UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,130 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 265 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 142 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 97 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work from home

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home every day

Cons

Training Aids could be better

Misleading but hanging in there.

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love what I do.
    I believe in what I do for members, customers, company.

Cons

Supervisors and Management : Rigid, inflexible and have no compassion - unless you are a friend.
    No real open door policy. Do not dare approach supervisors or management with issues in the "open door" policy; you will pay.
    Separate files on employees that are not in your HR file. One incident or supervisor note will follow you all the way through your position. Very sad.
    Supervisors and Management believe they are above reproach.
    Supervisors and Management rule by fear.
    HR is a joke - will not back the employee even if employee is correct-no recourse.
    Supervisors and Management do not know the job tasks of hourly employees but make decisions based on what they think will work or their perception of a task.
    Write ups are very common and stay in your file entire career there.
    Supervisors and Management hire family, best friends, friends of friends-no advancement.
    Positions are filled before the job is posted just because it is policy to post an open position (positions are given to "friends".
    Company touts the Code of Conduct and all its completeness but will use it against you when can.
    Constant flow of new employees to cover those who left; very sad.
    Your best friend, friend of a friend, relative should not be your boss.

Get rid of the favoritism (no more hiring friends, friends of friends, family. This should be a question on every position. You should not be able to report to a friend, family member, friends child, etc.

Supervisors and Management should be made to take sensitivity training and apply that or they are no longer fit to oversee employees. Walk the walk.

There should be a reviews of supervisors and management done on semi annual basis, anonymous (no employee ID or log in, nothing to identify the employee).

The annual review of company should be broken down into 5-year increments (this will allow company to see how the more senior employees are feeling). As well as the question of how you know your supervisor / manager (did you know your supervisor / manager before being hired in your current position)?

15 minutes of fame with no future in Kidney Resource Services

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunities, decent pay, great tuition reimbursement, lots of training and CEU offerings

Cons

No retention plan for employees who obtain higher credentials. Poor communication between lower to mid management and staff.
    If you can figure out how to become a member of the "Good ole Nurse Club" GREAT! Other wise, I do not recommend a nursing position within Optum's Kidney Resource Services until you have completed your education and/or don't plan on advancing.

Don't wait until it's time to do an annual review before you drop the bomb on your employees about the new metrics that have been in place for the last 6 months.
    Don't promise employees a position/promotion that you don't plan to follow through on.
    Don't tell your staff "We encourage you to use your tuition reimbursement and to further your education because we have a place for you here." Especially when you don't mean it.
    Offer better coverage and lower the cost of the health insurance benefits for your employees...because you are the insurance company, you made a huge profit last year, and you can.

Flexible, but no interest in employment development.

Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am a telecommuter that has been the only benefit in my position. They offer a wealth of employee centered programs.

Cons

I have been in the same position for over 6 years, with no employee development opportunities or employee advancement. I have been very ambitious and express my desires to all my managers which has a high turnover rate.

Promote from within, experience and dedication should carry employee who may lack the education a long way within the company. Allow employee to shadow and explore other facets of the company.

Happy, content and enjoying my work

Current Employee - Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I enjoy environment, respect and flexibility

Cons

Too much orientation to statistics, too fast moving

Understand humans working with humans

UnitedHealth Group Photos