UnitedHealth Group

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

343 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

UHG has a lot of opportunity if you are smart and work hard.

Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities within the company. I suggest quickly building your network and don't get stuck in one role for too long. Unless you are getting the right opportunities within the existing team, I would suggest moving to a new role every 2 years. Great benefits and the culture is getting much better.

Cons

As you move up the ranks, you will get sucked into corporate politics. Most of the time it is an interesting challenge, but sometimes you can find yourself on the losing end and looking for a new role.

Be flexible in giving internal talent an opportunity, even if they don't fit the job exactly. You'll create a lot more loyalty. I suggest reviewing the granting of stock options and RSUs for GL29 and GL30 employees. By not giving them out regularly, you aren't creating a strong incentive for your young leaders to stay.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

Great job at first until it wasn't

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great work/life balance and the salaries are good

Cons

Benefits are not that good especially health insurance. You need to work 12-14 hour days to keep up.

Although employee opinions are often solicited, management does not act on that feedback.

Lots of change on a regular basis

Former Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees really care about their clients and community. Many employees spend their own time helping those in need and volunteering.

Cons

Extremely political within HR. Work/life balance can be difficult to obtain. Personal growth is limited. Most leadership positions are hired externally.

Executive management should do focus groups with those in middle management to understand who is really adhering to the "culture" and who is not.

Sr developer

Former Employee - We Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - We Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Have both Java and Microsoft projects. Using latest technology.

Cons

Takes lot of time and money to freeze the requirement

Very Structured, Metric Driven, overall good place to work.

Current Employee - Human Resource Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resource Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great company, Very nice corporate location. All of the employees are top notch people. The compensation if well above average.

Cons

The Senior management is very cold. Movement within the company is almost impossible unless you know someone. The call centers are very structure and almost robotic. Opportunites will only come if you " Sell your soul". People have great background and great skills but you will easily be passed if someone has 0.01 metric higher than your metrics.

Let the employee have a say on your bonus. Maybe that will help the management care more. Know who your team members are when choosing different projects. Base the criteria of help from previous experience instead of small metrics where very qualified people are passed up.

Lots of moving parts

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly results driven, focus on increasing profits, expanding

Cons

The pros are cons too. Not value driven, most products are not competitive but have huge market share...

Focus on customer and employee value

Great place to work, lots of growth, and a lot of opportunities for advancement

Former Contractor - Staff Accountant in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Contractor - Staff Accountant in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, lots of growth, and a lot of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Not the best for work-life balance. Workloads seem to vary greatly.

UnitedHealth Group Photos