UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.8 1,809 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some(in 230 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees(in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less(in 78 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance(in 77 reviews)

1,809 Employee Reviews

An enormous Corporation with all the good and bad that you would expect.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of possible career paths with UnitedHealth Group, something for everyone. You will find a great pool of experienced and professional leaders within every section of the company. The office settings tend to be easygoing but very busy. If you are interested in a leadership role be prepared to take on multiple projects with high quality demands, after all they are successful for a reason.

ConsCompensation is very poor especially when you look at the revenue that UHG generates. Oddly enough for a leader in the Health Insurance world the health coverage that they offer is very poor with huge deductibles especially for anyone in a leadership role. While the company "drinks its own cool-aid" and talks about it's new culture all of the time, it often feels like a white wash to cover over the ugly parts. Recently they have "off shored" a lot of positions that have resulted in lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truly is no replacement for a good paycheck. Your company has grown, the stock is up and shareholders are happy but you need to open the purse a bit and give back to your employees.

UnitedHealth Group

Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsUnitedHealth Group is a great place to work. Management really cares about helping it's employees to succeed and excel. The benefits are great, training is constant,

ConsPolicies and procedures change sometimes on a daily basis.

This is the BEST company to work for! Great people, wonderful benefits, and insurance starts right away.

Senior Recovery Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsBenefits start right away, ample PTO time which also starts upon hire, discount for employee's, opportunity to grow, and the company includes all levels of employee's to let everyone know what is going on within the company. The pay is also excellent! Discounts include cell phone, travel, auto insurance, college, rental car, and many others. I have seen first hand at the opportunity to grow within the company in my short time there. The technology used within the company is top notch.

ConsA lot of changes, but with that said all companies change. Most of the time it is best for the company and helps the company to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management I deal with are great!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty decent job to grow and move around in

Audit Representative Senior (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat benefits and many opportunities to grow and move up/on in the company. Team and individual oriented within a few departments.

ConsIn my current department, you cannot make up time nor flex your time. In other departments, overtime is not allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and probe questions of your employees. Take action to improve the environment and morale of the working situation.

Potential, but short term outlook shadows long term

Network Account Manager (Current Employee) Elkridge, MD

ProsLots of ways to show your talents to management, promotions occur

ConsLots of work, fit for the future is essentially trying to do more with less, computer systems are very out of date

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove middle management, work from the bottom up. This company relies on the bottom to make it work, the top needs to simply guide those.

Pros & Cons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an employee you will be well paid but you must expect to work hard. Co-workers seem to build a supportive community.

ConsThere is no work-life balance. Plan on showing up early and staying late. Managers will lead by example of working until all hours of the night. Also, Sr. Management constantly reminds employees that if the company doesn't make their numbers on Wall St. , that layoffs will be necessary.

Individual Sales Rep, Medicare NJ

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Management team, base salary and benefits, flexible life balance during the slow season

ConsMore ideal year round for a bilingual candidate which I am not. My territory was moved due to where I reside, not due to my success in the area I was working. The company does not generate leads for inhouse reps anymore. The most successful reps get leads from other companies or buy leads lists

Fast Paced company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of challenges and opportunities in this fast paced company. Company is working to unify its culture. People are great to work with and many standards/processes are well defined.

ConsMany changes in healthcare due to government regulations. This sometime causes long hours and changing deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead in Healthcare Innovation. Continue to work on unifying the culture.

Roll with it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is plenty of opportunity to pursue.
    Flexible hours and work locations.
    The pay and benefits is fair, and can be good if you deliver; but its still up to you to play-the-game to get the most for your work.

ConsIf you have specific career goals, formed without consideration and an accurate view of the organization and opportunities, you will be frustrated. There are cliques (and their corresponding realms of control) that are virtually impenetrable. This is a HUGE, highly political organization. There is a great deal of movement in terms of people, organizational structure, and responsibility; this is a source of much of the "Pros" opportunity I mentioned above. On the flip side there are opportunities that exist, and could be yours to be the next to fail at. There are plenty of politically connected leaders who are willing to let you try and succeed on the next run at a goal. If you succeed, they win (and maybe even you win); and if you fail (or even succeed with too much disruption), that's all on you... for your limited time in that position. The point here is there are leaders with responsibility that have no idea how to deliver on that responsibility, and then there are many, at the next lower level who try and drive toward their (often times misguided) vision of a solution in a chaos of conflicting activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, you are doing a great job at trying to change and drive toward a well defined, healthy corporate culture; but recognize and cull those leaders who put too much value in the "relationships" corporate value. Specifically those who only value and foster relationships with those who would protect others within their clique.

Good place... starting to change

Senior Web Developer Full Stack (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

Consterrible equipment
    new business rules
    The man
    not integrated yet into UHG
    no cubicles/no space to work.
    internet extremely slow
    no longer can work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementMore indians

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!