UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Baltimore, MD

Updated Jul 1, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some(in 230 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees(in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less(in 78 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance(in 77 reviews)

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoyed working with the members of United health group.

Social Services Specialist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI like the working from home.

ConsJob Security is an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees about changes in the company that could effect jobs.

Report Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe Telecommute was very convenient

ConsNo overtime pay for extra time spent

Too big for their own good

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat coworkers and work at home opportunities.

ConsDealing with layers of corporate bureaucracy in Minnesota is frustrating. Limited health insurance options; all plans have high deductibles and out of pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep away from the metrics & reports for once and listen to advice from employees on the front line. Remove the handcuffs of red tape and allow acquired entities the freedom do what they do best.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start

Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI feel like the company actually cares about me. Everyone you work with is very nice and fun to be around. They also offer lots of opportunity for advancement.

ConsFor this position there is mandatory overtime October through the end of the year. Also only get a 30 minute lunch break and two 15 minute breaks.

UnitedHealth Group Enterprise Talent Community Manager responded to this review

Jun 7, 2013

Thanks for the great review and we are so glad that you have had a positive expereince working here. Thanks for all the great work you do!

poor training for a technical job and they work you to death

Pharmacy Benefits Technician (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI cannot think of any unless you like a boat load of forced overtime.

Cannot think of any unless you like getting yelled at for errors but they may be the result of poor training tactics.

Cons*received poor training for a super technical job that has to be exactly right since Medicare rates the plan, in part, based on errors
    *management wishy washy on the direct report level
    *they work you to death without a care in the world, especially from dec-april.

I received poor training (side by sides when the person you are sitting beside has no time to go thru their job or else they have to stay late to make up work, do not encourage the best outcome). They needed to provide one on one, textbook classroom training for a week or two in order to produce better outcomes, especially when the job is so technical and accuracy, especially in often tricky situations, is a necessity.

They worked me to death (overtime was forced, you had no option to say no to any of it) to the tune of anywhere from 15-25 hours of overtime per check. The extra pay gets old really fast when you are gone from home 7am to 7pm every day. In one meeting, when someone complained about the overtime, his reply was something along the lines of "be glad you are getting paid for it." That is not proper leadership response, especially when a large part of the overtime was due to increased business that they knew 6 months prior was coming and they failed to adequately staff in advance.

The report to management is passive agressive, at best, and outright moody/nasty in bad situations.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training will create better results and better medicare ratings with fewer errors.
    learn to staff adequately.

Best opportunity to grow and learn.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsUHC provides training and development opportunities. My Management was easy to talk to and very interested in helping staff grow and development. They were also very supportive of my goals and creativity and what I could bring to the team. Provided a great work/life balance.

ConsThere is a very "who you know", cliquish" environment. It can be very competitive and cut throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally get to know the entire staff not just managers that directly report to you.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!