UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,133 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Unhealthy internal culture. Good benefits package. Average salary.

Former Employee - Management and Clinical/Professional in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Management and Clinical/Professional in Houston, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good stock and 401k.
    Good vacation time and accrual for longevity of employ.
    Allows for promotion into other insurance companies that offer career promise.

Cons

Extremely unhealthy internal culture upheld by lower/middle management.
    Promotions are strictly political, not merit driven, at lower/middle levels.
    Many departments highly understaffed at service / entry levels.
    Raises are not competitive.

Turn-over rates in departments often suggest poor management. Clean house.
    Multiple choice PC training tool does not equate effective manager/supervisor training.
    Appropriate staffing and good managers will likely improve culture and reduce turn-over.

A Challenging - Aggravation

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company as far as how they treat their employees. Very positive and they want you to advance and they provide
    opportunities to improve your skills. Good starting salary

Cons

The database software they use is an Oracle software= they call it IRIS . It truly sucks for taking prescription orders and all that it involves. Absolutely designed by an idiot. Too cumbersome and tedious to work with. Everyone there hates, it causes 30 percent or more of the agent's frustration and aggravation. The rest of the frustration is a poorly designed and overly redundant process. You have to work feverishly to do 10,000 things for taking one order for prescription and to give the order status it's like playing hide n go seek for the final and correct status. The poor customer has to stay on the phone for 30 - 60 min when there is a moderate problem to resolve. One customer - a young person -said the Optumrx web site is a pain to just set up your username and password. Every username he put in the system rejected it. He got tired or trying. This is over security - you can't even sign up. They need to pay $16.00 per hour for the sheer aggravation of the job mechanics. Customers call in upset and agents and pharmacist poorly notate the account - so it is a challenge to give a logical progression of what happened to the order. You have to look high and low and around the block for answers and then if you can't find the info - they want you to read training modules and bulletins- all the while the customer is on the phone waiting for a status on their order. If you still can't find it you can call someone to assist you. It's like the agent have to ride a broken bike to do the job. Ridiculous - but it's a job. Even our trainer and trainer assistant said they were in part motivated to become trainers because they wanted to GET OFF THE PHONES. For a insurance company they need to invest money in not fixing the broken system but redesign it with professional and non experience testers to have a better system. Optumrx does not have a state of the art system nor a 6 sigma work process. Most days can be very overwhelming trying to dodge the bullets.

UHG - OPTUMRX Review

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity of function, assignments. Customer Service, Prior Authorization, Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacists. There are also many opportunities for Specialty Team members. Great atmosphere and good training!

Cons

Utilizes UHG offsite recruiters for all positions. This hinders the opportunity for top performers who have developed specific skills and relationships from always being considered for promotions.

Redesign the INTERNAL Hiring / promotion system to allow INTERNAL candidates to bypass the external recruitment services.

United Healthcare is less concerned about their employees and more concerned about profits.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company (leading health insurance in U.S.), matching 401k, decent PTO after a few years, many departments/opportunities to pick from.

Cons

Low percentage yearly raises, declining health insurance benefits for employees (ironically), declining money spent on employees despite enormous company growth/profit.

Start spending more on your valuable employees or you will lose them to other companies that will invest more in them.

All about profits not about people

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Huge company, stability, very nice working environment, stock purchase plan, healthy focus

Cons

Not enough staff, benefits are not good..HSA is only option, all about how to get $1 more dollar out of everything at cost of losing people to exhaustion.

Take care of the people better....take a 1 percentage hit of profit to help people to work hard but not be so overloaded they become unhealthy. Too much greed...seems like it is never enough for the executives. I'm all about pushing for results but it is taken to a whole new level at United. At what cost?!

IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER?

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Cypress, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers - pay is ok - sometimes doesn't feel lie much of a team (But has improved
    Horrible Medical Benefits

Cons

People promoted are the wrong people to promote
    Too much dictatorship with mgmt.
    Very much a you vs. them environment
    Management is very out of touch with the member and those who deal with them on the front line

Pay attention to the turn over rates
    Be a little less worried about your own bonuses and take care of the employees
    Get in touch with what is really going on

Opportunity for advancement however life/.work balance is skewed

Former Employee - Management in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Roanoke, VA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a person who is numbers-driven & enjoys improving based on company generated stats, you can do very well here. There is ample opportunity for advancement and pay scale & benefits are good.

Cons

Individual strengths are not seen or acknowledged when they counter the required & stated metrics of the job. For instance, a phone center rep who takes the extra time to completely resolve the customer's is docked because handle time is excessive. This agent has excellent quality on calls but doesn't end calls until the customer is satisfied & issue resolved. There's something wrong with that and management refuses to see it.

Optimistic Realist at Optum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large Company, High Volumes of Work, Decent Salary, Decent Benefits, Employment
    Great company core values on paper.

Cons

Basic Corporate structure in which "Productivity" is God. Mandatory overtime. Lack of " Root Source" problem solving. Low employee retention. Demanding accountability from line staff while allowing major problems operationally to exist for a year+ while the staff bear the brunt of the consequences. Example: Cannot hire the vacant jobs due to posting process hold up of over two months (to date) told averages 4 months. Known issues with forecasting, staff expected to work massive OT to make numbers.

Optum has everything you need to become an employer of choice in TN. We are in the Fortune 100, that says allot. However, Optum needs to hire Management who will commit to their work groups long term. Find people who will develop and nurture their work groups. Once you find them, value them and retain them. The corporate world can become like an "orphanage". People are housed, fed, and exist. However,that is not enough for a human (dare I point out the obvious we are Humans). As a country, we are at a precipice, attempting to balance corporate needs with Human realities. A corporation is a thing. It does not moralize about what is right or wrong. What is often forgotten is that the Executive Level (and Management) is suppose to be the checks and balance to ensure a healthy system. It is my believe that the only Corporations that will survive in the future are the ones that are progressive enough to realize this truth. Human beings must be valued, appreciated and have a purpose. People are not interrupting our business, people are the purpose of our business.

Alright company to work for.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Frederick, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there a little over 13 years. It was a fun place to work, co-workers made it fun so I miss that the most. Loved learning new information about the health insurance field.

Cons

Myself and co-workers worked there for 10 years or more then laid off 2012, we wish they would've put us in other positions but just let us go.

Find other positions for those of us who were devoted employees.

Great team but no room for advancement

Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Washington, DC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, excellent coworkers, organized. Good only for additional income

Cons

Same pay for three years and no room for advancement. Seems like they are interested in keeping me in this role forever. I have applied for many full-time positions but no response.

UnitedHealth Group Photos