UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,025 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

2,927 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

Associate Director, Operational Initiatives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Companies pays well.
    Great work to life balance.
    Extensive financial resources to use on projects that have strategic value to the bottom line.

Cons

100% bottom line focus.
    Little career growth opportunities.
    Corporate culture is a zero sum game. Executives use the terms "land grab" and "territory" which is not good for overall outlook on growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Change the turf wars culture and allow people to grow across the company without political ramifications.

It was ok.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Bensalem, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The process is laid out. You know what the expectations are. There was collegial work environment and colleagues were always to help one another.

Cons

There's always pressure. Compensation not at par with the amount of work. Any one bug in your code is enough to deny you bonus.

Advice to Management

Review compensation.

7. Flexibility and Stability

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home. National company that gets you a lot of exposure with different areas of businesses

Cons

Conservative culture that don't get you improved

Stable job, stagnant growth

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Good work culture. The managers are interested in development and growth of junior employees. Open door policy and good mentorship

Cons

Long and unpredictable hours. Clients control projects and upper management does a poor job of spreading out the projects. There are days when very little work gets done and there are other days when employees spend 15 hours working

Advice to Management

Plan beforehand. Get client and junior members of the team involved in this phase so as to project timelines, work hours and resource requirements

Doing Important Work

Current Employee - Report Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Report Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is definitely going places. The ability to work as a full-time telecommuter is a wonderful option. There are definitely advancement opportunities within the company. Innovation is encouraged. Employees are encouraged to think outside of the box to come up with new solutions to issues. Volunteering within your community is greatly encouraged. UHG supports the communities the employees live and work by donations, volunteering, etc.

Cons

I have worked in several different positions with UHG and had several different managers. The only opportunities I have had for a decent pay increase was by moving on to a new position on a different team and asking for more money. As typical with a large matrix organization, communication between teams can be lacking causing a duplication of efforts.

I also have to agree that the health plan options for UHC employees is the worst I have seen for families. It is very frustrating to work for a health insurance company and have such an expensive plan.

Advice to Management

Be open to constructive criticism. Take the time to speak with your employees and actually listen and address their concerns. In this fast-pased environment, remember there are actual people doing the jobs, not just numbers.

10. Claims Processor

Former Employee - Former Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Option to work from home

Cons

Excessive Business Required OT for 5 YRS with less than 2 months total with out OT during that time. Having to put in for vacations 1 yr in advance in a lottery hopping you get approvedpromotional opportunity only for friends of friends because they are the "better fit"

Advice to Management

Better training. Better way to treat all employees even the WAH they get left out and ignored treated like second class citizens.

11. Senior customer service rep

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

United health is a good company because we get 2 increases a year as well as opportunity to make bonuses

Cons

I dislike the fact that the medical insurance is so riduculous and this is an insurance company. The employees should get offered abetter choice of medical plans.

Advice to Management

My advice is to continue to reward employees for great work by offering incentives and regular increase. The cost of living is very high and employees want to be able to see the fruits of their labor when they are devoting over 40 hours a week to a company.

Showing 2,927 of 2,998 reviews