UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
2,002 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

About what you would expect. Meh.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities are there if you properly politic, brown-nose, and drink the kool-aid (must live in MN tho). If you are in a high demand area and like your direct upline, it is bearable.

Cons

You truly are just a number. The benefits are not what you would expect, and the raises are minimal. Record revenues =/= decent raises to employees. They use any possible upcoming negative to cry "Austerity!" when it comes to pay increases. Human Capital may as well be named Human Chattel. Offshoring is rapidly increasing, layoffs are becoming routing, but the the culture is changing! (to a culture of fear).

Stop changing the segment leadership so often. I am not sure what you think you gain from that. Stop wringing profits from the backs of your employees. Austerity should start from the top down.

Challenging, in a good way...

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They kept training me to do more and more platforms and skills. Learning to help members more and more in very difficult areas.

Cons

If it took longer than 2 minutes to help them, you would get a Verbal or written warning for your time metrics going up. There is just no way to give quality help in 120 seconds. I took my chances and gave quality help and was fired for my time metrics. I helped people fix problems that employees trying to beat the 2 minute time criteria created and helped a great many people. (members were finally able to get Chemo meds) TOTALLY WORTH IT. At the end of the day it isn't how fast you work, it's how many lives you touch.

Stop with the favoritism and time metrics and give some quality help, not fast help to the Members.

Job is ok. Management could use a good overhaul

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Hours are flexible. Able to work at your own pace

Cons

supervisors are cliquey and immature

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Provider Services Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Provider Services Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay based on experience, recognition, advancement opportunities.

Cons

Focus on non important metrics.

I would focus on more motivation, placing advanced agents in roles to assist with struggling agents, provide more help lines for struggling agents.

Rewarding work in a positive environment

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Immediate management was involved and understood what was going on. Resources were available to get your work done. Working hard and producing excellent results was rewarded. Lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

The usual bureaucracy and red tape in a large company. Requests for some things took longer than they should have. PTO isn't paid out when you leave the company.

Stable Company

Current Employee - Rework Specialist  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Rework Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to telecommute, flex schedules, good benefit packages

Cons

Quick to put people on performance warnings, difficulty moving from one department to another.

The stringent, computerized metric evaluations neglect to consider the employee as a whole.

Employees viewed as expendable

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nation wide company, room for re-location if necessary. Co-workers dedicated to the customers

Cons

Company culture views employees and customers as expendable. Upper management and corporate heads disregard experience and high value asset employees in favor of board of director profits.

Loyalty is a two way street. You spend millions training new employees to spend less on salaries and dump experienced employees without the opportunity to advance themselves or transfer to other positions. You keep losing knowledge sets and money.

Sr Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO, Work life balance, personal growth and professional growth offered in the company, Holidays, and the supply and demand of the business.

Cons

Some benefits are great, but then the others that are not include the non negotiable base pay for the position.

Not a bad place to work at

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

My boss was an awesome person, the team was also really great. The building was well maintained and it is easy to get along with anyone within the same team.
    It was a very flexible schedule which was awesome because you could come in as you pleased as long as you worked your 8hrs and took care of any calls you may had

Cons

The company itself didn't seem to think much of our department. We were most of our time worried as to what the next move was going to be in regards to our employment status

There is no real incentive for workers to perform better. The carrot on this stick for the most part was processing the visas. It didn't work for most of us. I myself found it offensive.

Not for the timid

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Investing in building a stronger culture. Values focused. Good training. Invests in development. Promotions availble for high performers. Definite focus on getting it right on service. In a variety of businesses, including services, and is all over the country. Opportunities are there in different locations; flexibility to work from home for many positions.

Cons

Hard work. Demanding. Compensation is in line with competition, but not at the top of the range.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!