United Utilities

United Utilities Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

United Utilities CEO and Director Steven L. (Steve) Mogford

Steven L. (Steve) Mogford

The best company I ever worked for ......

Manager (Former Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsTechnical and Engineering posts are brilliant. Good for engineers but Water and Waste Water are lowly paid for engineers. Great places to visit, good people to work with. I received lots of training until the cuts came in about 2006.

ConsNobody can make a decision on the own. Everything has to have multiple meetings and it seems that nothing ever changes. Group think and 'yes men and women' survive, always agree even if you disagree. If you don't agree with your manager you will be given 'severance'. HR are the enforcers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountants are great at Accountancy! Water engineers are great at Water Engineering. The assets that you own and operate today were not built on 10 year asset life, they were built by Victorians to last for 100 years. Directors should stop thinking about the 3 year share bonus plans and think about the longer term interests of the company. "Maintenance" is a dirty word and the company wastes tens of millions of pounds building great assets and then not maintaining them.

Couldn't Wish For a Better Place to Work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsCompared to previous jobs, I've always been treated exceptionally at UU. It's like being part of a huge family, and the company has some fantastic people to work with, and some exceptional talent.

Excellent company pension and share incentive plan to join. Lots of other benefits available to enjoy every year. The company communicates well with employees to keep everyone apprised of new developments / company direction.

There is ample opportunity to progress in the business, and to learn more about other areas. The companies' dedicated Learning & Development team ensure there is always more to explore for those with a thirst for knowledge and drive to improve.

ConsThe company is in need of Plain-English bleaching. Far too many young hot-shots cropping up who love to talk almost exclusively in meaningless buzzwords.

Many of the people in the IT side of the business are downright arrogant, believing their supreme expertise in whichever IT profession grants them the right to condescend to those who don't see the world in ones and zeros.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the Plain-English campaign back in. Get rid of those senior staff who have let the power go to their heads.

Have never once thought baout leaving!

Operations Assistant (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGood pay for what we do
    Personal development plans allow us to get promotions so your knowledge is never capped
    Good rewards
    Good benefits
    Very easy going as long as you put the work in

ConsThe only challenges are working with people who arent willing to go with the flow and change the way we work. stuck in their old ways even though time is moving on

Advice to Senior Managementstop bumping up your own salaries, it annoys a lot of people who werent happy with the pay review

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be great progressively got worse.

Water Network Manager (Former Employee) Ellesmere Port, England (UK)

ProsWorking out on the patch and dealing with day to day issues that mattered. Having a good team around you that were prepared to go the extra mile. If left to do the day job it was great.

ConsSenior management changing their mind and direction and not having a grip on the job that needed to be done. Too concerned with Airlines (Health and Safety) and WOW returns a very poor attempt at gauging customer feedback on the individual. The day job was great but far too many meetings, indecision and poor leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementRuck up unannounced and spend the day with an individual to see what issues he/she has to deal with in their working day. None of this preplanned guided tour rubbish. Experience the real world of water supply and distribution. The world of failing assets and poor investment.

Avoid working in Business Retail

ProsNothing good to say about Business Retail. Wholesale on the other hand, seems to be less frenetic, with calmer and more capable people in charge.

ConsLack of experienced people managers.
    High levels of toadyism.
    Total absence of direction from senior management.
    Credit is not given where it is due.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you hire the right people who have line management responsibilities.

A great place to work on

Consultant (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsIt is an ideal company to work in since it is improving day by day in terms of advancement of infrastructure and the numerous oppurtunities it creates for its employees will always help them to learn, grow and be strong in their area.

ConsWell you need to be on your toes in order to do things since in a growing environment you have to work hard and hard to share the success and participate in the growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlready they are doing a good thing

Worked for United Utilities? Contribute to the Community!