UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,078 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

3,047 Employee Reviews

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Make sure your follow the company policies!

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Company is good to work for if you want to put in lots and lots of hours. They promote within and they find programs for you to work on if one ends.

Cons

Too many HR issues. Your a number, No one is accountable for the work they do not complete so you have to wait forever to get anything done. Training needs to be better. Must follow all policies to a tee. That is not bad, but they try to find something wrong

Advice to Management

Your trainers need to be more qualified and you have to treat your employees with respect. Do not talk about them behind their backs. Work with employees not against them

Passive Aggressive Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Optum office itself was gorgeous. Great cafeteria, Caribou Coffee, convenience store, onsite health clinic, gym with nice locker rooms and covered parking. Overall they have a diverse group of workers and do seem to have a lot of older workers.

Cons

Optum has a lot of jobs and the new corporate campus is amazing. That said, the culture was sad. Prepare yourself for a lonely existence where you spend most of your days at your desk on WebEx. Culturally the organization is made up of a lot of people who, once they've learned the company specifics, dig in and coast along with the status quo. It is not a friendly environment. New employees are basically hazed by the culture. If you don't understand terminology, technology or who does what, you are on your own. Even enrolling in your medical benefits is self-service, and they make the benefits! If you are in any of the Twin Cities offices, expect within the first few months to have a corporate sit-down with your boss questioning if you really want to work there and why you aren't committing 80 hour weeks. Eventually you start giving into the bureaucracy and plan your days around the least path of resistance. Externally, Optum is positioned as a youthful, innovative and modern company, but that is not that culture on the inside. I question their ability to attract and retain creative individuals. For the most part, the people you will deal with are bureaucratic bullies who have been there for years and do not want to change.

Advice to Management

The fact that most of your employees telecommute should be a wake-up call. You are building a new Optum campus and no one actually comes to work. Bad sign of your culture.

been good to me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great PTO. Desk job and great hours. Potential work at home (although that option is not open to my team...)

Cons

I've heard horror storries from other departments. management acts like big brother. lots of mandatory overtime with very little notice. High tune over rates in the customer service area. Low pay

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees. Stop trying to monitor our every movements.

Instructional Designer

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Wellington, FL
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Wellington, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits. 100% Work at home. Focus on corporate culture from top down. Decent pay scale. Kind of place you can go to and stay for 20+ years. Company stock is very stable.

Cons

Too many leaders above you. 110+k employees. So large it is easy to get lost. Pay is not consummate with experience level. It takes a long time to promote and salary increase. Very frugal company. Rarely ever see any swag.

Advice to Management

Feels like the $$$ focus is on stock not on employees working to make the $$$.

Typical call center enviroment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kannapolis, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kannapolis, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're able to type, put a sentence together professionally and read a computer screen you'll have no problem getting hired.

Cons

No room for advancement, or increase in pay. It's more like being a clog in a wheel than working for one of the biggest companies in the country.

Advice to Management

Performance reviews, pay for performance and advancement would help morale tremendously.

9. Claim adjuster

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Pay, flex schedule, no micro management, great people

Cons

Poor tuition reimbursement, no so good benefits, no over time

Advice to Management

Better organization

Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors are very understanding of all life little issues. Be open and upfront with them and you always have a home with them.

Cons

Sticklers for time accountability when logged onto server. Make sure to note valid reasons for not being in the call que.

Director

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good amount of time off - if you take it! Flexible work schedules which leads to a better work/life balance.

Cons

Can be a very competitive company internally. Makes it hard to trust people. Recruitment process is pretty cold when working with external people.

Advice to Management

Be a little nicer and have more actual team/relationship building.

Showing 3,047 of 3,137 reviews