UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Reset
2,534 Reviews
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

2,534 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

Your standard corporate cubicle job

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, work from home, nice people, pretty decent culture, very very nice facilities

Cons

They still use Sharepoint with all the MS Office blah blah. That tells you everything right there. It's a big corporation that has poor project management and software development process (think waterfall), way too many meetings, cubicle farm, etc etc.

6. Product Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work! I really enjoyed all of the people and all of the challenges, and all of the benefits!

Cons

limited job growth - but it was self inflicted! I decided to work on a special assignment that was only for a 2-year stint.

Advice to Management

Overall, management does a great job, but managers can be a little more flexible with work life balance.

Large Company--many moving pieces

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Possible career advancement, but the organizational structure is quite complex.

Cons

High deductible health insurance costs employees much more for premiums and out of pocket expenses. Employees are paying much more out of pocket than a traditional HMO/PPO plan. The average office visit is $150 out of pocket versus a $40 copay. Prescription costs are literally 5x higher than a regular prescription plans linked to PPO. UHG is extremely profitable by nickel and diming it's employees with these less than popular high deductible health plans.

Advice to Management

Allow members to elect a traditional PPO plan with a reasonable copay and ability to visit specialists without a primary care referral just like the ones you sell to external employer groups and health plans.

8. Sales Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company! Great Culture! Awesome people!

Cons

Pay is not competitive for industry. It's hard to retain the best.

Advice to Management

Loved my management team!

OK, but lots of room for improvement

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer a lot of flexibility in scheduling your workday. No one bats an eye if you leave for awhile to pick up your kid from school or run to a doctor's appointment. Generous amounts of PTO.

Cons

Salary inequity. Social workers with master's degrees and 10, 15, 20 years experience are being paid significantly less money to do the exact same job as nurses with a fraction of the education and experience. Men are paid more than women. Supervisors and management have, for the most part, all been promoted to their level of incompetence.

Advice to Management

Start treating your front-line employees better. Telling them that this extremely large and extremely profitable company can't afford raises or bonuses is offensive. Listen when your employees talk about the problems they're having with supervisors and management. Be supportive.

Decent company

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex time is the best part of the company. Set your own hours and no punching in or out...if you work hard, you have flexibility of building your personal life around your work.

Stock purchase plan is a great benefit plus PTO package is pretty decent.

Cons

Very corporate / depending upon the dept, some places have solid interpersonal relationships but overall, the company has a very strong culture of work, work, work...not that I'm here to socialize but it's nice to not feel like the place you work at is warm and friendly. Anyway, UNH spreads their employees very thin since they operate efficiently at an FTE level...you will be so busy you won't have much time to make friendships.

Advice to Management

Nothing really. Mgt cannot change culture through culture initiatives because we are a corporation first, beholden to the shareholders. I do think some culture initiatives can improve things moderately, but overall the culture is what it is.

11. Customer Care Professional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay. Great coworkers and management.

Cons

May be called in on a holiday when you're scheduled to be off. Customers are always rude. Unexpected pace for the amount of information they throw at you in the three months they give you to learn it.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

Showing 2,534 of 2,597 reviews