UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,025 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

2,946 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

5. Working for OptumRx

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture, opportunities for growth. Salaries tend to be slightly higher than industry average

Cons

Please don't confuse the interview process with the role. The pre recorded interviews are an uncomfortable process

Advice to Management

I wish there better defined career development tools and resources at our disposal. A mentorship program would also be a great to learn more about other aspects of the business

Profits Before People

Former Employee - Executive Clinical Director in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Executive Clinical Director in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits, mostly.

Cons

Unflinching pursuit of efficiencies and profits at the expense of both employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customers you serve and on leveraging the potential of your employees. Customers will tolerate lies only so long.

7. It's a job

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Room to grow within the company

Cons

Highly standardized processes limit opportunities for innovation

Not bad

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Benefits, good training, flexible, work at home opportunities, room for growth

Cons

Micromanaging, managers who aren't experienced

Associate Director, Operational Initiatives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Companies pays well.
    Great work to life balance.
    Extensive financial resources to use on projects that have strategic value to the bottom line.

Cons

100% bottom line focus.
    Little career growth opportunities.
    Corporate culture is a zero sum game. Executives use the terms "land grab" and "territory" which is not good for overall outlook on growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Change the turf wars culture and allow people to grow across the company without political ramifications.

10. Decent group, boring projects

Former Employee - Bio Statistician in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Bio Statistician in Irvine, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Undemanding work hours, easy deadlines, amiable group members. If interesting work is not a priority, and stability is prized instead, this may actually be a pretty good gig.

Cons

There was a lot of politics during my tenure. Turnover was very high, and the pay was sort of low. The automation in place for the analytics team was meager, and a lot of analysis was done manually. There was resistance towards making things more automated, but that might've just been short-staffing on the part of the team.

Advice to Management

Increasing pay would go a long way towards acquiring and retaining great talent. It always seemed like the really good people were leaving. Probably because they had found similar work at much higher pay.

11. This position is good for those without any commitments outside of work

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The salary is competitive
    The company offers a nice benefits package
    The workspace is aesthetically pleasing
    This position is perfect for those that do not mind the work/life balance to swing in favor of work.

Cons

The description of the position states that they rarely demand overtime however after the first month in they were sending out emails requesting mandatory overtime and have been doing so each week after.
    In the interview process they specifically stated mandatory overtime doesn't start until the end of the year.
    They are very strict on attendance no matter if an employees personal performance is outstanding. Every tardy, absence, despite the reason can eventually lead to the employee being terminated.

Showing 2,946 of 3,018 reviews