innovative, does not reward risk-taking

Become human

Confusing Decisions/Directions now that UTC is running the show

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good benefits in terms of sick time and culture.
    - Good schooling benefits
    - Work life balance is good

Cons

- No communication
    - Pay is average
    - No direction from Management
    - Broken processes
    - Low morale
    - Bonus structure isn't great, payouts are poor
    - Many managers, no leaders. Very focused on bottom line, no eyes on the horizon
    - Many managers have no manufacturing experience, They love data, which I do as well, but they don't do much with it.
    - Technical people aren't valued as much, managers seem more valued (perception)
    - Always changing direction
    - The vision is 15% earnings growth, and it ends there. so I ask, How are we going to do it? What are the plans, what are our core competencies? What is being outsourced? What equipment are we buying? What are we getting rid of?
    - Very old equipment
    - No training job training, skills enhancing.

Get your head out of your butt. Understand the current situation, fix the problems, redo bad processes, stop looking at the bottom line the whole time and start looking at the big picture. Stop chasing dimes with dollars when dollars can be saved with redoing major processes.

It seems to me that they try to force things through the processes because the processes are horrid. Bad processes encourage people to go around them or figure out ways to not go through them, like changing procedures for bad prints because the eco process takes months to get through. Fix the bad processes so people won't have to think around them. Also, don't flow down processes and force people to adhere to them when they don't exist or when no training is done on how to perform them. Train people on SAP, FIX SAP, train people on how to do their job. The quality of a product comes from the design, people, equipment, you have old equipment, no training of the people, and the designs are very old. I fail to see how you can improve the quality of the product strictly through minor changes in procedural changes. Figure out the core compentencies, develop them, buy equipment for them, train the people on how to use the equipment, advance the processes for those, and design for the use of your core compentencies, design out the stuff you don't want to use.

Great Place to Learn

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Great benefits. Very knowledgeable and hard working people.

Cons

It was a bit too corporate. As an intern, I felt belittled at times

Average conglomerate

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UTC is a strong company with a well managed portfolio. They have one of the best educational reimbursement programs in the world, which can be a big draw for someone looking to enhance skills. They have reasonably comprehensive benefits. UTC's ACE is a good, middle of the road continuous improvement system that keeps technical performance solid. The company has a pretty good balance in integrating new acquisitions, imposing a few "best practices" like ACE, but letting the companies run themselves for the most part. UTC has a very strong corporate ethics program.

Cons

As a publicly traded company, the emphasis is relentlessly on shareholder return. That means strategy and innovation always takes a back seat to quarterly earnings. Long cycle time business opportunities are all but lost. This can be a major shock to acquired companies which have aggressively invested and taken some risks to create a business, only to discover that their days of expanding their business through investment and flexibility are essentially over. Risk averse is an understatement.
    Compensation is middle of the road. We don't "hire the best because we want to be the best". We hire the average, and hope our best practices level the playing field.

Push back on Wall Street and the corporate office a little more. Don't let UTC's corporate culture invade your successful company. Find a way to take the good best practices without becoming a clone. Fight to keep your truly exceptional innovators and behave like a startup. Use your discretion, and ask forgiveness later rather than falling into the "mother may I?" gravity well of corporate life.

Jobs Outsourcing - Facility Closing

Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training for a future job...somewhere else.

Cons

Too bad Corporate America and Washington outsourced yet another aerospace company outside the USA.

What goes around comes around. You will be next to be replaced by a foreigner. Unlike politicians we cannot vote you out. You should be ashamed. Believe in America and keep the jobs in the USA.

Sad to see the demise of a wonderful culture..

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It offers structure. It has solid business practices, good work-life balance, paychecks clear.

Cons

Cost cutting at the expense of employees is the basic driver.
    Management lays off people based on cost, not performance or experience
    Chaotic direction from management.
    Honesty from management and HR is sorely lacking.

Rethink why would you pay billions for a company (Goodrich) that was successful and profitable and then proceed to dismantle the very policies and procedures that made it successful.