UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,057 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 262 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 141 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 96 reviews)

• No Work/Life Balance (Our department that handles TRICARE works 65 hours a week mandatory) (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty decent job to grow and move around in

Current Employee - Audit Representative Senior in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Audit Representative Senior in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and many opportunities to grow and move up/on in the company. Team and individual oriented within a few departments.

Cons

In my current department, you cannot make up time nor flex your time. In other departments, overtime is not allowed.

Listen and probe questions of your employees. Take action to improve the environment and morale of the working situation.

It was a good place to work as a pharmacist.....not now

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mandatory/voluntary overtime (OT) is a mixed blessing. It can really help, and we all knew about it from the day we were hired, however, mandatory OT can really strain a single family provider.

Cons

The company has NO flexibility or compassion for single family providers....I heard it it face to face, several times from supervisors ..."this job is the number one in your life"....."if you can't manage it,
     then quit, we have x2 colleges of Pharmacy within 45 miles, you can be replaced quickly."

Lay off the micro management and the metrics which provide no useful information as to what Pharmacists do. The metrics are faulty, and you base decisions affecting employees lives on such worthless information....Very sad...we are health care professionals......not insurance agents

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of PTO is good if you are able to get the time you want off. Good stock plan. Good supervisor, and good coworkers.

Cons

Terrible Work-Life balance.
    Leader ship is terrible.
    Lies and more lies.

OptumRx...It's all about the metrics....

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, work from home option for certain positions, good PTO accrual rate after 5 years, on site cafeteria

Cons

The company used to be the employer of choice for pharmacists in the Kansas City area until 3 years ago when new executive management was brought in. Everything and everyone has since been reduced to a number. A manual tracker has to be used to document all work, and even bathroom breaks, etc. Discussions that aren't work related are not allowed on the processing floor at any time, so it's quite draconian. The main computer system is extremely complex and unstable, so there are constant upgrades and workarounds that seem to only make things worse. Pharmacists are expected to verify more and more scripts per hour, and if you don't meet the goals you are put on a corrective action plan, with your job in jeopardy. There is a lot of mandatory overtime here, which makes a work life balance a challenge. In 3 short years, OptumRx has gone from the employer of choice for pharmacists, to the employer of last resort.

Take the annual employee survey seriously and make changes to where OptumRx once again becomes a place people want to work. You have lost a lot of phenomenal employees over the last 2 years and good people continue to leave. There needs to be a greater effort to create a work life balance for employees, or they will continue to seek employment elsewhere.

Horrible Employer

Current Employee - Supervisor in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's very close to my house

Cons

Senior leadership is all over the place. One of my biggest problem is that everything is always based around vital signs. Well senior leadership is not held accountable for them. Sups are marked off for not "selling" the message to the employees. We were told from our manager that our job is to sell that there are great benefits and pay and what a great place it is to work. It's crazy and unfair to lie to your staff!

Bring in all new management. The place it ruined and they have fired all the good senior management or fired leadership if you have an opinion.

Good Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits compared to all other call centers.

Cons

Its know what you know, its who you know.

Unprofessional management of the pharmacy...Pharmacists are viewed as "over paid forklift operators".

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours are good (day shifts) except Jan-March(lots of mandatory OT), but we all knew that going into the job. They pay time and a half for this OT work....great time to make your own bonus, because if you're not in the top 35% you will
    not get either a raise or a bonus.....welcome to the "great unwashed" that make up the lower 65%

Cons

Where to begin?
    1. Employees are viewed and treated as fungible commodities, not valued, respected, and easily replaced... regardless of Optumrx's printed hype to the contrary.
    2. Healthcare insurance benefits are 3rd rate. Three yrs ago I heard the on-site HR dude (OP,KS) actually brag that UHG is a Fortune 50 company that provides benefits, equal to a fortune 250 company, out of 500 companies reviewed...?????
    3. After 6 years of college and earning a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, pharmacists are reviled and resented by management from Optumrx, from CEO (Dirk) down to the facility level. They are irked at what they have to pay us.......The UHG insurance MBA's had to strive for 15-20yrs to make what we do right out of school. Well, I say this to them....A) go back to school, I'll pay for your first semester, B) I will guarantee pharmacists are held in much higher trust and esteem by PATIENTS ( NOT CUSTOMERS) than the MBA insurance bean counters

You own a pharmacy, let those who know best operate it....Pharmacists. And, in the state of Kansas (and every other state),' technicians work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist' Not the other way around.,

Decent job

Current Employee - Inbound Phones Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty decent for the job. you are paid a bit higher for education and experience then just base

Cons

You are just a number to them. Answer the phones, and do it exactly their way, no matter how much business theories contradict their practices. For working for a health insurance company, the benefits are pretty poor.

realize your agents are people. we don't care about potlucks and parties, we need benefits and less stress or more pay

From entry level to management, its been educational, steady, and promising.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, healthy work/life balance, and open door policy make my work days something I look forward to and mainly stress free.

Cons

Stepping stones to move up the corporate ladder aren't the easiest to find and follow - you almost have to create your own path.

Give promising talent more of a chance, even if they are a bit green. Can't cultivate experience if you aren't granted an opportunity to learn and grow.

No room for promotion

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cafeteria, onsite health clinic, gym

Cons

Too many to mention, management, too many rules

Stop the favoritism