UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,170 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

XLHealth corp

Current Employee - Intake Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Intake Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, co workers, job satisfaction

Cons

Xlhealth was a great company until United Health group came on board with their corporate mentality and financial fitness program. I think overall UHG is a good company with room for advancemnt but management in place does not care about their employees

I enjoyed working with the members of United health group.

Current Employee - Social Services Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Social Services Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the working from home.

Cons

Job Security is an issue.

Communicate with employees about changes in the company that could effect jobs.

Current Employee - Report Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Report Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Telecommute was very convenient

Cons

No overtime pay for extra time spent

Politically Incorrect!

Former Employee - Clinical Coder in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Coder in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were great, people helped you if you needed it. When the company was in the red, they treated the employees with respect. There were benefits with little parties, acknowledging breast cancer by decorating, dressing up for Halloween. Little things that made you want to come in to work, that made you part of a group of people that had goals.

Cons

As soon as the company went into the black (2009) we were peons & worked like dogs to keep the company in the black. Then it became me against you! Everyone would go home with knives sticking out of their backs from all the "talk" that went on. It wasn't a nice place anymore, people got defensive. That's when I knew that the company was being scoped to be sold! The out-sourcing to India became competitive instead of working as a team. Management doesn't often realize (because they don't want to or because they don't care to) what effect the decisions they have given has on the employees.

The occasional pizza's were nice, and lunches, and bowling parties too. But do you know what would have been appreciated much more? An occasional "Good job" either in front of people or directly to the person that deserved it. Only the favorites ever got acknowledged, didn't matter what. Also the dress code - they tell you business casual - well business casual when I worked there ran the gamut from sweats 2 sizes too big to whatever. So many people got away with so much, but it wasn't anyone's business except management, it sure did create a great deal of animosity though. If it's good for one it should be good for another or an explanation as to why the privilege is given to the staff. I know a great deal has changed but I also know that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so I wish any future employee to take heed.

Too big for their own good

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and work at home opportunities.

Cons

Dealing with layers of corporate bureaucracy in Minnesota is frustrating. Limited health insurance options; all plans have high deductibles and out of pocket.

Step away from the metrics & reports for once and listen to advice from employees on the front line. Remove the handcuffs of red tape and allow acquired entities the freedom do what they do best.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel like the company actually cares about me. Everyone you work with is very nice and fun to be around. They also offer lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

For this position there is mandatory overtime October through the end of the year. Also only get a 30 minute lunch break and two 15 minute breaks.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Jun 7, 2013Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for the great review and we are so glad that you have had a positive expereince working here. Thanks for all the great work you do!

poor training for a technical job and they work you to death

Former Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I cannot think of any unless you like a boat load of forced overtime.

Cannot think of any unless you like getting yelled at for errors but they may be the result of poor training tactics.

Cons

*received poor training for a super technical job that has to be exactly right since Medicare rates the plan, in part, based on errors
    *management wishy washy on the direct report level
    *they work you to death without a care in the world, especially from dec-april.

I received poor training (side by sides when the person you are sitting beside has no time to go thru their job or else they have to stay late to make up work, do not encourage the best outcome). They needed to provide one on one, textbook classroom training for a week or two in order to produce better outcomes, especially when the job is so technical and accuracy, especially in often tricky situations, is a necessity.

They worked me to death (overtime was forced, you had no option to say no to any of it) to the tune of anywhere from 15-25 hours of overtime per check. The extra pay gets old really fast when you are gone from home 7am to 7pm every day. In one meeting, when someone complained about the overtime, his reply was something along the lines of "be glad you are getting paid for it." That is not proper leadership response, especially when a large part of the overtime was due to increased business that they knew 6 months prior was coming and they failed to adequately staff in advance.

The report to management is passive agressive, at best, and outright moody/nasty in bad situations.

better training will create better results and better medicare ratings with fewer errors.
    learn to staff adequately.

Best opportunity to grow and learn.

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UHC provides training and development opportunities. My Management was easy to talk to and very interested in helping staff grow and development. They were also very supportive of my goals and creativity and what I could bring to the team. Provided a great work/life balance.

Cons

There is a very "who you know", cliquish" environment. It can be very competitive and cut throat.

Really get to know the entire staff not just managers that directly report to you.

Not bad if your in the right department

Current Employee - Member Scheduling Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Member Scheduling Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers are all awesome and hardworking professionals. The company will feed you often and offer plenty of over-time. The pay is good and there is job security.

Cons

If you come into certain departments you will be stuck forever. Your managers will sabatoge your attempts to post out into other departments. Benefits suck, there is opportunities to advance but there is no rhyme or reason and many good, long-time employees are looked over for newer naive employees who are not aware of the negative history of the management team.

Listen to employees and offer fair opportunities for advancement.

Ok Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Ok job. Management is fair for the most part.

Cons

Not a place you want to you want to spend more than 5 years at.

UnitedHealth Group Photos