UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jun 27, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights
23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad place to work

Medical Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe best part was how easy it was to move up the ladder a bit at first. Also, being able to work from home was nice.

ConsThe pay and the benefits package did not seem very good. When it costs over $600 to insure a family of 4, just in premiums, that is a little excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope that the benefits package and compensation have improved.

Working at United Healthcare is very much like I would imagine assembly line work.

RN Case Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe stability of the company is a plus, wages are good, the telecommuting is a very big plus. The staff are great to work with and most of the managers are there to help you.

ConsUpper management is not real open to ideas. There is disconnect between the company values and the reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider sitting with staff to understand what their job is or as a reminder if it is something you have done in the past. This will allow focus to be placed on what could benefit work flow and increase productivity. And stop selling the business concept to nurses we will never put business before caring for people.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI don’t have any too many great things to say about UHG, my opinion being the largest health care Company. I think they should find better ways to look after their employees and Insured, because that’s who helps this company. : (

ConsEspecially for APIPA, AZ unorganized their CS dept. wheel snack carts all day long and manager is playing either his floor golf or WII with his favorite Supervisors and CS agents. While calls are backed up, claims don’t get paid due to most agents are not well train or don’t have enough time. Calls are transfer because they don’t know who can answer the customer’s questions currently? Sorry but that’s the true.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can never say anything bad about Management or Supervisors but they have their favorites and they already know who is going to get the next position that opens up. And if you know how to kiss those feet or lower yourself, it’s all yours. That’s how the world turns, in most cases. Not always some of us have to work very hard to get there, it just a few more years. : ) Love my life. Health insurance deductible is very high outrages for their employees. For School they can"t start paying for your school until after 1 yr. of service, ect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claims Specialist

Claims Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat flexibility for working parents.

ConsHave nothing bad to say about this company, great workplace.

Decent company to work for

medical claims adjustor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood chance for advancement. Wage was comparable to similar positions in the area.

ConsCost of insurance was higher for employees than most other insurance companies and the coverage was worse.

Behavioral Healthcare Manager

Healthcare Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEstablished company
    Good pay
    Good benefits
    Opportunities for advancement
    Opportunity to learn about the insurance business and to hone your skills
    Some good mentors

ConsWorking in cubicles
    Overtime
    This is a start up program, and morale is pretty low. Things change on a daily basis, little training for your position.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate offices for positions which require some privacy

Worst company I ever worked for

Prior Authorization Coordinator (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Pros- Adequate Pay
    - (I have no other pros but Glassdoor requires at least 5 words)

Cons- No Work/Life Balance (Our department that handles TRICARE works 65 hours a week mandatory)
    - Horrendous Management - They put out fires every day and offer no real solution to a problem, they just re-visit it once it explodes again
    - Lack of any real management - Our "Director" doesn't know how to use Excel or Word...

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the TRICARE contract, you are ruining your reputation and the lives of our service members.

Horrible people, horrible, company and horrible benefits.

Health Coach RN (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGot the inside look at a big insurance and the mess that it is. Had a gym in side the complex with showers. A cafeteria with okay food.

ConsMy boss was a young egotistical and controlling little you know who. She had absolutely no leadership skills and no technical skills. This company has the worst benefits and worst pay out of any for-profit insurance company. Everything was micromanaged and you felt as though you were in boot camp every single day regardless of whether you were working from home or at the office. The time you took breaks and lunches was closely monitored and you better hope you don't get up to use the bathroom, because they would ask where you were. It was very depressing working there and seeing the gross perversion that is the for-profit insurance industry in this country. Team moral was always low and managers used employees to spy on their team mates.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not curing cancer so drop the large egos.

Boring, not enough pay, and the people are jerks

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe cafeteria, gym and ability to see a nurse while at work if you are ill

ConsThe job itself is very boring. I got very ansy sitting there. they micro-manage your time. Everyone in the claims department are jerks. No work/life balance as you are constantly on mandatory overtime. They don't want anyone to work after 6pm but for some of us those hours would be better. The benefits were terrible. They say they want you to be accurate...but they care more about how fast you are processing. I was extremely accurate but because it was hard for me to sit there I was never above the threshold. Not in the range to get fired but not in the range to learn anything new either. I was told in training I was going to be one of the best processors out there but on the floor I was treated like dirt. My sup was a jerk but he did let me get away with being late a lot so I don't have too many complaints about him in particular. Other than the fact that he favored the weirdest people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore activites for employees to get to know each other, sups and smes should be nicer to the newbies. Shane and Bill were outstanding though.

Adequate compensation but very little feeling of accomplishment

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompensation; Company recognition when looking for another job; Experience; Witnessing why insurance premiums continue to increase;

ConsHealth benefits; Internal politics; Highly inefficient systems; Lack of healthy lifestyle culture; Not merit-based; Few opportunities for advancement; Constant outsourcing eroding corporate culture;

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to recognize that continuing down this myopic management style/culture will eventually allow competitors to seize advantage, thereby in the long term will lose market share.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!