UnitedHealth Group

Updated Apr 19, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

257 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work opportunities; but dreadful insurance choices, and good luck getting a raise.

Senior IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs such a large corporation, there are a lot of different areas in which to work. I believe that the greatest factor in your experience will be your manager. Some are terrific, and very supportive of your career (even if it means a loss to their own team). Some are, shall we say, not so great to work with.

But loyalty is rewarded, and you may find yourself following your manager as he or she takes on new responsibilities. If you're more focused on the success of the team than you are on making yourself look good, you'll likely be an outstanding employee and very happy with being there.

There are also a lot of truly brilliant people working for this company. As there are often projects that are broad in scope and not necessarily well-defined, there are many opportunities to shine, especially if you're willing to learn new skill sets.

Work-life balance is encouraged; though again, your manager will be the one who most strongly influences your ability to be successful in this. In many positions, the company offers telecommuting options, which can be very positive as long as you have the personality for it (i.e., can work without supervision and won't be distracted by things at home). As the MN weather can be challenging in Winter, even the non-telecommuting jobs will generally allow employees to work from home when needed.

The paid time off policy is quite generous in comparison with other places where I have worked; depending on your position and length of time with the company, you can get up to 26 days off per year. This includes sick time; but as indicated above, if your job allows you to telecommute, sick time isn't nearly as much of an issue as it would be at most other companies.

ConsFirst: Salary. Have an interview with a manager? Does that manager discuss a salary with you? Do you agree on a reasonable amount? Well, guess what - it doesn't mean a thing. The HR department (known as "Human Capital") has a de facto stranglehold on the amount of your initial salary. Then, as you progress with the company, there are also rules limiting the amount of increases which you can receive at annual reviews (it's based on a percentage of salary). If you change from one position to another at the same grade level, the likelihood is that you will have no increase in pay, even if the new position has a much higher responsibility level. In other words, the people who make the final decision about your pay don't know you - they only know what's on paper. And neither you, nor your manager, nor their manager will ever be able to change anything about that. And it's a *great* shame, because I believe that the compensation overall is fair against the marketplace; but their complete inflexibility means that you will likely be dissatisfied with the experience no matter what you are paid.

Second: Insurance. I have *never* worked for a company with an insurance division (UHC) that offers such poor medical insurance choices to employees. As I speak to friends who work for other companies in the same geographic area, they are shocked to discover the terrible plan design of our health insurance. Not only that, but they only offer three plans; and all three plans are EXACTLY the same, with the exception of the deductible amount and the cost of insurance. I have the best plan available, and I have a $1700 annual deductible for in-network... and *everything* goes toward that deductible, including prescriptions. You can get an HSA, but make sure you have a boatload of cash if you need treatment early in the calendar year. Every year, UHG takes a survey of what is good and bad; and every year, employees complain about the insurance; and every year, corporate says that we should save the amount we aren't paying in insurance premiums so that we can pay our medical bills. They're missing the point; employees are looking for options. We're not idiots, we know that high insurance plans have lower premiums than traditional insurance. We just want to have at least SOME of the same choices that other employers offer.

For me, these two factors (which could be easily addressed) weigh so heavily against the positives that I do not recommend that people seek employment with the company. Why? Because these are over the direct control of the upper-upper management. All of your positive experiences will be at the local level; but where the corporation has the opportunity to prove itself as caring about its employees, it fails. That said, I work here, and I will continue to do so; but I do my very best to disregard our annual survey. Repeating the same requests over and over again with no results leads to nothing but frustration. If you're going to ask your employees what can be improved, you must maintain an open mind and allow for the possibilities that their concerns are valid. If not, don't bother sending out the surveys.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that there be clearer communication between management and Human Capital. It doesn't make any sense that a department which has a specified hiring budget should not be permitted to spend it as it chooses; yet HC appears to rule by executive fiat. It is discouraging to employees to feel limited by an impersonal organization that they will never see; and it is undoubtedly frustrating for managers who want to reward their employees but are unable to do so.

The insurance situation MUST be addressed. The removal of the HRA option in the past year was the icing on the cake. I cannot imagine why a company with its own insurance division cannot provide more three identical medical insurance choices. The only people who work at UHG that I have met who are happy with their insurance are those who are covered under their spouses. Employees of UHG should be in the vanguard of new insurance plans, not eating the scraps that fall from UHC's table.

Okay - Depends on what you like in a job

Worked In Various Positions (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe accounting and finance areas are hard-working and heads down at all levels. The company is run by accountants and the work ethic is exceptionally high. Even if you are upset about the small raises and bonuses given, the company is paying an average rate for the market and everyone is treated about the same. The CEO has an accounting background and is extremely conscientious about stockholder value. As a worker, I put the maximum amount into the employee stock option. I have never been disappointed – great value – because of that, I disagree with remarks about the CEO's pay. I definitely think he is value added to the organization and worth his pay. If you are looking for a place to work hard, and not socialize, this is it.

ConsDifferences in leadership style between finance and technology have created large silos within the company. Optum Technology has hardworking employees, but the “leadership” is a throwback – they make arbitrary rules at the highest level (laid off all workers so many miles away from an office), just sent a large group of executives to India rather than just a few (big party?), brag about the hours they work even though “work” is subjective and they are paid well for their time, and increased bureaucracy and paperwork for projects – basically the “leadership” at this division is a good-old boys club not seen within the finance division or in many companies where agility is needed to stay relevant. For a small group of workers, it is not unusual to have a manager, a senior manager, an associate director, a director, and a number of levels of vice-presidents. Processes are created so that management positions are secure, but it really hampers the agility of the organization and is not value added.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire executives at Optum Technology that value the shareholder as much as the CEO does. It is difficult for conservative, budget-conscious, finance areas to work with the bloated technology bureaucracy and increased project costs from management overhead. Get a leader over that division that has a background in both technology and finance so that they do not just listen to what they are told is needed by the management there, but takes a hard stand and makes the changes needed for streamlining the division. Also, determine which level of management should help with steering the direction of the company. Do you really want the manager levels in meetings all day with associate directors, directors, and vice-presidents? Some levels need to steer day-to-day decision making and some long-term growth, but Optum Technology needs a hard rule because they do not know how to budget for optimal shareholder value.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Solid company, largest player in the market, but lets good people go too often

Vice President (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)
Culture was brutal years ago, but getting much better
New Office Space

ConsI just saw some of the best leaders I work with get laid off, again and again
Typical big-company politics
HR is worst I've experienced at the Fortune 500 level. Should get better with new leader

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building people along with business. HR is currently "not in the room" because they are seen as "not essential" to real decision making
Mobility across the organization is not great, and therefore great leaders get "stuck"

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical large company, only more so

Associate General Counsel (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome very bright, very driven executives. Large stable company. Market leader. Benefits are pretty good overall. Compensation is quite fair.

ConsVery numbers only driven culture, no larger strategic vision. Very cost conscious, constantly firing people to make short terms numbers, even to the long-term detriment of the company. Micro-managing is a requirement, no toleration of appropriate delegation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on a strategic vision and invest in that vision, not just short term cost-control tactics.

Opportunity heaven

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI've got the best manager, director, and VP around! Fantastic work recognition and incredible work experience opportunities.

ConsThe commute and medical benefits are horrible and the hours required are daunting. Cubicles are better described as cubettes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees area losing the battle on the work-life balance.

Atmosphere depends on management culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCan be a great place to grow and advance. Plenty of opportunity to develop and expand skills and ability that is of value to the corporation.

ConsOften is very difficult to move through the ranks into senior management. Seems there is more interest in hiring those who move frequently between companies into the upper levels of management instead of promoting within and retaining the institutional knowledge developed over years of service.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the most valuable employees leave due to the culture of hiring from outside and not considering long term employees that often would serve the company better and with more loyalty.

Great company with lots of opportunity for growth.

: Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy experience was great with this company.

ConsBecause it is a big company there are sometimes difficulty with turn over and change in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share changes with employees.

(Optum) Horrible place to work if you have ideas of your own and can think for yourself!

Marketing Communications Specialist (Former Employee)
Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to work from home (at discretion of manager)

ConsRed tape, upper management's inability to adapt to changing times and market, little direction from leadership, constant change (I had three different managers over the course of one year), and they have little respect for their employees. The stress level is incredible and when things get really bad, management only demands more of the employees. It's really a shame that a company that prides itself on offering programs to better the health and wellness of consumers does so little for the health and wellness of its own employees.

Political nightmare

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery engaging work within a rapidly changing industry. Lots of smart people and interesting projects.

ConsVery hierarchical, yet actionable leadership is lacking especially at the VP level. Politics tend to overshadow sound decision making. Company is currently laying off hundreds across all business segments, including a colleague who was out recovering from surgery.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in leaders who want to lead based upon the opportunity as opposed to those who like to call themselves leaders because they are VPs.

Learning experience, it seems things always change in a heartbeat and go in a different direction.

Senior Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee)
Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsAlways a opportunity to learn new things.

ConsNeed documented procedures so you can reference on how things need to be handled.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 257 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.