UnitedHealth Group Reviews

• Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area
3.1
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Your job will be what you make of it.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work for the Optum division of UHG and I love my job. I really do. I look forward to going to work, seeing my coworkers and feeling like I'm contributing to a greater good, bettering healthcare for people. They offer generous PTO, we're able to work from home (not all the time but it's pretty flexible), the culture feels fresh and motivated. Leadership with an organization of this size is often hit or miss but I feel like we've got a pretty good thing going. I work for 3 VP's and their teams, it's never boring! I tell my friends, I've never worked with a group of such young, innovative people. It's exciting and you feel like you're a part of something bigger.

Cons

Disappointing raises, 3 months after the cost of health insurance premiums rose, we received our raises for the year... it worked out to bringing home $2 more per pay period than I was making last year. Yay!!

Less focus on Wall Street/Shareholders, More focus on what we're doing for our members; Compensation that equals out to more than what employees brought home the year before.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

5. Sr accountant

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, stock purchase program workout facility. New buildings are very nice. Give time to volunteer.

Cons

Manger was brutal lack of communication. Small raises and year end bonuses are non existent. Very little transparency.

6. Behavior health care advocate

Current Employee - Care Advocate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Care Advocate in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO, CEU reimbursement and paid days for CEUs, great culture, hard working team

Cons

Low salary increases, even for top performers.

Reduce turnover by increasing pay/raises/bonuses.

7. Strong sense of mission, vision and values, but not evenly adopted by all leaders.

Current Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large enough you could have multiple different careers across a lengthy employment.

Cons

Some remainders of the culture that embraced no work life balance and demanded you prioritize work over family.

Embed the values and culture across leadership at all levels.

8. Analyst in HR, good people but lots of layers

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Edina, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

UHG had great pay and offered a lot of benefits. I also enjoyed the amount of vacation time I was given.

Cons

UHG had a lot of layers of management with each one wanting to get their hands dirty. Also, the review system was flawed and only promoted cronyism.

UHG should cut the managerial fat. I found that there were too many people trying to do similar things.

9. 8 yrs of java development

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

United culture, very good ethics followed

Cons

Specific technologies used on to the projects

Not applicable

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

11. UHG has a lot of opportunity if you are smart and work hard.

Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities within the company. I suggest quickly building your network and don't get stuck in one role for too long. Unless you are getting the right opportunities within the existing team, I would suggest moving to a new role every 2 years. Great benefits and the culture is getting much better.

Cons

As you move up the ranks, you will get sucked into corporate politics. Most of the time it is an interesting challenge, but sometimes you can find yourself on the losing end and looking for a new role.

Be flexible in giving internal talent an opportunity, even if they don't fit the job exactly. You'll create a lot more loyalty. I suggest reviewing the granting of stock options and RSUs for GL29 and GL30 employees. By not giving them out regularly, you aren't creating a strong incentive for your young leaders to stay.

UnitedHealth Group Photos