UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Reset
3.1
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

1. Great place to work!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Real world experience Great networking opportunities Relevant projects Laid back atmosphere Friendly and helpful co-workers and supervisors Lots of people who work here stay here :)

Cons

I can't really think of any; there's a lot of independent work, so that could be a pro or a con depending on the type of worker you are.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

5. Sr.ETL QA DWH Tester

Current Employee - Senior ETL QA DWH Tester in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior ETL QA DWH Tester in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

QA Test Plan/Test Cases, Test result, Defect report,Informatica, Data Stage, AbInitio,Business Objects, Cognos

Cons

No Lead experience,No education domain experience

6. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

I love the working environment and everyone is professional and very helpful.

Cons

So far I don't have anything bad to say about the company.

7. Good place to grow

Current Contractor - Producer Help Desk in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Contractor - Producer Help Desk in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are young and not sure what you want to do, this is a good company to grow with. It offers a lot of different types of jobs once you have been there a while.

Cons

Like in any large organization, sometimes the least qualified people end up being promoted. Also the backbiting and gossiping can be hard to put up with.

Advice to Management

Look closely at candidates before promoting them. Sometimes the reason a person is always available to offer to do extra work is because s/he isn't doing his or her own job.

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

Work Environment

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family friendly hours, opportunities for growth

Cons

Lot of hierarchy and "Yes Boss" culture

It's just okay...

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst (QA) in Savage, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst (QA) in Savage, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The corporate and Optum campuses in Minnesota are nice buildings to work out of. They are very clean and have a lot of amenities. They offer work at home opportunities - both part time and full time. My current team is fantastic at understanding when situations happen where you might need to work from home on a non-WFH day. We're only part time WFH (2 days per week) but they give us extra days for bad weather or if something comes up (car trouble, etc). It's a great place to start a career in health insurance.

Cons

Health insurance benefits are awful. Which is sad, because you're working for an insurance company. Lots of younger employees, so some teams have this "high school" clique-y vibe. You're either in with the popular crowd or you're not. I see way too much goofing off happening. There are lots of career opportunities, however, it's very difficult to move up in the ladder. I've been trying for a year and a half now and UHG hardly considers me for anything, even though I have lots of experience and I am not applying for jobs that are way out of my reach. You need to work a whole year in your current position before you can apply out. So if you're not happy at your job, you have to stick it out for a year if you want to stay within UHG.

Advice to Management

Direct supervisors/management need to know their teams better and the systems they handle. I also think the pay could be better, because other insurance companies do seem to pay better for the same types of work.

Optum Insight Review

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Telecommuting Good support Interesting work Great library of products

Cons

Health Insurance is expensive and high deductible Company Hierarchy is very confusing No product training when onboarding

Advice to Management

Better training and onboarding

Showing 397 of 3,137 reviews