UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,247 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Everything changed this year.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Work from home, as a nurse it's the only day job that pays a living wage in my area.

Cons

OptumHealth (under the UHC umbrella) has always been notorious for micromanagement and it only gets tighter and tighter. Change is so frequent that you can't believe anything an"hone says because it will all change again next week (I only WISH I were exaggerating). Job processes change constantly and without warning, so there is no opportunity to master anything anymore. In such an environment, Experience becomes a liability rather than an asset.

Ease up. Give your nurses room to be nurses. Exercise some common sense. Bring back the nursing process, which is by its very nature "member-centric". Pulling us away from that to have us respond knee-jerk to data that is already obsolete by the time it clogs up our member files - repeatedly - is shooting you in the foot and killing our members' confidence in the program. We have a contract to uphold - you have nurses on board for a reason - let us give you what we are trained to do.

A Top Notch Company to work for

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my 14 years of employment with UnitedHealth Group. The company does have very stringent standards and requires hard work and dedication to your job. They do reward you with above average compensation and benefits.

Cons

Work hours can be long and draining, but overtime is offered on a voluntary basis at times throughout the year and not always mandatory except during peak periods.

Making OT available on a voluntary basis throughout the year to avoid employee burnout.

Great experience with this company!

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

This is a great place to work! Benefits, pay is decent ROOM FOR GROWTH and just a positive enviroment Which brings a great peace of mind while at work!!!

Cons

No Cons......YET. lol Everyone gets along great here.

Results driven

Current Employee - Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The abilities to branch out within same corporate umbrella . The stock purchase , 401 K, competitive wages

Cons

The bureaucracy, being innovative is a good headliner but not much practice. Cooperate environment when subdinates quickly learn not to "question the way things have always been done " poor work life balance , stretching human capital, along with shortcuts to make the bottom line may back fire

Take some time to pay attention to what your employees write about in vital signs....they want to be successful but lack the support .

RN Case Manager

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Flexibility, great team, salary is excellent

Cons

Consider better training and orientation for telecommuting employees

Legal Administrator

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great position for personal and professionial growth

Cons

I can't think of any negative aspects of being a military legal administrator

Reviews for UHG from 2012-present become obsolete quickly. Here's why.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sweeping changes improvements left and right, empowerment/education opportunities to those who seek them.

Cons

Not without their fair share of silly managers out of their depth as well as inefficiencies that would frustrate even the most patient of employees.

Just as it takes a very wise employee to cope with the rigors of sweeping changes day in and day out, your judgment on the performance of each employee must be equally wise. You have a difficult task which is easier said than done, I understand, I get it. But you can do it! just remember your job is to ensure everyone you supervise can do theirs easier.

Commited to the company, turns out it didn't really matter. If you can find a sweet-spot, hold on to it.

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Complete your metrics and you'll be good to go! Usually monitored by a supervisor in another state that you'll never meet. If you aren't in upper management, keep your head down and ideas to yourself, they already have their plans in place so save your energy.

Cons

Upper level management changes constantly and getting laid off by a newbie that really has no idea what you do is painful. But at the same time, you can then get a job where you feel like you matter.

Lay off the Vital Signs. When the executive on the phone accidently let's it slip that it doesn't matter what you put on the survey - just that you complete it - the cat is out of the bag.

My experience with this company was mediocore.

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The best asset of this company is the work environment

Cons

poor training, high deductibles for employee insurance, compensation is not equal to the work expected

being a fortune 500 company the training program and current technology used can be updated

UnitedHealth Group Photos