UnitedHealth Group

Updated Apr 8, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity for growth, they offer many benefits and services to their employees

ConsThe lenght of time you have wait to transfer to a different department.

Better than most

Provider Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat advancement opportunities if you want a career and not just another. Job.

Consfavoritism and politics are very real. Keep to yourself and do your job

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are people, not whimsical machines.

Great company

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Benefits, Great pay with opportunities for raises based on merit. Staff and upper management are great as well. They all, for the most part started at the bottom and worked their way up the ladder. So there is ample opportunity for growth. They promote from within.

ConsLong hours, not enough breaks

My experience with United Healthcare showed me my compassion for others in a day to day environment.

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStay busy in a ever changing environment.

ConsBack to back phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow compassion to the people you're managing.

Management style needs to change

Consultant (Former Employee)
Sugar Land, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Prosbig on giving back to the community

Consmisleading company poor working conditions

Advice to Senior Managementwork on being straight forward with employees about job responsibilities

ZERO work/life balance; more change than has capacity to support; overloads hard workers rather than add resources

Technical Writing Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTelecommuting had been a great benefit for years but then they started pulling people back into the office to follow suit with Yahoo/Best Buy headline trends.

Personal growth is very possible as you will be asked to do many, many jobs--outside your description.

Many extremely talented and bright people exist in this company

ConsGreat/hard work is often rewarded with flat praise and then much more work since you've become a proven high producer.

People are boxed into their roles and often cannot freely transition within company because they are too valuable--not enough information-sharing so people become stuck in silos.

Stack ranking prevents 20-30% of employees from receiving a merit increase or annual bonus--so if you get hired onto a high-performing team, you may end up being the bottom of the totem pole with no raise (despite doing really good work).

Raises and bonuses have become ridiculously low in last few years... while company has spent millions on acquiring new business and buying fancy new buildings, high-performing employees are being told they're "lucky" to receive a 1.5% pay increase annually and there is no recourse to question it further (Human Capital advises management to remind employees they are fortunate to just be employed in the present market). The kick in the pants is that reviews are done--telling many people no increase or bonus for them--right after CEO sends mass email about the overwhelming profit company made in previous quarter.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and realize that you need to invest in your employees to retain them--pay a comparable wage; allow telecommuting when it makes sense as many people will stay for that benefit; don't continue punishing 20% to increase competition--it decrease morale/teamwork and makes the environment cutthroat. No incentive to help peers. Why insult them with continued Vital Signs surveys when the results are ignored year after year as employees question why they're not receiving comparitive market wages.

The amount of new business being taken on is fantastic but will fall through the cracks if reactionary decisions to change systems, change team structure, change everything at once with no consideration taken for time needed to ramp up or adjust to the changes and inevitable glitches that follow. Really good, hard-working people are starting to jump ship because the company is not growing the teams to support all the new business; instead they think they can grow tools to consolidate more work being performed by same amount of people. People are NOT machines and too many are working 60 hour weeks to keep their jobs and look successful.

well drive you insane....

Houston, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Prosgetting paid each week and benefits.

Consupper management seem to be lack luster when it comes to assisting reps on the floor. how can have a title of supervisor but dont even have knowledge regarding a benefit question? but you guys want us to break our back and necks to service callers efficiently. HA! and all that mumbo jumbo of moving up in the company is quite the biggest lie I have ever been told in the past 10 yrs of me being in the workforce. if you are a CCP dont think you are going to be moving all over the company besides that is a big dream, they will deny your application because they need you for "business needs" aka we dont have enough workers and have alot of callers so now you have to suffer and be stuck. get out while you can!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn policy and procedures before so that you can EFFICIENTLY assist your CCP's and upper management please quite with the business lingo as to why certain things cannot be done, it is getting really, really, really old!

Account Manager, minor room for advancement

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary, diversity, genuine concern for employees

ConsPoor health insurance options for employees, process to hire is slow

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee's request into consideration.

Not for everyone

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsSome nice co-workers, food court is okay

ConsActually getting the job done and helping people aren't as important as they should be. It's all about numbers and giving the information (wrong or right) as quickly as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sucking

Administrate Coordinator ,

Administrate Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work. But they over work you

ConsThey are not considering your familiy

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.