United Wholesale Mortgage

United Wholesale Mortgage Reviews

Updated July 13, 2014
Updated July 13, 2014
3.4

Great company and culture to be a part of

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time

Pros

Management really listens to their employees. They go out of their way to keep employees happy and in return employees are happy to come to work and it rubs off on brokers and clients. Crazy concept corporate America! Treat employees with respect. Strict 40 hour woke week which is great for work and life balance. But you need to give it your all in those 40 hours. Great training that helps you become successful.

Cons

The only and I mean only con is the earliest shift for an account exec is 9-6. I would rather come in earlier and leave earlier but you can't win em all!

Keep listening to your employees and working as a team!

Petty -Micro Management

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are friendly, benefits are good, high earning potential has a gym Starbucks coffee and cafeteria several free coffee and pop stations

Cons

The biggest challenge is the middle management style. They do as others on here have said belittle and micro manage your every move. Never feel secure everything is at minimum threated to be a firing offense. Daily huddles as they call them ( mini meetings) that have no value to the job at hand. Weekly meetings that are repetitive in content and remind me of a high school pep rally. Testing directly after the meeting and the following Monday these test are poorly written and often contain incorrect answers which defeats the intent of knowledge retention. Upper Management promotes those who are in their social circle. The culture is such that popularity out ways performance. Upper management rewards their often weaker Account Executive friends with producing money making accounts . It gets better then they prop them out in the weekly meetings as being the model AE who followed the direction of management and achieved success. Smoke and mirrors company that you must learn to maneuver through. We have hundreds of non producing accounts. These accounts have had bad experiences with operations and the team that is suppose to insure once you get one loan in the door operations is suppose to make sure you get the next one. The finger is always pointed at the Account Executive that you took in the wrong loan. Operations is always right and protected.

Hire a professional test writer if you want knowledge retention. Change the meeting recaps to be detailed in content and mirror the retention intent of the test . Stop with the belittling of people this is not a college locker room. Stop contradicting yourselves. Stop with the attitude if your not dialing your not working. Let us take the time to do our jobs correctly. Researching , reading to be knowledgeable about the market we are lending in and the people we are partnering with. The time to take good notes. The time to properly train our partners without the fear of number of dials or people I kept on the phone over 2 minutes . Let us do what we do and trust us. I promise the numbers will flow if you stop busting our chops all day everyday.

Dissatisfied

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The building is pretty and the company spent a boatload of money making it look good for the press

Cons

It is a hostile work environment. If you state this to senior management they brush it under the rug, and the next thing you know either to are transferred or fired. The senior management treats the employees terrible, as if they are untouchable and GOD, all the while implying the employees are stupid so they justify not giving a raise. The only employees getting raises are upper management

Send the owner to school along with the rest of management. Micro management is NOT the way to run a business

A great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is led by a great president who leads rather than bosses around. The culture of the company is great!

Cons

Can't really say anything bad, I would've liked to earn more money working for them but who wouldn't?

I was given the opportunity to broaden my knowledge within the mortgage business.

Former Employee - Underwriting II in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Underwriting II in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, ongoing training and incentives.

Cons

Always looking to clients needs. Promote from within organization first. Flexible work schedule.

Being able to have a flexible work schedule makes coming to work and putting your best efforts forward enjoyable.

Worse Co in History

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage

Pros

The co-workers are friendly. There is 40hour work week. One hour unpaid lunch. Mandatory weekly meetings that last about 2hr with testing afterwards requires 80% pass.

Cons

This seemed like the perfect opportunity hence the fact they micro manage, they take your accounts once you build them and give them to their friends and family within co, disrespectful, belittle you and are very unprofessional....RUN!

Learn how to manage and get a proper education. Lay off the illicit parties so you can manage.

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Culture, Perks, Nice building, Great CEO.

Cons

Over staffed, loss of bonus and overtime.

At first it was great, now it's very micromanaged and difficult to please management no matter what you do.

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are only required to work 40 hours per week.

Cons

Every time that an account submits a file with an error your small amount of commission gets docked. I've lost several thousands of dollars over the last 12 months due to this. You are paid on units and not volume. The units are in a tier level. if you don't hit at least 25 closings per month you are making very little in commission. Management is always looking over your shoulder looking for reasons to fire you. I never know if I will have a job at the end of the day.

Stop worrying about the tedious things we do and start doing your job.

Account Executive / work life balance great

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

work life balance great. Accessible management; Tons of incentives; manageable work load; team environment one of the best owners I have worked for. Owner even takes the time each week to stop by your desk and say hi.

Cons

salary is to low and takes time to earn enough to pay bills. But can make a great living once you build your accounts up.

Starting salary should be a min of $24k

Interesting

Former Employee - GFE Specialist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - GFE Specialist in Troy, MI

I worked at United Wholesale Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot

Cons

Management is petty, the only way to advance it seems you have to suck up to management and stab your coworkers in the throat.

United Wholesale Mortgage Photos