UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2425 reviews filtered by
2,425 Reviews
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Your job will be what you make of it.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work for the Optum division of UHG and I love my job. I really do. I look forward to going to work, seeing my coworkers and feeling like I'm contributing to a greater good, bettering healthcare for people. They offer generous PTO, we're able to work from home (not all the time but it's pretty flexible), the culture feels fresh and motivated. Leadership with an organization of this size is often hit or miss but I feel like we've got a pretty good thing going. I work for 3 VP's and their teams, it's never boring! I tell my friends, I've never worked with a group of such young, innovative people. It's exciting and you feel like you're a part of something bigger.

Cons

Disappointing raises, 3 months after the cost of health insurance premiums rose, we received our raises for the year... it worked out to bringing home $2 more per pay period than I was making last year. Yay!!

Less focus on Wall Street/Shareholders, More focus on what we're doing for our members; Compensation that equals out to more than what employees brought home the year before.

5. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive salary, stock options, spot bonus for work over and above, 4.5% matching 401K,. I was a telecommuter ; provided all office needs. Forward thinking company

Cons

Unless you reside in Minnesota Little chance for advancement. Different business sectors work in silohs verry little collaboration between sectors. As exempt employee you are at will employee

Coordinate communication between sectors in regions for beeter marketing f all programs and products

Top-down management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The huge pro is that the company has so many work-at-home employees. It's easy to overlook a lot of problems when there is no commute required. The people at United for the most part are good people, just wanting to do their jobs to the best of their ability and to take care of the members. Most of the people genuinely have their hearts in the right place. There are opportunities within the company, simply because it's so huge.

Cons

The company has changed so much in the last 5 years. It has gone to a much more top-down management style. The movement to nationalize every process has disrupted what was a smoothly running process and has created so much uncertainty and insecurity among the staff. The company has adopted an increasingly impersonal and unapproachable management style, going through meaningless displays of "communication" with employees, when everyone knows that to speak up is to be the next target. Yes, they want employee input--as long as that input is agreement with whatever already has been decided by upper management. Those who are ambitions can go far with UHG, but often promotions appear to be based on ability and willingness to play the game rather than on knowledge and ability.

You employ many highly educated and dedicated people, many of whom have good ideas about what will and will not work in local markets, but the current management approach squelches those ideas. Treat employees with respect; that currently is lacking. And don't think for a minute that we can't all see right through those smoke screens you present.

7. Inspiring and supportive

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Very supporting and encouraging environment!

Cons

I personally cannot think of any cons to working here. It was a great telecommute environment.

8. Sr accountant

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, stock purchase program workout facility. New buildings are very nice. Give time to volunteer.

Cons

Manger was brutal lack of communication. Small raises and year end bonuses are non existent. Very little transparency.

Neutral at best

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Nice facility. That's about all I can say.

Cons

Didn't feel like there was any opportunity for growth what-so-ever. Before being hired, they established a bond with the "starters" and anyone else hired after that was basically excluded.

Working environments should be a team

Great organization however management needs a major overhaul.

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in New York, NY

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are very community-centric and offer a wonderful opportunity to grow and lead. The company has a very flexible work structure and you can work independently to achieve company goals and objectives.

Cons

Management needs a major overhaul. The organization does not provide adequate employee training and experiences. The systems are products are very much mis-aligned and you may not even know the person sitting across from you.

Provide a growth plan for employees and better teamwork and collaboration, ownership responsibilities over project leads and a holistic work environment.

11. They really take care of their employees.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Benefits
    Headquarters in MN is very impressive
    People stay at the company for a long time

Cons

Be prepared to work a lot
    Long hours

Make sure your support team is being taken care of, too

UnitedHealth Group Photos