UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,587 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,587 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 200 reviews
  • "work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)"
    in 99 reviews
Cons:
  • "It should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases"
    in 66 reviews
  • "which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Your team will make or break your experience

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsThe title is stating the obvious, but I was in two teams here. The first one was awesome and some really smart people with amazing ideas. I was challenged and enjoyed what I did.

ConsThe second team I was in is the big 'con' while working here. It's hard to pick your team if you're just joining, but eventually you'll find out how people work. This team I was on was full of unhelpful people who didn't want me to disturb them or ask them questions. Hmmmm

Shrinking salary increases, bonus, benefit package!!!

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCulture and coworkers are best part of the position. Work life balance is adequate.

ConsBusiness is scrambling due to disruptions from Affordable Care Act. Unrealistic project timelines keep you from delivering complete solutions with quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your best people people forward to collaborate with IT early in the ideation process.

.......

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

ProsStability, Advancement Opportunities, Reputable Company

ConsNot too bad although there is some unnecessary micromanaging.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with lots of opportunity for growth.

: Project Manager (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy experience was great with this company.

ConsBecause it is a big company there are sometimes difficulty with turn over and change in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share changes with employees.

EHR

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent people to work with!!!!

ConsNO cons that I can think of.

Optum: Well organized, very smart people, good environment; Disadvantages of Corporate.

Data Manager (Former Employee)
Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is well organized,focused on process and training improvements, and has one of the most intelligent groups of people I have ever worked with.

They also have one of the premier healthcare analytics products available, though it is unclear with Obamacare's mandated coverage how important this will continue to be.

ConsWith that said the culture is one of hard, high-quality work; and relatively comparatively ego-less support of coworkers toward the best outcome for the customer. In my 7 years there I could always find this or that little thing to complain about; but I was always treated with respect and there was never a time when I saw someone try to cast blame, or put someone down for other's benefit. That safety may not be ubiquitous throughout the company; but was certainly widespread in my working area. There was also a large push last year to focus of people keeping working hours at 40, which greatly benefited work life balance

Pay, and PTO seem about standard for the industry, and the industry is undervalued as a whole. Improving pay/benefits would make it easier for the company to keep top tier people. I worked remotely, and found that remote workers were not utilized fully or given the same opportunities in the company... Some of that may be endemic to the situation, but is still a major weakness.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe part of the company where I worked also goes thru a reorganization and often layoffs -- which catch a lot of really good workers -- about every 10 to 16 months, often just as people finally get settled into the new processes, so these re-orgs cause a lot of wasted time and effort, and damages employee trust in upper management.
It also tends to push people into thinking that if something doesn't work really well; just stick it out as the problem will be re-organized away after awhile, rather than them working harder and pushing back to make it work better.

The biggest areas that management needs to improve (aside from the typical pay / PTO / total compensation): There need to be fewer re-orgs; and rather than ramping up staffing then doing mass layoffs (which causes a lot of good people to leave in itself); the company should hire more slowly and take the effort to go thru the processes of culling, say, the lowest 10% performers individually, if that is the strategy they choose; they should also find and stick with an organizational strategy that works, then tweaking at the edges to make that work better.

Lots of Changes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

ProsThe company itself has a great culture and great people.

ConsEver changing management, complete culture change after acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clarity in company direction and just exactly the company's role in the larger picture.

"Great Company to get you foot in the door...depending on your career goals"

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe work is dependable, the salary and the raises were steady as long as you met company goals and expectations. Great job for those who are fresh out of college and looking for corporate experience.

ConsOne can quickly reach a glass ceiling if they are not viewed as a team player. The benefits are not the greatest. Depending on the department, be prepared to stay in a subordinate role, those who escape those roles are hand-picked.

UHC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work atmosphere and friendly people

ConsPersonal growth and policies in place

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly and intergrity are a must...compassion always

Great company with vas opportunity!

Finance and Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility, modern, vast electronic capabilities. Very forward thinking upbeat company looking to modernize the healthcare field. We are on the move and the top in our field.
I plan on spending my career with this company.

ConsSalary nice, but could be a little better. It's been moderate over the years. Hopefully things thart looking up a little in the healthcare field

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up your great job, and continue keeping Optum an important part of your daily life.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,587 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.