UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent workplace

Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDesk job, don't really make contact with patients but depends on your job function. Work is not too overwhelming if you're ably to keep up with an always changing environment. Good benefits and lots of overtime. If you like to work to make extra money it's a plus.

ConsMicro managing happens a lot. Must follow a break and lunch schedule down to the minute. Definitely all about numbers, if you can't keep up you're gone. Mandated overtime can take over your life. Raises are between 0-5%.

Great company! Weak work-life balance

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots. People, pay, culture, flexible schedules, telecommuting common, most locations have nice amenities like gym and cafeteria

ConsLong hours are common. Great for young, single or career driven. Not so good If you want to give your family any degree of priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop losing great talent to burnout and turnover

Sales/Marketing Account Manager

Executive Account Renewal Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnited is a great company to work for in this role. They really push their technology and you utilizing this tool with your brokers and to utilize online resources, which helps makes your job easier. This is a position with high pressure, but you learn a lot about everything. The rewards are commission and base and building your network, technology and start to great career.

ConsThe cons are long hours, high expectations and UHC doesn't want to pay a good commission for the West Coast AM's?? Not sure if they understand the market, so the commission structure is adjusted downward, to force a renewal person to upsell way more additional products to meet a decent commission. Thus pushing the burden on you..

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management.. value your sales staff and give them more incentives to sell, retain and maintain your products. California is a tough market and relationships with brokers are critical, but if you don't give your staff greater incentives, they can be easily lured by competitors.

Good organization trying to not to implode under its own weight

Director (Former Employee)
Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people, dynamic environment, trying hard to serve members. Consolidation of acquisitions is a constant source of opportunities.

ConsLegacy employees drag down the more nimble, newer workers. Planning happens too far in advance to really respond to market changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater communication with rank and file. Less onerous capital financing process.

Overall great environment, but hard work goes unappreciated

Operational Trainer (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Career opportunities, friendly employees, overtime available.

Cons-Sometimes you are treated like just a number. Senior management does not take the time to get to know you before they decide to place you somewhere.
-They will fire you for one small mistake instead of working with you.
-Compensation is below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees on a first name & personality basis before making placement decisions. Do a better job of researching one's character before placing a sentence. These are people's lives on the line and I thought there would be a better focus on integrity.

Overall positive.

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood study program for actuarial students.

ConsSome departments could be rather busy and may require overtime.

Flag Review

UnitedHealth Group Enterprise Talent Community Manager responded to this review

Jun 7, 2013

Thanks for the positive review and glad you like working here!

No proper recognition from management

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeam members are excellent and helpful

ConsYou hardly get bonus. Feudal system

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate and appreciate the workers. A pat in the back is what most of them expect, which is rarely given

Excellent company to work for if you know how to play the game.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, flexibility, PTO, national locations, diversity positions offered. Nothing really stands out as amazing, but overall it really offers a good balance between work/life which is the biggest benefit of all.

ConsCan be very political and it seems that favoritism runs rampant. It can kind of cramp your career goals and make the path seem arduous at times. Other than the politics its a pretty good place to work overall.

Still Disorganized - Still Siloed - Still Hopelessly Clueless - even after three section changes in three years

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had hope for my newest section, though it is a REALLY bad sign when the section leader goes on vacation after hiring you (like the same day you come onboard, he is gone for two weeks) and then, when he comes back, he is no longer your manager. New mantra to self: "Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally". Brand new group - new people new to the org - bonus, right? Mostly, but they had never worked at a place like this and it showed.... Morale was down the toilet due to financial expectations on a group (in the millions) who had been in place like four months. Really? Seriously? Who was the genius behind all this?

Okay - back to pros... Telecommuting was nice. I liked the fact that the company was still supporting this, though I saw the job options for telecommuters dwindling in the past year. May be all jobs have been affected, not sure. Flexibility was nice, but that was a component of telecommuting, I believe. ESPP and 401K match were also good, but probably pretty standard. PTO was well above average, but you needed it in that place.

ConsHealth insurance was bad. Real bad. And costly. I didn't even buy it, it is so bad.

Disorganized and mismanaged workplace.

Siloed behavior - no one knew what was going on elsewhere.

Crazy, unreasonable financial expectations.

Turnover of personnel was through the roof - always hiring because always losing people. No continuity. Last group had 60% turnover in 1.5 years - only one non-Director person from the old group was still there when I left. The group before that had 100% turnover in 1.5 years, including the Director.

Crappy, outdated, broken systems - dozens of systems which are not integrated.

Too many entrenched, old, BULLY, boys-club management - they truly only want 'YES men' around them. Be prepared to be yelled at for not saying 'YES' to everything.

Tons of non-compliance and unethical behavior all over the place in all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't even know where to begin. Just glad it is not me anymore....

Worst company I have ever worked for in my career.

Customer Care Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get health insurance when you work for them. Its not great but its something.

ConsWhere to start? Bad management, terrible morale, most folks are walking around as though someone died. They try to hire as many non-U.S. born Filipinos as possible so that they can take advantage of their work ethic and tendency to abuse without complaint or wage increases. Poor management team that implements half-baked best practices that ultimately fail and they then blame the employee. I have never worked with so many obese people in my life and I think that contributed to the weekly call of the ambulance and paramedics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop some kind of coherent management style and really try to connect with your employees and subscribers. Do your homework about what really works and what does not instead of applying shoddy ideas and methods that you have no clue will work or not. Try and really put forth some effort when you are designing best practices for your employees versus half-cooked ideas that ultimately fail in their goal and drive company morale way down. Also implement some kind of fitness program as I have never worked with so many morbidly obese people in my life. I am sure this contributed to the once a week visit from paramedics.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Cypress, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.