UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Hartford, CT

Updated Jul 16, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some(in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees(in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less(in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance(in 77 reviews)

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

United Health Group is a very innovative company with many opportunities.

Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsGood work and life balance
    Competitive salary
    Diversity of assignments

ConsWith so much going on, tend to concentrate on own silo and not see the big picture

Incompetent Management

Test Lead (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsNo much -- oh yes: there are many Exit doors at UHG! Use them!

ConsHow much time do you have? Every employee I talk to he/she is scared of management craziness -- TRUE: crazy women in charge of...nothing (a screwed up offshore). Intolerance, disorganization, ignorance and rudeness.

Welcome to UHG.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Big organization

Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsLot of training and community service opportunities

ConsPromotion by word of mouth and not on your capabilities

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop talent in Hartford as well

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some what stable.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsBenefits are not bad for company this size.

ConsUpper management needs a wake up call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and share with employees.

Bruised up, used up, discarded...

Senior Director, IT (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThere's no doubt that they're the dominant player in the marketplace, largely because they've acquired their way to 'too big to fail' scale. Their financial and business combination acumen (both in house and retained by external advisors) is as good as it gets. They have good front line people in many places. Their ability to reach massive population scale and do significant good for the health care system is unparalleled.

ConsWhere do I begin...unfortunately they're their own worst enemy. I'll start with group think. If you're even slightly methodical, even remotely deliberate in your execution, then watch. your. back. If you're driven to get difficult issues out in the open to discuss, debate and get them behind you, then watch. your. back. If you don't have the sponsorship of someone above you to help you get your agenda accomplished if it represents change and a possible exposure of less-than-acceptable execution on the part of organizational politicos, then...well, you know...WATCH. YOUR. BACK. Even if you DO have that support, WATCH. YOUR. BACK. because your sponsor may fall out of favor with his/her chain of command, and then you need to stop watching your back and start looking for a job...before you're let go in the next wave of downsizing...

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closer. Spend time with the contrarians. Look for and help the change agents, don't abandon them. That is all.

wonder first 13 years

Senior Financial Underwriter (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

Prosgood for growth as an underwriter. you will do every product and funding.

Consmanagers in the OH markets are evil

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees and realize when another manager has gone too far.

really nice

Project Manajer (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

Prosreally helpful and comprehensive, making questions that can help to find the best fit for you

Consnothing specific, he was really helpful

Shrinking salary increases, bonus, benefit package!!!

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCulture and coworkers are best part of the position. Work life balance is adequate.

ConsBusiness is scrambling due to disruptions from Affordable Care Act. Unrealistic project timelines keep you from delivering complete solutions with quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your best people people forward to collaborate with IT early in the ideation process.

Resigned after 2 years

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCompany offers large company buying power and stability. Facilities are always well kept

ConsInter team work is frowned upon. Broadening technical horizons is highly discouraged. Work is only to be complete as long as it falls into a stovepipe that you serve in. Management depending on which team you fall under does not encourage free and analytical thinking and often micromanages to the 15 minute time interval for some workgroups. Work is strictly controlled through management and ability to shine is taken away by task assignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow teams to work together in a free and open manner.
    Find ways either small or large to let employees know they are appreciated.
    Stop micro managing to the point where the management causes angst and not the work
    Create a plan or vision and stick to it. The ship cannot sail unless it knows where the endpoint is

Strategic Marketing Intern

Strategic Marketing InTERN (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsI enjoyed UnitedHealth Group, because of the reputability of the brand name, the great department dynamics, and the open communication that I experienced while working there.

ConsUnfortunately, I found the brand guidelines to be very strict brand guidelines.This hindered creativity and originality in terms of marketing efforts.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!