UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 29, 2014

2.8 1,778 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights
1,778 Employee Reviews

An enormous Corporation with all the good and bad that you would expect.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of possible career paths with UnitedHealth Group, something for everyone. You will find a great pool of experienced and professional leaders within every section of the company. The office settings tend to be easygoing but very busy. If you are interested in a leadership role be prepared to take on multiple projects with high quality demands, after all they are successful for a reason.

ConsCompensation is very poor especially when you look at the revenue that UHG generates. Oddly enough for a leader in the Health Insurance world the health coverage that they offer is very poor with huge deductibles especially for anyone in a leadership role. While the company "drinks its own cool-aid" and talks about it's new culture all of the time, it often feels like a white wash to cover over the ugly parts. Recently they have "off shored" a lot of positions that have resulted in lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truly is no replacement for a good paycheck. Your company has grown, the stock is up and shareholders are happy but you need to open the purse a bit and give back to your employees.

UnitedHealth Group

Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsUnitedHealth Group is a great place to work. Management really cares about helping it's employees to succeed and excel. The benefits are great, training is constant,

ConsPolicies and procedures change sometimes on a daily basis.

Good entry level job fresh out of college

ProsBenefits, paid time off. 3 weeks vacation starting off; never have I been employed at an establishment that offers such great vacation time.

ConsUpward mobility; there doesn't seem to be any positions i can advance to within my department. If I want a higher salary I will have to move to another area of the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow your career experiences.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsThe different benefits are very nice. Along with medical/dental, you have access to a company 401k and also a company stock purchase program that is very advantageous. The culture here is very good for a very big employer. I see a lot of engagement from employees in so many different areas that it makes this place more than "work".

ConsPromotions are very stingy here. Leaders hold to these preconceived percentages of people that can be bonused so many people end up falling on the sword and not getting a bonus so at least some others can. It's also hard to move internally without knowing who the hiring manager is. Many people leave here and then come back so they get their true value in pay. Seems like a risky way to lose good talent.
    Also, even though there may be 500 jobs listed for an area or state, the truth is that probably only a quarter of those positions will be filled. Makes your search seem like guesswork when you're wondering if a job you like and applied for is even really going to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and advancement opportunities. If a person is underpaid for their position and peers, for heaven's sake it's ok to go over 5% or even a 10% increase to keep high performing talent.

Great place to work.

Health Advisor (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsIndependent work environment, great pay and benefits.

ConsMicro management, turnover rate in customer service.

Liked the big company perks, difficult to move outside department.

Proposal Writer (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsAwesome work life balance. Professional atmosphere - never once met a male employee who showed sexism or could be guilty of harassment (unlike other 'professional' work places I've worked at). Provided innovative and up-to-date tools to get the work done.

ConsHuman Resources is not responsive. Kind of a number in a big sea.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the work life balance. I continued on in a kinda boring position because the balance made me happier than any other position.

Deadend job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExcellent benefits and premium cost.

ConsA lot of duties but not enough pay. Expectations are hard to meet for some people.

Different culture

ProsGood people to work with

ConsMeeting to have meeting are a waste of time

Advice to Senior ManagementMore directions to your line managers

UHG is a very good company to work for.

Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsWork/Life Balance and work-from-home are some pros

ConsHigh management turnover rate. Seems to be someone new every couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop re-organizing and finish the course that was setup

This is the BEST company to work for! Great people, wonderful benefits, and insurance starts right away.

Senior Recovery Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsBenefits start right away, ample PTO time which also starts upon hire, discount for employee's, opportunity to grow, and the company includes all levels of employee's to let everyone know what is going on within the company. The pay is also excellent! Discounts include cell phone, travel, auto insurance, college, rental car, and many others. I have seen first hand at the opportunity to grow within the company in my short time there. The technology used within the company is top notch.

ConsA lot of changes, but with that said all companies change. Most of the time it is best for the company and helps the company to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management I deal with are great!

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!