UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,085 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

3,072 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

Make sure your follow the company policies!

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Company is good to work for if you want to put in lots and lots of hours. They promote within and they find programs for you to work on if one ends.

Cons

Too many HR issues. Your a number, No one is accountable for the work they do not complete so you have to wait forever to get anything done. Training needs to be better. Must follow all policies to a tee. That is not bad, but they try to find something wrong

Advice to Management

Your trainers need to be more qualified and you have to treat your employees with respect. Do not talk about them behind their backs. Work with employees not against them

6. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It depends on who you work for. I work for a variety of business groups and I can see if their employees will be happy or not. I had a great experience with my direct manager, who was very supportive, helpful and nice to me.

Cons

Limited opportunity for continuous development. I didn't see myself getting a chance to be promoted even though from my upper management's sight, I have been doing a great job.

Advice to Management

Some projects are really troublesome and we should simplify a lot of processes.

Neutral

Former Employee - Provider Data Specialist
    Former Employee - Provider Data Specialist

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

UnitedHealth Group have a lot of employee growth potential. They offer many self training courses.

Cons

Each time they restructure you may change managers several times for the same position. Depending on the team there is no training you must already know what you are doing or rely on the team that has been in the department the longest to know the culture. The Medical insurance is consumer driven, no copay, you have a very high deductible.

Advice to Management

New team managers understand that just because you are on the team that does not mean you know the culture of the team. You have to take time to know and understand the individual and maybe when they tell you they do not know it is not an excuse, they really do not know and its time for some in depth training.

8. Claims

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Working from home was definitely the best part about the job.

Cons

Lack of continuing education when requested. No support from managers/team leads.

9. Service representative

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great opportunities, flexible time and benefits

Cons

Our insurance coverage should be better on deductible and coinsurance

Advice to Management

Keep working on communication

Solutions Consultant

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Some very smart talent working across the globe. People truly do want to help others live healthier lives. Lots of compassion and concern given to work life balance

Cons

Very stressful. Pay raises for internal employees are awful even for promotions. If you move up in the company expect to make much less than your peers hired into your salary band.

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start a lifelong career, always opportunities for advancement

Cons

Benefits could be much better, pay could be better, should be able to use pto like you want

Advice to Management

Revise pto policy (you can't plan everything 2 weeks ahead of time), change/eliminate the attendance system or have it roll off sooner

Showing 3,072 of 3,121 reviews