UnitedHealth Group

2.9
1,929 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

309 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Everyone was friendly, helpful, and accomodating

Cons

they could have worked on organization and timeliness

Have a clear idea of tasking priorities

"Was given opportunities to grow with big responsibilities"

Current Employee - Product Director  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Product Director in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Being in a large company with many talented people working on transformational projects. There are many opportunities with such a diverse company to progress in your career. Teams of highly skilled people worked together to make things happen.

Cons

It was a challenge to see multiple rounds of lay offs over the years of working there. You work hard on a large project and when it is finished many good people were let go.

Try harder to find jobs within the company rather than lay people off. Culture training was great.

Hard working people who are willing to work the extra hours to succeed.

Former Employee - Sales Operations Director  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Director in Golden Valley, MN

Pros

UHG is a manufacturing company in healthcare disguise. It is a great place to learn finance, product profit margin, and managing cross functional, global teams.

Cons

UHG can be a grinder. Remember, their sales cycle follows that calendar year with little opportunity to make up ground if the LOB misses its January 1 sales goal.

Management is often honest; however, timeliness of business driver need must improve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow your career experiences.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

The different benefits are very nice. Along with medical/dental, you have access to a company 401k and also a company stock purchase program that is very advantageous. The culture here is very good for a very big employer. I see a lot of engagement from employees in so many different areas that it makes this place more than "work".

Cons

Promotions are very stingy here. Leaders hold to these preconceived percentages of people that can be bonused so many people end up falling on the sword and not getting a bonus so at least some others can. It's also hard to move internally without knowing who the hiring manager is. Many people leave here and then come back so they get their true value in pay. Seems like a risky way to lose good talent.
    Also, even though there may be 500 jobs listed for an area or state, the truth is that probably only a quarter of those positions will be filled. Makes your search seem like guesswork when you're wondering if a job you like and applied for is even really going to be filled.

Provide more training and advancement opportunities. If a person is underpaid for their position and peers, for heaven's sake it's ok to go over 5% or even a 10% increase to keep high performing talent.

Liked the big company perks, difficult to move outside department.

Former Employee - Proposal Writer  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Proposal Writer in Golden Valley, MN

Pros

Awesome work life balance. Professional atmosphere - never once met a male employee who showed sexism or could be guilty of harassment (unlike other 'professional' work places I've worked at). Provided innovative and up-to-date tools to get the work done.

Cons

Human Resources is not responsive. Kind of a number in a big sea.

Continue with the work life balance. I continued on in a kinda boring position because the balance made me happier than any other position.

United Healthcare is a place for personal growth

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Minetonka Mls, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Minetonka Mls, MN

Pros

United Healthcare allowed me opportunities to move from one job position to another. I received tons of on the job training. In 12 years I had 4 promotions. The culture being pushed by senior leadership is that you are welcome to explore and take advantage of learning opportunities to get where you want to go. I did it without a 4 year degree.

Cons

Here' the thing...the medical benefits are awful. The lowest deductible is $1,700.00 per member. I don't know what the family deductible is. Dental and vision are okay and no too pricey. Job security can be hit and miss. I was just laid off after 20+ years. While I can be rehired, it is up to me to post for a new job. I know that to be rehired it's not what I know, but who I know. Probably the same for most employers. Also, Sr. Management touts that they won't tolerate harassment in the workplace, but if your manager dislikes you and makes it his or her duty to destroy your work record, there is nothing you can do. They are very pro-manager.

I know some managers will attempt to move employees who's positions will be eliminated to other jobs. I'd recommend making this a standard practice. I would have gladly taken a demotion and pay cut to keep my job. Also, I suggest leadership pay closer attention to Vital Signs...even when a manager has less than 5 direct reports. If they all give their direct manager a failing grade, then there IS something truly wrong which requires immediate action.

cohas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

flexibility to work from home

Cons

very difficult to move up unless you know someone in executive ranks. more red tape than in Federal Gov

learn how to manage human capital

Don't Work in the Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

The best reason to work at UnitedHealth Group is the pay.

Cons

Poor work life balance in the call centers. You have metrics that are hard to meet unless your cutting corners doing your job. Internal employees have a hard time getting internal jobs, a co-worker was told she wasn't offered a second interview for a position because the process for transfer internal employees is to long and that they needed to fill the position fast. They also hire management in the call center that lack poor leadership skills. Senior management makes decision that are out of line with how the customer service department works, for example we can only work 2 hours of overtime per day (management claims they made the change for better work life balance) but some people in the call center work 4 ten hour shifts and then overtime is added to their schedules. So I ask you were is the work life balance for a person that works that shift, you could be working anywhere from 10.5-12 hours a day. Don't get me started on the culture and values, they don't exist in the call center. The company pushes compassion but will give you an occurrence if you miss a day to go volunteer, but other departments can volunteer during there normal shift. Once again call center employees are treated like SECOND CLASS CITIZENS with this company. I would recommend this company to a friend but not a job in the call center. BEWARE!!!!!!

Please revamp your work life balance policy in the call centers, and hire more experienced supervisors in the call center, and make it easier for current employees to transfer internal positions, and PLEASE STOP TREATING THE CALL CENTER EMPLOYEES LIKE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS.

A great place to start a career.

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Good culture in general. A lot to learn (many training /workshop available) and grow. Good benefit and well paid.

Cons

Long hours. Steep learning curve. Very compartmentalized.

UHG is a very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

Work/Life Balance and work-from-home are some pros

Cons

High management turnover rate. Seems to be someone new every couple of years.

Stop re-organizing and finish the course that was setup

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!