UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,127 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

3,189 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Very heads-down

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Excellent company and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many talented and collaborative people. Huge variety of career opportunities along with a willingness among leadership to promote from within.

Cons

The vast size of the company sometimes makes it difficult to find the right contact and builds a layer of complexity that slightly hinders your ability to get things accomplished.

Boots on the ground tech

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company highly values ethics and integrity, company strives to stay current with technology (see cons), generous PTO, many levels and layers of support for various needs of assistance from manager to HR to compliance hotline (to report violations), very willing to accommodate family needs, perfectly willing to spend a boatload of money non-standard computers (developer laptops, tablets, etc) IF a valid business need can be demonstrated.

Cons

High deductibles for health insurance, management tries too hard to do more with less, company is so large that it is eternally behind in technology, policy over results, obnoxiously insane computer security measures, tough to advance without time off for outside training for a completely different role unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time (because we have NO time to waste on career advancement training during the workday), too much emphasis on diversity/social responsibility.

Advice to Management

The company is extremely profitable thanks to Obamacare. Hire some more tech workers for crying out loud!

7. licensed health insurance agent / sales and service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

incentive pay option of telecommuting most callers are kind and appreciate someone who can help them properly plenty of overtime offered (esp during Medicare open enrollment)

Cons

call times are monitored most callers are senior citizens who are hard of hearing and confused some shifts are not favorable hours

8. Claims representative associate salary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company much teamwork involved. Pay rate reasonable and good benefits available paid time off

Cons

Medical benefits have high deductible hard to schedule time off

Advice to Management

Hire more personnel, encourage refreshers and better training

9. Nurse Case Manager

Former Employee - Clinical Disease Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clinical Disease Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great orientation with extensive training; clear expectations, great co-workers

Cons

Micromanagement; evaluation system based on member contacts favored quantitative over qualitative.

10. Implementation Manager

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

flexible hours, benefits, paid vacation

Cons

long hours, busy during holidays

Advice to Management

Strive to keep valuable employees

11. Excellent Company to Work For

Current Employee - Database Developer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Miami, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great team members, all very qualified Immediate manager has all the qualities of an exceptional leader Benefit package competitive with other big companies Many internal opportunities available Flexible schedule Telecommuting

Cons

None that come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Showing 3,189 of 3,267 reviews