UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,253 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poor

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime, vacation time off and flexibilty.

Cons

Company values, disorganization and non-professional.

United Health Group purchased our company and ruined it!

Current Employee - INTAKE NURSE in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - INTAKE NURSE in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home was a plus - no commuter costs. I moved from one state to another and was able to keep the same job and continue to telecommute.

Cons

Working from home also had a negative side. Every minute of your day is monitored. To take a bathroom break, or get a glass of water, you had to log yourself in as being on break. Every minute you were not working was held against you.
    We were allowed to trade time off with another employee, as long as it was an even switch. Once UHG bought the company, this was taken away from us. We were told we had to use PTO for all of our needs, and "put in a ticket" for everything. You even had to put in a ticket to tell the scheduling dept that you wanted to cancel a ticket!
    We were laid off with no warning. Told we needed to call in to a mandatory conference call regarding a"company update". We were told we no longer had a job as a group in that conference call. That was a heartless move.

Treat your professional staff as the professionals they are.

Healthcare is changing

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working remotely, suportive coworkers and leaders

Cons

Communication could be better but they are working to improve it... we grew fast, we sold and healthcare took a hit...

Push through the changes...we need to bounce back

Great entry level job for college student

Current Employee - Appeal Management Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Appeal Management Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

One of the main perks is you get to work from home after trial period of working in office. Benefits are good and management and staff are very friendly. Another benefit is quarterly bonuses.

Cons

Salary is okay for entry level position, but if you are an experience professional in the job industry, this is not for you. Another pitfall is no salary increases and job can be repetitive. Company is in transition and have recently had major cut backs.

None

Initially when privately owned EHR was a wonderful company. After being purchased by a larger company the support left.

Former Employee - Physician Advisor in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Physician Advisor in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home.

Cons

The cons of the position included the monotony of the position, the lack of comradery due to isolation at home, the need to put in many extra hours in order to comply with the productivity demands, the pressure to continually produce, and the lack of positive reinforcement.

Employees should be supported with positive reinforcement. Quality over quantity of work should be emphasized and encouraged.

Started as a great company until UHG takeover

Former Employee - Nurse Letter Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Nurse Letter Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work from home and decent salary. Understanding supervisors to some extent.

Cons

Everything that made EHR great was systematically taken away with UHG buyout. Hours more strict than working in an actual office. No raises. Employees used to matter, now strictly corporate.

Listen to your employees. Many of us worked well beyond our scheduled hours for no pay to ensure strict quantity requirement were met.

"Volume is always first...and remember, you should be grateful you still have a job here, anyway."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package, many nice people still there...for now.

Cons

Emphasis on quantity and speed over quality. Though the company is composed of different departments, it's very difficult to advance within the company, the process is opaque, and it's frequently been noted that if you wish to change departments, you will lose whatever seniority and enhanced salary that you have attained to do so. Internal job postings for physicians within the company are few and far between, most transfers that are made appear to be done without any postings at all, making it questionable that fair opportunities are ever available to the general populace. Recent Medicare regulatory changes blindsided the company despite many months of advance warning, the day the new regulations rolled out on October 1 there were no adjustments made whatsoever in the planned processing of cases resulting in mass confusion, inconsistency, on-the-fly mistakes and backtracking, and moment-to-moment changes and updates that were confusing to employees and clients alike. Also, two rounds of employee layoffs since November have driven employee morale through the floor.

"My way or the highway" approach does not buy employee loyalty. People will only bend so much with ever-evolving demands of working more weekend days, coming back to assist at random times without pay, being monitored incessantly, and having to follow badly-explained protocols and implement poorly-designed new products, only to be told "you should be grateful that you HAVE a job" and then accept a quarterly bonus reduced to 60 percent because the company did poorly. Continual emphasis on volume targets at the expense of all else results in cutting of corners by the workforce. A 50% company-wide reduction in daily cases presented to the company does not sustain an anticipation that the physician workforce will be able to maintain 93% of the individual volume of daily cases that they could achieve prior to the reduction in business, yet this continues to be the productivity expectation, enforced by a diminished case volume evaluation score and a further reduction in bonus if not met. Wake up.

Still a good place to work

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, competitive compensation, fun team events, interesting/challenging work and good benefits with employee stock purchase options. Although things have changed over the past few years at EHR, it is still a good place to work and grow your career.

Cons

Changes to the regulatory environment impacting business volume and restructuring of company.

Continue to communicate with employees, so as we go through changes, we feel confident that our leadership is managing the situation as best as possible.

EHR's President/CEO Parts Ways With Company

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There really are no positive things I can say about the company at this time.

Cons

After several recent rounds of company layoffs (in excess of 200 employees each), EHR is a shell of an organization. The company's President & CEO, Tom Mercer, was also impacted by the restructuring and downsizing and "parted ways" with EHR this week. Those who were a part of the "old" company 4-5 years ago, when employees were valued and treated with respect, have only a distant memory of the better times. With United Health Group's acquisition came a flurry of negative changes and the worker bees were the most effected, while the Director level management continued to fly under the radar, and continued to benefit in stock options, etc.

This company is sinking ship and cannot get out of its own way to adapt to the changing needs of the marketplace, therefore will become obsolete in no time at all.

If you're thinking of working for EHR, I urge you to think again. If you are a hospital or health system looking to partner with EHR, DON'T! Clinicians and support staff work in a sweat shop-like environment where quantity is measure and quality is not. You're way better off giving Accretive Health your business since they have their client's best interest in mind and value their employees.

Update your resumes b/c you will be next to be laid off.

The best job I've ever had to the Worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. Save gas.

Cons

Bad health insurance. No communication from management. No structure. They have a clickish group of prior Maximus employees. We don't know how our individual production numbers are calculated and if they are low we find out after its to late to do anything about it.

Just read a few of these posts. It's good feed back.

UnitedHealth Group Photos