UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,785 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,785 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 215 reviews
  • "This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees"
    in 107 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less"
    in 72 reviews
  • "This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance"
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pre service benefit review nurse Walmart group Richardson Texas

Pre Service RN (Former Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsPossibility to work from home

ConsHorrible work environment. Unrealistic work production. Managers not a clue or care. HR depth another con. Worst environment I have worked as an RN in over 20 years

Advice to Senior ManagementNone I could give

I was initially fooled into thinking all the rumors were not true.

Instructional Designer (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsNew office. Good parking.great co-workers (mostly)

ConsThey push the company's belief that they support a positive environment without ensuring that the leadership is leading by example. Management is competitive and always looking for "dirt" to hold over someone for their own benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example!
    Don't step on people to climb the corporate ladder!

Pathetic Environment (I wish I could give less than "1 Star:)

M & R Representative (Current Employee)
    Oldsmar, FL

ProsThe only "pro" would pertain to the fact that if you are completely desperate for a job, and you get hired, then that could potentially be considered a "pro"

ConsManagement in the call center consists of 'hacks" who report to a main "hack."

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice to give to management because it's futile to give advice to people who don't care about improving the arena.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't walk, run!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay was great. That's about it.

ConsI don't know where to even start. I was hired in with a supervisor that worked on the other side of the state that had absolutely no clue on what our department performed. Even worse, those that did work in the department were never trained and hadn't a clue how to show me how to do the job. A few months in, I was trained to use a certain computer system and was moved to a different team. We did have a bit of training from someone on the team that had been there for years. However, it had been some time since she had performed our job and constantly gave out wrong information in which we were audited on. Errors were a big no no and you were kindly informed with a big red ! that you've done something wrong. On top of having a quality and production standard that was nearly possible to accomplish, everyone on the team save for a few of us worked from home. Trust me when I say, sitting in an office while you listen to your co-workers birds in the background can make you twinge a little with envy. There's a little chance you'll get a day off. Most days are taken up before you can consider taking them off. You also cannot call in sick more than three times, regardless if you're on your death bed. Deal with being overwhelmed and stressed with the unlimited/constantly changing SOPs that make it even harder to perform your job to what is expected of you, you also have kiss up to get ahead. If not, be prepared to have your supervisor demean you in whatever snide way they can without being to blatant about it. Your supervisor depending on your department, will not have your back. Fight your own battles, even if you're right, even if the person you're up against is in so many words calling you an idiot. You're on your own. If that wasn't bad enough (yes there's more) eventually we were told constantly that we were going to be laid off but weren't given dates or any information other than to wait and see. Eventually a few of us did get laid off and was told to quit doing what we were doing and leave during the middle of the work day. It certainly made me feel like I was a valued employee to have been as dedicated as I was while all the folks that couldn't "train me" stand around chatting all day only to be laid off. They're still employed at UHG which makes me wonder if I brown nosed enough and did everything but my job that I'd still have one there.

If only I could've given this company 0 stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like a number but a person and treat everyone equally. Employees could also benefit from being properly trained, not just in the computer systems but in their actual job. It'd also be a plus to have supervisors know exactly what the team does like the back of their hand. Also, establish some work/life balance.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsI don’t have any too many great things to say about UHG, my opinion being the largest health care Company. I think they should find better ways to look after their employees and Insured, because that’s who helps this company. : (

ConsEspecially for APIPA, AZ unorganized their CS dept. wheel snack carts all day long and manager is playing either his floor golf or WII with his favorite Supervisors and CS agents. While calls are backed up, claims don’t get paid due to most agents are not well train or don’t have enough time. Calls are transfer because they don’t know who can answer the customer’s questions currently? Sorry but that’s the true.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can never say anything bad about Management or Supervisors but they have their favorites and they already know who is going to get the next position that opens up. And if you know how to kiss those feet or lower yourself, it’s all yours. That’s how the world turns, in most cases. Not always some of us have to work very hard to get there, it just a few more years. : ) Love my life. Health insurance deductible is very high outrages for their employees. For School they can"t start paying for your school until after 1 yr. of service, ect.

Horrible place to work

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsCo-workers are great, the only thing enjoyable about working for UHC is the employees, not managers.

ConsThe management is a joke, there is no support for customer service reps. There is a ton of training but they don't actually prepare you for how the phone calls are. The metrics are horrible, they listen to your calls, tell you what to say, then tell you there is no script. If you don't say exactly what they want you fail your call, if your tone is not perfect you fail your call. They have the nerve to tell us all that we need to start treating our members like "humans" and with "compassion", yet they treat the CS reps like crap if we don't act like robots. The managers don't treat the employees as "humans" or with "compassion". Its a call center, you take calls and you don't matter. The benefits are terrible also, you would think an insurance company could afford to offer better medical benefits.

UHG only cares about what it looks like to the outside world and doesn't care about its employees

Customer Care Professional (Current Employee)
    Kingston, NY

ProsYou get a steady paycheck, and the hours are nice, no weekends or holidays unless overtime is offered, which isn't too often in customer service dept. Pay is decent for the area, and a nice amount of time off.

ConsThe company is so worried about how it looks to the outside world, and less concerned with its employees. They add awkward scripting to make reps seem "more compassionate". They keep piling on work without very little increases in pay. They make the bonus more and more difficult to get. Make it more difficult to do our job by making us do all this extra work w/o proper systems or working systems. They do a yealy survey about the company and make all these changes to make the employees see oh ok this is good then as soon as the survey is over they take those changes away. Has happened the last couple of years. This year they did poorly on one about being proud to work for their company, so instead of finding out why the people are not, they are having people in meetings say why they are proud and if they can't come up with something they are to make something up. They offer more training on being compassionate than learning about our specific job function.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you show you compassion to your employees we would voluntarily be more compassionate to the callers. But forcing compassion and vital signs down our throats makes us not want to be compassionate at all and not have faith in the company.

No loyalty to employees, likes to outsource jobs. Declining salaries.

Health Advisor (Current Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

Prosinexpensive benefits, decent amount of vacation time.

ConsPoor work-life balance, seniority does not matter in any aspect of your job (time off priority, work hours etc.) Management seems to play favorites with promotions rather than promoting the most qualified individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more up front with employees about your "global strategies" aka slowly outsourcing all of your departments to compensate for "profit losses" due to healthcare reform. Reward your tenured employees more and give them incentive not to leave the first chance they get. Allow your employees to have a work life balance. Stop giving Mr. Hemsley million dollar raises while doing little to help your front line employees.

Network Contracting Manager

Network Contract Manager (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

Prosthe end of the day does eventually come

ConsDisjointed and broken processes need to be fixed. Too many meetings training and not enough time to do the actual job. I am not doing contracting work, I am an entry level individual inputting information into systems that don't work

Advice to Senior Managementfix the broken processes and make individuals accountable for their work. The scope of responsibility is too large for a Network Contract Manager in Iowa. Cannot possible do a good job.

Needs management review , too many managers . No communication bridge between employees and higher management.

IT Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWork from home , vacation policy, work timing is flexible

ConsNo appreciation for hard work, no work life balance , no incentives and pay hikes, pay comparison for roles is not clear, too many managers .

No scale to measure wor

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove employee relationship , incentive-pay needs to be revised , too much outsourcing, no programs to help employees develop growth.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,785 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.