UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat pay and good benefits compared to all other call centers.

ConsIts know what you know, its who you know.

Horrible Employer

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsIt's very close to my house

ConsSenior leadership is all over the place. One of my biggest problem is that everything is always based around vital signs. Well senior leadership is not held accountable for them. Sups are marked off for not "selling" the message to the employees. We were told from our manager that our job is to sell that there are great benefits and pay and what a great place it is to work. It's crazy and unfair to lie to your staff!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in all new management. The place it ruined and they have fired all the good senior management or fired leadership if you have an opinion.

Unprofessional management of the pharmacy...Pharmacists are viewed as "over paid forklift operators".

Pharmacist (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsWork hours are good (day shifts) except Jan-March(lots of mandatory OT), but we all knew that going into the job. They pay time and a half for this OT work....great time to make your own bonus, because if you're not in the top 35% you will
    not get either a raise or a bonus.....welcome to the "great unwashed" that make up the lower 65%

ConsWhere to begin?
    1. Employees are viewed and treated as fungible commodities, not valued, respected, and easily replaced... regardless of Optumrx's printed hype to the contrary.
    2. Healthcare insurance benefits are 3rd rate. Three yrs ago I heard the on-site HR dude (OP,KS) actually brag that UHG is a Fortune 50 company that provides benefits, equal to a fortune 250 company, out of 500 companies reviewed...?????
    3. After 6 years of college and earning a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, pharmacists are reviled and resented by management from Optumrx, from CEO (Dirk) down to the facility level. They are irked at what they have to pay us.......The UHG insurance MBA's had to strive for 15-20yrs to make what we do right out of school. Well, I say this to them....A) go back to school, I'll pay for your first semester, B) I will guarantee pharmacists are held in much higher trust and esteem by PATIENTS ( NOT CUSTOMERS) than the MBA insurance bean counters

Advice to Senior ManagementYou own a pharmacy, let those who know best operate it....Pharmacists. And, in the state of Kansas (and every other state),' technicians work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist' Not the other way around.,

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent job

Inbound Phones Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe pay is pretty decent for the job. you are paid a bit higher for education and experience then just base

ConsYou are just a number to them. Answer the phones, and do it exactly their way, no matter how much business theories contradict their practices. For working for a health insurance company, the benefits are pretty poor.

Advice to Senior Managementrealize your agents are people. we don't care about potlucks and parties, we need benefits and less stress or more pay

From entry level to management, its been educational, steady, and promising.

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat leadership, healthy work/life balance, and open door policy make my work days something I look forward to and mainly stress free.

ConsStepping stones to move up the corporate ladder aren't the easiest to find and follow - you almost have to create your own path.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive promising talent more of a chance, even if they are a bit green. Can't cultivate experience if you aren't granted an opportunity to learn and grow.

Great Potential Never Realized

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe executives really do care about what they do.

ConsIt seems everyone who is not an executive with the exception for a select few don't care about what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've watched so many unqualified people surpass the qualified in the years I've been around here that I have 0 hopes for advancing. I spend all my time fixing others mistakes so that the customers have a chance to feel like they are paying for something worthwhile that I always get overlooked for promotion, yet even though my numbers aren't great and I should have been let go by now I am kept on because I do everyone's work. It's an environment of slave drivers in the perspective of the good employee. There is much more that is off but this being fixed will solve all the other problems.

No room for promotion

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsCafeteria, onsite health clinic, gym

ConsToo many to mention, management, too many rules

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism

This was not the best work environment in the world.

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsIf you like to be micromanaged, this is the job for you.

ConsTraining is horrible and trainers don't seem to care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining materials readily available. Sit in on training classes to see how they are taught.

Terminated and denied disability

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsExcellent benefit package. Good environment for upward mobility.

ConsKnee jerk reaction to employee complaints. Unprofessional disability "qualification" standards. (information gathering responsibility is placed upon the ill employee with no employee advocate provided). Too much emphasis was placed on "hitting the target" at the cost of "genuine" interaction with the customers/patients. Profit sharing was totally imbalanced. Delaying or denying claim payments to providers and patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate before assigning corrective action plans. Be a healthcare company that cares for the ill employee. Value relationships as well as performance metrics. Training should promote understanding not merely robotic mimicking. Senior management should be more generous with overall company profit sharing instead of taking the "lion's share" in millions of dollars in stock options and letting the people in the trenches divide the pittance of left-overs. Please pay your claim debts in a timely manner.

It's been a roller coaster ride.

Pharmacy Clerk (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsCompetitive pay, and good benefits.

ConsSometimes too much change (i.e. getting told you're switching job positions in 1 week)

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Overland Park, KS — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.