UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,021 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 254 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 92 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

worse organization in India

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

never opt this organization in India

Cons

management and leaders are politicians who are ready to screw innocents life normal humans and treat humans as robotic slaves

change human resource system in India and also management in leaders actually remove the north Indian crooks and take out from organization by giving termination

Pathetic for anyone below director level

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stability is there for the most part, some flexibility to work from home. Large enterprise, can try to move within the company. Good place for short term (1-3) years but avoid stagnation and leave after that.

Cons

Terrible employee retention policy. Pay raises are very low <2-3% even for Top performers with 5-6 bonus that is a joke. Anyone below grade 29 is treated as totally dispensable.

Work is decent. Not a risk taking culture at all. Open feedback is not part of their philosophy.

The HR DEPT is primarily the company CYA dept.

It's hard to advice re management which is responsible for the culture that promotes favoritism

Interesting work, poor work culture

Current Employee - Domino Administrator  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Domino Administrator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Remote positions
    -Interesting time to be in Electronic Medical Records

Cons

-Horrible Corprate Culture where advancement is based on who you know not what you contribute.
    -Car Salesmanish, poorly informed management that doesn't listen to staff.
    -Outsourcing as much as possible to Manilla.

Hire management who actually knows what they are talking about instead of throwing around buzzwords. If you advanced employees who have actually worked at UHG and know firsthand where improvements can be made, it's called well-informed decision making, trust me it;s the way to go.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stagnant, hostile towards employees

Former Employee - IT Director  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

United Health Group is a very profitable, financially secure company. Their model largely focused on delivering health insurance and some health provider services at a bare minimum cost. The company provides a lot of structure as long as you're trying to fit into a well established role or process. They're the Walmart of healthcare.

Cons

I've worked for 3 fortune-100 companies. I have never encountered a company so thoroughly mistrustful of its employees or allergic to spending money. A few anecdotes:

I had an expense reports with $13 lunches rejected because the receipt was slightly faded and the total was partially illegible (the line items were readable). This was the norm, expenses took me an average of 4 re-submissions (6-8 weeks) to get paid. By the time I left, I was out-of-pocket roughly $2500 for expenses they simply would not pay due to some contrived technicality.

My role required me to use a piece of software that, while well known in the field, was not on the corporate approved software list. I received regular nasty-grams from UHG-IT that I was out of compliance with company policy and could be terminated as a result. Every member of our ~40-person team received these emails for years despite repeated requests for an exemption.

Developers on our team routinely upgraded their own laptops and monitors out of pocket, just to get a machine with usable specifications. This was done quietly and with fear of the above UHG-IT police.

11 days after my daughter was born, I received a call from HR informing me that I was on an unauthorized leave and could be terminated. I had filled out all of the paperwork for FMLA leave (federally mandated unpaid leave to care for a newborn or sick family member) but I was told that I had provided insufficient evidence that my daughter, born to my wife, was in fact *my* daughter. I spent 2 solid days trying to chase down a form of proof they would accept instead of supporting my wife and bonding with my daughter.

Spin off Optum, specifically OptumInsight. UHC is incredibly risk-averse by nature, perhaps rightfully so given its business and market position. Software businesses need to tolerate some level of experimentation and risk or they quickly shed their talent and stagnate.

Run away for this company as fast as you can!!!

Former Employee - Vice President Payer Market
    Former Employee - Vice President Payer Market

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are part of the"home boy network" that has been together for quite some time you can do well.

Cons

Some of the worst management I have ever worked for. In my 4 years in sales, my manager went with me on 1 sales call. He basically sits at home and calls to ask what are the deals you are bringing in. they will also pull deals away from you and make them "house" accounts with no commision. You can not trust the management team. Territories are always being shifted, Good Ole Home Boy network here. If you are not in the network you will get the worst territory.

Look at territories and make them fair for all.

Wasting UHG US insurance dollars

Former Employee - Architect  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Architect in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Life balance
    But it is bad also. There is just too much of work life balance i.e. At max 40% meaningful engagement at any point of time. Work life balance is towards unhealthy side.
    Lip work as appreciation for technical good work.

Cons

Having worked with some Captive organizations now, i feel UHG india is the worst by significant margin being run by some really clueless senior middle management.
    In my tenure i have seen someone getting promoted in a year time for completely mis managing a big team and dwindling it down to 30% of its initial capacity. Later on the same leader trying to add employees without any projects in pipeline. I feel for those new employees where they are getting into the mess.

You can not ( i mean can not ) take what they say about the work in interviews on face value. In some cases the work itself is not there. They are just trying to fill empty position ID's created by employee resignations. There will be months without any work. A well reasoned self respecting IT guy will go mad without work here.
    I have seen people coming to office just to Turn on the Computer ( Some level 27 guys as well ) or running their own business using UHG as a side income. Politics is just a class above anywhere else and is at a very unhealthy level.

Too much party without any real success to spice up the "no work" boring life. Come on - every dollar UHG saves is a dollar for a patient care. They do not value what they say.

No Technology thought leadership. When whole world is becoming engineering heavy - This organization is becoming more managerial heavy. Its well known that Captive organizations offer less head room for promotion where as you get to own the work you do. The pride of doing something technically good for your organization should be there. Here its futile to even try to start anything. You will be shot down by over conservative less techie management. Or they will provide lip service to create it as if they are providing lollipop to a crying baby.

There are some good people also and good work happening in pockets But they are few in number and rapidly depleting. The soul of the organization is lost in India. The way it was created by Mr Mishra is no longer now present. Its running for the sake of running. If i were in UHG IT management in MPLS, i would give a critical look at the india leadership in IT. UHG india is a money sink created and it will continue to bleed sick patient insurance dollars without any bang for its true worth.

The sad part is there are too many managers playing the system. You will be forced to join this ghetto and take wrong advantage of the system or you will be sidelined/ ignored from a broad sector of management. You will be talked about in parties as a non compliant member.

Management communicates with well articulated english statements. You won't find any value or meaning from what they say. The sentences are well formulated at an abstraction level where you can relate it to World peace forum talks.

BTW i still think business process outsourcing running out of india is a value add to UHG and its doing good. on a conservative scale even If 60% IT from india is abolished UHG will not be impacted.

I so regret getting into this company and wasting my productive IT career while i was there. I was not a low end performer as some would think from this review. In all organizations i have worked i have got awards from near CIO level for my hands on technical work and in UHG also i have been rewarded from same level. However I sincerely feel its not an engineering / IT organization. If you are a IT professional and value your IT career do not join this company. If you want to take a break from IT, It can be a good max 1 year parking space.

None because advice needs to be given to someone who is worth taking it.

OptumRx...It's all about the metrics....

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, work from home option for certain positions, good PTO accrual rate after 5 years, on site cafeteria

Cons

The company used to be the employer of choice for pharmacists in the Kansas City area until 3 years ago when new executive management was brought in. Everything and everyone has since been reduced to a number. A manual tracker has to be used to document all work, and even bathroom breaks, etc. Discussions that aren't work related are not allowed on the processing floor at any time, so it's quite draconian. The main computer system is extremely complex and unstable, so there are constant upgrades and workarounds that seem to only make things worse. Pharmacists are expected to verify more and more scripts per hour, and if you don't meet the goals you are put on a corrective action plan, with your job in jeopardy. There is a lot of mandatory overtime here, which makes a work life balance a challenge. In 3 short years, OptumRx has gone from the employer of choice for pharmacists, to the employer of last resort.

Take the annual employee survey seriously and make changes to where OptumRx once again becomes a place people want to work. You have lost a lot of phenomenal employees over the last 2 years and good people continue to leave. There needs to be a greater effort to create a work life balance for employees, or they will continue to seek employment elsewhere.

Claims Associate

Former Employee - Gurgaon  in  Farīdābād, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Gurgaon in Farīdābād, Haryana (India)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Brand Name, trainings are good

Cons

Highly competitive work environment, not at all work life balance, lots of politics

HR need to be more effective

Finance

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're an old man with money looking to hoard more from the vulnerable masses, this is your kingdom

Cons

Old boys club. Fake culture of compassion, integrity and relationships. Don't start at the bottom there... Raises are very minimal. Horrible benefits.

Promote and empower more women. Stop screwing them.

Unorganization

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is decent. That's about it.

Cons

Training was 11 weeks of disorganized nonsense! There were many instances in which we literally sat around and did nothing for hours on end! Calls to the help desk would range from 30 minutes to an hour or possibly longer, so if one associate had to make the dreaded call to help desk then the entire class would have to wait for the call to end. Training was a bad experience to say the least.

This company has a casual dress code so you can pretty much wear jeans everyday. Unfortunately some of the associates in the building take it a bit too far. There were times when I thought a prostitute was walking towards the building, only to find out it was an employee. The environment itself, on the actual floor, has a very "ghetto" feel to it. You look around and a lot of the female employees look as if they are going to a bar or club with the way they dress.

There were many instances in which I said hello or good morning to many of the seasoned associates only to be either ignored or given a dirty look. Yes you guessed right, it was mainly the "ghetto trash" employees that were very rude!

I tell everyone I know not to EVER consider employment here!

The dress code must be enforced! Training needs to be efficient and the actual trainers need to be better prepared
    With the material they are presenting to the class.

UnitedHealth Group Photos

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!