UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.5
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1 Rating

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

Senior Project Manager

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

United is a large company with extensive opportunities. Benefits are decent. One pool of Paid Time Off (PTO) instead of separate vacation and sick accruals is a nice benefit.

Cons

As with any company, certain groups can be less organized and less productive than others, depending on the product/service offering, management competence, etc.

Advice to Management

Invest in training. Encourage your managers and staff to work collaboratively. Spend some money getting your remote managers together at least once a year (if not more) for team building.

CSO Optum/

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This call center was call Connextions who paid for me to get my health insurance license which has lead to me learning the whole wide world of Health insurance. I have gained customer service experience and how to help other understand this very confusing subject.

Cons

I have not had a real raise in 2 years. No position in this company is secure. I see supervisors worked way more than they are paid for and do not feel I can grow much without going somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Go to business school and learn how professionals communicate and keep up moral and negotiate better contract for your employees.

Really a bad job

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The patients are younger than the usual hospice clientele and very sick.

Cons

Long unpaid hours. no orientation. Your job duties change daily. Huge turnover.

Advice to Management

Quit bullying your staff.

5. Great culture, lots of options

Current Employee - Associate Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Positive work-life balance and flexibility, high expectations for performance, good culture, lots of options once you're in the company, pay for performance culture, cares about employees, in favor of development and growth, telecommuting options

Cons

Uncertainty of industry, large company that isn't very agile, demanding work, lack of focus in many jobs (asked to take on a lot of different things), not great health benefits package for an insurer (but not atypical in industry), conflicts between need for more services and more quality and cost-cutting

Advice to Management

Consider employee experience when discussing cost cutting strategies, especially balancing with other demands, like an increase in service and quality. Transparency is always valued. Hold all employees accountable for culture.

Licensed Medicare Sales

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Sales Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Sales Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that I was able to learn so many things about the healthcare and insurance industries in a sales capacity. It is a great beacon of knowledge for any person who knows how to use thier resources wisely and actively seeks knowledge and opportunity.

Cons

They have a very secretive culture. Not good for a person who doesnt know how to move up the professional political ladder by learning and applying social practices as well as a little sucking up. An outsider would never know the tricky things they do in order to promote selective internal employees. I have seen multiple people secure positions before the position was known to other employees. Cons include unfair business practices, select favoritism, and lack of growth and development. P.S. ALL TRAINING IS AWFUL BEST FOR SELF LEARNERS

Advice to Management

Take more of an interest in how you are training the trainers and coaches and be conscious on how your leadership team is treating entry level agents. They should be using the same type of empathy and customer care with employees as you would with customers.

Had too many jobs to count - this one was the very worst

Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't know what you are getting yourself into. I shall not find anything as bad as this place ever again.

Cons

You wake up to the fact that slimes from Florida's swamps had decided to move way up north, possibly to escape the python hunters of past summer. There is a gal that appears to be a receptionist who seems to have taken over the entire operation. Strangely sterile environment with coaches pretending to care about compliance.

Advice to Management

Get a GED at least

8. Fulfilling, yet chaotic...

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and generally great people to work with, rich benefits, great commissions IF you hit goal, market leader, powerful company

Cons

Challenging times for health carriers, very fast and sometimes drastic changes to job role and structure, several levels of management....all watching what you're doing

Advice to Management

Keep the culture going....truly great! Work on the communication between levels of management and ask more for people's input.

Showing 7 of 3,121 reviews