UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,332 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Rn case management, RUN!

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, work at home, dental, vision

Cons

Benefits high deductible, favorites move up the ladder, no input

Listen to vital signs, stop making same mistakes

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Top-down management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The huge pro is that the company has so many work-at-home employees. It's easy to overlook a lot of problems when there is no commute required. The people at United for the most part are good people, just wanting to do their jobs to the best of their ability and to take care of the members. Most of the people genuinely have their hearts in the right place. There are opportunities within the company, simply because it's so huge.

Cons

The company has changed so much in the last 5 years. It has gone to a much more top-down management style. The movement to nationalize every process has disrupted what was a smoothly running process and has created so much uncertainty and insecurity among the staff. The company has adopted an increasingly impersonal and unapproachable management style, going through meaningless displays of "communication" with employees, when everyone knows that to speak up is to be the next target. Yes, they want employee input--as long as that input is agreement with whatever already has been decided by upper management. Those who are ambitions can go far with UHG, but often promotions appear to be based on ability and willingness to play the game rather than on knowledge and ability.

You employ many highly educated and dedicated people, many of whom have good ideas about what will and will not work in local markets, but the current management approach squelches those ideas. Treat employees with respect; that currently is lacking. And don't think for a minute that we can't all see right through those smoke screens you present.

This company is very hospitable, and loaded with quality people, the fitness facility is fantastic, and I miss it.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Awesome people! great working environment. The offices are modern, and loaded with amenities. Benefits are great, but good luck getting significant raises. Overall very satisfied with my experience there. A change in my family life forced me to leave.

Cons

There is some bureaucratic red tape that is hard to get around with and institution of over 170,000 employees. The recruitment software is a nightmare, forcing you to list your private financial information in order to apply.

Improve recruiting process to attract high talent

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

Ok, If you're not the primary bread winner

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, solid management, great work-life balance, good telecommuting and work from home policy. If you can get benefits from your spouse / partner and can handle not making the market salary, then it's a good place. Very good work-life balance and very accommodating for your personal needs.

Cons

Low pay scales, Poor Medical coverage - only United plans are available and only high-deductible plans. For anything not considered 'preventative', you have to pay 100% out of pocket until you reach your deductible. The lowest deductible option is around $2,000. This is the first place I've worked where I had to think twice before taking my kids to the doctor when they're sick. It's insulting that they don't discount their own services to their employees.

Take action on the employee surveys you run. Every year the feedback is that employees are not happy with the medical benefit, but the message we receive is that 'it's the future of health care'. Even if that's true, shouldn't employees get a break? Provide a non-high deductible plan at a discount to your employees and the word will go out that United takes care of their employees. Combining that with lower pay scales and you're going to lose your talent.

Great organization

Current Employee - Human Capital Partner
    Current Employee - Human Capital Partner

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people, working hard to help people live healthier lives.

Cons

Diversity at the senior-most levels.

Ensure that the organization is representative of our customers and communities.

very concerned

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ther training programs are easy to comprend and lasting ! you work on your own time ,Some trainings are in the office, also Webinars, and online courses

Cons

time based on recieving comissions

weekly meetings

Not a bad company, but direct management is terrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, great PTO policy, room for growth, company encourages volunteering and giving back.

Cons

Management at supervisor and director level are extremely unprofessional. It makes you wonder how they acquired/maintain their position. Lots of gossip and negativity in the work place and management encourages employees to "work it out amongst each other" when there is clearly a need for authority to intervene. It's very distracting to those of us who are just there to work and not fuss with office politics and drama.

Very disappointing in the lack of compassion from direct management when it comes to family death/illness. You will take your granted 3 days bereavement will show back up to managers acting as you didn't just have a life-changing tragedy.

Focus on leading by example.

UnitedHealth Group Photos