UnitedHealth Group

3.1
2,333 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

This company is very hospitable, and loaded with quality people, the fitness facility is fantastic, and I miss it.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Awesome people! great working environment. The offices are modern, and loaded with amenities. Benefits are great, but good luck getting significant raises. Overall very satisfied with my experience there. A change in my family life forced me to leave.

Cons

There is some bureaucratic red tape that is hard to get around with and institution of over 170,000 employees. The recruitment software is a nightmare, forcing you to list your private financial information in order to apply.

Improve recruiting process to attract high talent

Great organization

Current Employee - Human Capital Partner
    Current Employee - Human Capital Partner

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people, working hard to help people live healthier lives.

Cons

Diversity at the senior-most levels.

Ensure that the organization is representative of our customers and communities.

very concerned

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ther training programs are easy to comprend and lasting ! you work on your own time ,Some trainings are in the office, also Webinars, and online courses

Cons

time based on recieving comissions

weekly meetings

Good place to work with caveats.

Current Employee - Information Architect
    Current Employee - Information Architect

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move into new positions and learn new skills. They like to promote from within and offer training to everyone.

Cons

Leadership have poor communication and strategy skills. This has led to miscommunication of requirements, telling internal clients one thing and then telling your own people something else.

Strategize, get your ducks in a row, then clearly communicate direction and goals to your people. Only then will we deliver what is wanted on time.

UHG has a lot of opportunity if you are smart and work hard.

Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities within the company. I suggest quickly building your network and don't get stuck in one role for too long. Unless you are getting the right opportunities within the existing team, I would suggest moving to a new role every 2 years. Great benefits and the culture is getting much better.

Cons

As you move up the ranks, you will get sucked into corporate politics. Most of the time it is an interesting challenge, but sometimes you can find yourself on the losing end and looking for a new role.

Be flexible in giving internal talent an opportunity, even if they don't fit the job exactly. You'll create a lot more loyalty. I suggest reviewing the granting of stock options and RSUs for GL29 and GL30 employees. By not giving them out regularly, you aren't creating a strong incentive for your young leaders to stay.

Sales Director

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great organization with razor sharp focus on initiatives. Leadership top rated and always available!

Cons

On occasion the SMU's (subject matter experts) would become in great demand by sales team.

Keep up the great work!

Great company

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

This is a large national company with many different departments and opportunities for transfer around the country. The Indianapolis office has a small town feel.

Cons

There could be some work done updating the technology for employess. The systems are not unified and every day something seems to be not working.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time there. Would love to go back

Cons

Very hard to get in...

UnitedHealth Group Photos