United Wholesale Mortgage

Updated December 19, 2014
3.4

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really take care of their people and do everything they can to make you successful. I've been there six months so far and I really don't see any of the negative things people have posted on here. There is plenty of room for growth and the company is constantly growing. Since I started six months ago I've seen 4 people promoted into management. Also the company is very open about what each A.E. makes. They post an email of everyone's commission for the month and honestly there isn't anyone that has been there more than a year that isn't making over six figures. Also from what I've experienced Management is very helpful and patient, they all are including the owner of the company himself. Quite a few times he has came by my desk to say hi or stopped me in the hallway to ask me how things were going. Management listens to their employees and our constantly improving and doing things to keep us happy. I don't believe they would have won the award of Best Place to Work In Metro Detroit if this wasn't true.- I think the people who complained about being mirco- managed are just lazy. The company is not going to let you just sit there and hang out all day you have to work but Ive never seen or heard of anyone's job threatened. It's not a perfect company, they do make mistakes sometimes. But they always own up to it and fix it right away instead of trying to sweep it under the rug or blame things on the employee. As far as the favoritism others have posted on here, I haven't seen that either. Of course you have people who are going to look out for their friends, but the management in this company knows when you succeed and make money they succeed and make money. From what I've personally experienced they do everything they can to make you successful.

Cons

This place is a great place to work. If your looking for a company that cares about you, a place where you can make good money in a 40 hour work week with no weekends, then this is the place for you. The only con I see about this place is the starting pay. They start you off at a base salary of 35k and no commission for the first six months. Once the six months is up you go to 18k base pay plus commission and I got to say the bonus structure is awesome. The problem is it takes about 9 months before you start making good money. (when I say good money I mean at least 50 to 60k). For most people it takes about a year before you start seeing 80k or more consistently. But once you get there you stay there. The office has about 250 A.E.'s. About 150 of them have been there less than a year and are making the 35k (6 mos or less) or anywhere from 50 to 80k. The rest of them that have been there more than a year are all making a 100k or more and there is about 5 guys in the office making 500k or more.

Keep doing what your are doing. You guys do a great job of coaching us and helping us become successful. This company understands for it to grow its employees must be successful. Management provides you with all the training and resources you need to be good at your job and make money.

Free drinks, Starbucks, and nice building

Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a micro management.
    Training is very unhelpful.
    unprofessional business.
    All you will learn there is the F word.
    It's a fake company all they do is copy QL.
    They don't tell you nothing about the what you have to go through the training.
    Tests and the final is 200 questions. If you don't pass it you are pretty much gone. DM meeting so boring all say same thing over and over no value.
    The Training wasn't valuable.
    I will never recommend it.
    If you like a micro management company than its a perfect fit for you.
    It's an secure job and the money is not there. Lots of people either quit or get fired over dumb reasons.

Cons

There is no money can be making there. They have 250 AE's 5 of them making good money, another 15 make an ok money and the rest pretty much make nothing.
    They keep saying you have to wait a yr to make a money which is all bs.
    They don't set you up for success at all.
    All the ppl who get fired and let go from QL works there.

Stop acting like QL. You will never be like them ever they are way better.
    Change your system and your training guys.
    Stop saying the F word in every single sentence be a professional.

Great company and culture to be a part of

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time

Pros

Management really listens to their employees. They go out of their way to keep employees happy and in return employees are happy to come to work and it rubs off on brokers and clients. Crazy concept corporate America! Treat employees with respect. Strict 40 hour woke week which is great for work and life balance. But you need to give it your all in those 40 hours. Great training that helps you become successful.

Cons

The only and I mean only con is the earliest shift for an account exec is 9-6. I would rather come in earlier and leave earlier but you can't win em all!

Keep listening to your employees and working as a team!

Petty -Micro Management

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are friendly, benefits are good, high earning potential has a gym Starbucks coffee and cafeteria several free coffee and pop stations

Cons

The biggest challenge is the middle management style. They do as others on here have said belittle and micro manage your every move. Never feel secure everything is at minimum threated to be a firing offense. Daily huddles as they call them ( mini meetings) that have no value to the job at hand. Weekly meetings that are repetitive in content and remind me of a high school pep rally. Testing directly after the meeting and the following Monday these test are poorly written and often contain incorrect answers which defeats the intent of knowledge retention. Upper Management promotes those who are in their social circle. The culture is such that popularity out ways performance. Upper management rewards their often weaker Account Executive friends with producing money making accounts . It gets better then they prop them out in the weekly meetings as being the model AE who followed the direction of management and achieved success. Smoke and mirrors company that you must learn to maneuver through. We have hundreds of non producing accounts. These accounts have had bad experiences with operations and the team that is suppose to insure once you get one loan in the door operations is suppose to make sure you get the next one. The finger is always pointed at the Account Executive that you took in the wrong loan. Operations is always right and protected.

Hire a professional test writer if you want knowledge retention. Change the meeting recaps to be detailed in content and mirror the retention intent of the test . Stop with the belittling of people this is not a college locker room. Stop contradicting yourselves. Stop with the attitude if your not dialing your not working. Let us take the time to do our jobs correctly. Researching , reading to be knowledgeable about the market we are lending in and the people we are partnering with. The time to take good notes. The time to properly train our partners without the fear of number of dials or people I kept on the phone over 2 minutes . Let us do what we do and trust us. I promise the numbers will flow if you stop busting our chops all day everyday.

Dissatisfied

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The building is pretty and the company spent a boatload of money making it look good for the press

Cons

It is a hostile work environment. If you state this to senior management they brush it under the rug, and the next thing you know either to are transferred or fired. The senior management treats the employees terrible, as if they are untouchable and GOD, all the while implying the employees are stupid so they justify not giving a raise. The only employees getting raises are upper management

Send the owner to school along with the rest of management. Micro management is NOT the way to run a business

A great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is led by a great president who leads rather than bosses around. The culture of the company is great!

Cons

Can't really say anything bad, I would've liked to earn more money working for them but who wouldn't?

I was given the opportunity to broaden my knowledge within the mortgage business.

Former Employee - Underwriting II in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Underwriting II in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, ongoing training and incentives.

Cons

Always looking to clients needs. Promote from within organization first. Flexible work schedule.

Being able to have a flexible work schedule makes coming to work and putting your best efforts forward enjoyable.

Worse Co in History

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage

Pros

The co-workers are friendly. There is 40hour work week. One hour unpaid lunch. Mandatory weekly meetings that last about 2hr with testing afterwards requires 80% pass.

Cons

This seemed like the perfect opportunity hence the fact they micro manage, they take your accounts once you build them and give them to their friends and family within co, disrespectful, belittle you and are very unprofessional....RUN!

Learn how to manage and get a proper education. Lay off the illicit parties so you can manage.

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Culture, Perks, Nice building, Great CEO.

Cons

Over staffed, loss of bonus and overtime.

At first it was great, now it's very micromanaged and difficult to please management no matter what you do.

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are only required to work 40 hours per week.

Cons

Every time that an account submits a file with an error your small amount of commission gets docked. I've lost several thousands of dollars over the last 12 months due to this. You are paid on units and not volume. The units are in a tier level. if you don't hit at least 25 closings per month you are making very little in commission. Management is always looking over your shoulder looking for reasons to fire you. I never know if I will have a job at the end of the day.

Stop worrying about the tedious things we do and start doing your job.

United Wholesale Mortgage Photos