UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Reviews in India

Updated Jul 28, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights
163 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Its a wonderful experience working in UHG

Claims Associate Representative (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsI like the Working Environment in the company

ConsPersonal growth, Company Values and Traning

good company to work with average work pressure

Senior Testing Engineer (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros- work culture
    -good for entry level

Cons- Not a good place to learn new technology

Great place to work

ProsFriendly workforce , Great senior management .

ConsFeedback loop is absent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

By Name it is "OPTUM" but don't be optimistic if you are a hard core developer and not very good with buttering your mgr

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork/Life balance
    Cool Life
    Good allowances for those who are in support :P
    Cab Facility is the one best(only) facility.
    outings and activities.
    Very few efficient managers (should be lucky enough to work with them).

Consfirst and foremost, Variable amount in the package(whenever you get the offer letter from UHG don't go with the CTC but check take home on monthly basis(Sure you will be shocked ) variable amount is paid on yearly basis.

Very Bad infrastructure(no Parking facility, no proper sitting facility), Quite common to see ppl running in search of cubicles.

They spend some lakhs of amount for converting a tester to a developer by providing external training, Many even don't understand Why ??????

(if someone can really good at buttering the Manager then this is the best company to reach heights in your career)

I felt strongly myself "This company is not for me or for those who completes the work and leave but it is for those ppl who wants to lead a cool life without much work", There might not be much growth professionally, This is not only my personal experience but also I have seen many of my seniors.

Finally, NOTICE PERIOD of 3 MONTHS and no buy out option(you will have this option in the documents, But will never work in real life), However when they are recruiting a new employee they will buyout his notice period. VERY FUNNY :)

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing from my side, If they go through the review comments from its employees that should be more than enough.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Work Life Balance

Associate Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGreat company for developers & Tester. Good work life balance.

ConsNot a good company for middle management. Responsibilities are not mathcing with role. Most of the decesions are taken at onshore, leads & manager just need to do resource management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more tranparent for vision

Worst place to be at!!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros- Sometimes work from home is available
    - ample leaves available
    - good overall pay package on papers
    - extra money in support projects
    - majorly free time at work since they don't have much work offshore
    - work life balance
    - some projects get broadband reimbursements
    - best place if you are TT player.
    - great cab facility ( best thing about working here)

ConsThere are two kinds of people: one who are hardworking and ambitious. And the others who just want to lay back and get their salaries at the end of the month. This place is *only* for the second type.
    If you are a good performer(type 1) all you get here is disappointments. You're up for surprises here if you want promotions and good quality work.
    This place can leave you at roads with no ends after 5 years of work here.
    The HR doesn't have any idea how to engage people. Completely clueless management. Just want the work done...by hook or crook. Burn your weekends or midnight candles. Get their work done anyhow so that the onshore remains happy!

Otherwise the management is so laid back and relaxed and uninterested that u loose interest and enthusiasm to work and learn. Trust me, after you spend 5 years here...you wud fear going out for interviews unless you are lucky and get some good work anyhow.
    Nobody knows anything about business. They have a complex software system here and not many know about it. You are on your own!

This is a heaven for the second kind of people! Although exceptions are there. Those exceptions who are grilled.
    Also,
    - extra official working hours ( that makes up for bit extra package)
    - undue favors to some special people
    - the growth aspects are weak. Internal job postings are fixed and pre-assigned.
    - your extra activities are a base for your promotions and not work (majorly)
    - 3 Months notice period
    - NO onsite for development projects.
    - Total mess at times.
    - no payouts at all for weekend support tasks from office for dev projects.
    - no bench strength.
    - highly monotonous work
    - no exposure to any new tech
    - worst training facility
    - worst and mismanaged gym.
    - work delegation is a norm here. Total politics!

If u still want to work here...be sure to negotiate with the HR at the time of joining. Because once you get in, you are doomed for growth and learning and exposure!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee development and growth concerns should be a priority.
    Get to work!

Till now I have enjoy in UHG. I have spend around 8 years in the organization

Project Lead (Current Employee) New Delhi (India)

ProsWork life Balance is best in UHG

ConsMovement or Change of Project.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp People in hard time

Nice company to work with

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsGood environment. work from home facility. Good work and life balance. Flexible hours.

ConsLate night calls sometimes. Senior management is not good.

Good Company to work with

SSE (Former Employee) Noida (India)

ProsBest for exp people ,no pressure,work from home, transport is very good.great work enviroment.

ConsNot good for freshers, nothing to learn much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparent and communication.lot of favoratism.

This organization makes you lazy...

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Pros1. Work Life Balance.
    2. Work From Home Facility (depends on your manager/policies within portfolio)
    3. Numerous Leaves
    4. Nice Cab Facility

Cons1. Idiot/Unqualified Management (especially mid level) : They don't have any skills neither technical nor analytical. They lack in communications as well (specialy frm ggn and noida side)...Hats off to the recruiter...

2. Instead of having a gud leave structure they won't allow you to take any...They will tell you to do work from home and try to give you as many work in that duration so that you can not have fun with your family members...Horrible trick for torture...

3. Max amount of ur CTC is stuck with them as Variable. So its ur Manager's call to give you that money or not....There is no transperancy in that...They can hold your amount without giving you the proper justification or proofs...And sadly there is no hierarchy to approach for this act...

4. There is no pattern for performence evaluation process...Employee have to accept the rating their Manager gives...There won't be any acknowledgement required from Employee side... It's kinda dictatorship...You have to accept what you manager is giving....

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't simply hire your subordinates with the brand tag of "INFOSYS" with 10-15 years of experience.
    Let them go through proper recruitment process and let them clear those.
    They are the one who deals with the actual technical team who takes care of UHC technical work.
    I am lucky that I am moving out of this organization but don't make anybody feel the same.
    Thanks you!!

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!