UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Rep for OptumRX in Carlsbad, CA

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsVery rewarding, professional company, and very good trainers and material as well!

ConsIf you have an early morning shift starting at 6:00 am when mandatory overtime comes around you could be required to be there as early as 5:00 am. Choose your shifts with the possibility of overtime possibly before your schedule as well. Oh yeah, those 30 min lunch breaks seem to zoom by....lol.

Great place to work. Employee appreciation is there. Benefits are good.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsAccruing vacation. Good management. Possible relocation to unexciting places. Or is Kansas exciting?

ConsRoom to grow is limited.

Disappointed

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, helping customers with problems the conversations with them were inspiring and sometimes funny, got a real appreciation for the meds that help with MS and Chemo drugs.

ConsLots of double talk from management, stats are what's really important not service, turn 'em and burn 'em attitude to customers calling in, lots of insurance issues, meds not being delivered to hospitals, or patients residences on time. I can actually see accounting in the cubicle farm, but you cannot transfer calls to them to actually explain the double charges, insurance issues etc, they do not take phone calls, but they will mess things up and have you deal with it! Imagine screwing a person out of money & life saving meds?? Those are conversations I hope to never have again!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire or transfer half of supervisors, they either don't care or they have become complacent and don't get the essence of their job is anymore, other than "our" queues stats are suffering!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nothing is at is seems

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat PTO accural
    Looks good on resume
    Lots of experience with Medical Prior Auths
    "worker bees" are friendly and helful

ConsThis opportunity started off being billed as a 3 week training course, that went to 4 weeks and then "suprise!! some of you will need to stay an extra week" for a different level of training. Ok it was paid training no problem. We found out that we would be doing medical billing and Prior Authorizations, wouldn't be getting paid any more money than the jobs we applied for but it would be more intense work with specific drugs and then "suprise!!" again instead of that one specialized area we would be doing both regular calls and "high touch" calls and nope no additional pay raise. This whole experience has been a lesson in half truths, and what i believe to be taking advantage of employees in a bad economy. The training was not realistic to the situations we face daily, very little floor support for questions without having to flag someone anyone down for help, on a regualr basis, there are knowing glances from employees that say more than words ever could. They know how to sell a lemon, that's for sure. Can't wait for the economy to get better. This is not at ALL what it was promised to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved get dirty, stop double talking, get trained in the new system, so you know what we are dealing with, and tell the truth!! we are adults we can handle it!

Think wisely before Joining this place

Plsql Developer (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsSettled life. No matter whether you work or not you will get your paycheck and no matter what people tell you can never be laid off.
    Good work life balance. you really do not need to do anything in office

ConsLot of bribery and commissions between Prime Vendors and some of the Managers there

No growth for good people. Somehow the people in the Middle Management have created a vicious group and only their bootlickers can grow to better positions. All of the people below need to work as bees. Do not ask questions. Just keep doing things even if you know they are going to fail.
    You can never grow here into more meaningful positions but it can be a very nice place to settle. No matter what you do nobody can remove you. It can work very bad for you as a leader but is a bliss when you want to sit and relax.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the Management at Prescription Solutions. You need to replace a few people who are hiding in key roles. Lot of bribery and commissions between Prime Vendors and some of the Managers there

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Carlsbad, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.