UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2424 reviews filtered by
2,424 Reviews
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

1. Disappointing - Say yes and keep your head down

Current Employee - Optum Technology in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Optum Technology in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the workers ('individual contributors') at UHG/Optum are down-to-earth, hard working, and helpful. Health benefits are bad, but employee stock purchase plan, 401k matching, and vacation are good benefits. Some areas won't let you take your vacation, but I haven't run into this issue.

Cons

During the interview you are told you can move within the company. If you are a good employee, you will be blocked and when you ask your manager, you will be told that they would never do that - Very dishonest and unethical management. The best advice to someone who needs to work here is to make a 4-year plan. You will not get deserved raises and you will not get the full bonus promised. Get a raise for starting here and get out within 4 years so you don't lose out on money. Also, don't take the review too hard. I have seen hard working people start crying after their review because someone needs to be rated low in order to promote a person in the inner circle. Remember that the person giving the review is trying to get ahead - there is more brown-nosing at this company than I have ever seen in a company and the higher levels of management eat it up (although there is always the exception).

Nothing I can say - It's not an ethical place to work and if you think it is, you are beyond listening to any words of advice.

2. I am a Nurse, not a Tele-marketer

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. Good amt. of PTO (but you must bid for particular dates and must get your own replacement to cover you while gone).

Cons

Crappy benefits (high deductibles). No copays. For office visit, company pays about 1/3 and employee pays 2/3 (for me around $60, nothing but visit - no lab, etc.).
    The cubicles have ears so don't discuss anything, unless you want your (brand spankin' new) supervisor to hear because her mother who works in the cubicle area will run as quick as she can to tell her.
    Um, yeah, brand-spankin' new supervisor. May be fantastic as a case manager but horrible manager (worst one I've EVER had in the 38 years I've been in the workforce).
    Must sign an agreement that says you will miss no work for the first 90 days (for NO reason, even your mother dying... TRUTH!). So your mother dies, you get back from her funeral to find you are in "corrective action" for missing work in your first 90 days.
    You are coached 1:1 twice a week on how to get the members to take your call and keep them on the phone. Mind you, most take the call because it is their insurance company and they are afraid it has something to do with their medical bills being paid. Many feel terrible (they are SICK) and don't want to take a cold call, but they do. As long as the nurse case manager is making sure they don't return to the hospital, she's doing her job keeping the costs contained. Every thing the nurse does has a $ amt. attached to show the company the nurses' return on investment (or ROI). This is all measured with how many calls made, how many were answered, engaged, enrolled. If you have to go to the bathroom, make sure you put the right code into your computer and DANGER don't forget to change it back because it will show that you remained away from your desk for too long!
    Make sure you study every email when you get to work and be damn sure you understand procedure (even if the procedure has changed 4 times in one day - NO LIE!)
    Just keep calling and saying exactly what you're told to say! Just keep calling! Oh, what was your name again? Just keep calling!

Your employees have names, lives, and you don't own them! Just make sure you keep pouring up the koolaid and dangling the $ carrot in front of them!

"Commitment to Integrity and Doing the Right Thing is a Joke"

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They're hiring, but read on...

Cons

After making new hires sit through all the videos of executive management espousing the company's commitment to "doing the right thing," "Integrity" yada yada, it's funny to watch what happens in practice. I left another position to accept a "6 month contract to hire" position at UHG. I started on December 1st, but on December 11th I was told there was no budget for me and my last day would be December 23rd. Merry Christmas!

Watch your own videos.

Love/Hate relationship!

Current Employee - Health Advisor in Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Health Advisor in Kingston, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The pay is very good, the amount of vacation time is good, getting to do volunteer work paid by the company is awesome but that's about it. The pay is what keeps people working here.

Cons

Every supervisor/manager will give a different answer to the same question, there is no work/life balance; all vacation time needs to be planned ahead of time so if you or your kid gets sick it will count against you. The health insurance benefits for working at a health insurance company are the worst! They hire based on personal prefernce not on the best interest of employees. Once you get used to doing something a certain way you can forget it because it changes at the drop of a dime. Goals and stats you're expected to meet are lowered regularly and almost unacheivable so don't expect your quarterly bonus. They say they help people live healthier lives when really they are slowly killing their own employees by keeping us chained to our desks with no physical activity, stressed out constantly with all the changes and new goals, and risking our lives to go to work in terrible weather and counting it against us. We get a hurricane as well as 2-3 feet of snow and u better make sure u leave extra early they tell you. No compassion at all. High turn over rate of employees but hope you don't get a chronic medical conditiom that requires an FMLA or disability leave because jumping through those hoops will kill you alone getting an approval. Don't question anything or else you won't be liked which will lead to no promotions or opporitunities being given to you.

Show compassion to you're employees that you demand we give our customers, loosen up on attendance policy and allow people to be safe at home instead of driving in a state of emergency. Stop changing everything with each new leader and making it harder for us to meet your goals. This advice is from a team of 6 currently unhappy employees.

Suck you in with promises...can't deliver to their most valuable asset..employees

Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Work from home on outdated laptops that rarely perform with multiple databases and applications.

Cons

IT outsourced - no commitment to employees
    HR - outsourced - pro-UHG, not Pro-employee

Stop being so cheap with salary and changing Job Titles. The word is out in the Clinical Professional world.
    What happened at Arthur Andersen ? The reason the CEO makes so much money is because the salaries are low and health insurance liability is passed on to the employees.

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Rapid Resolution Specialist in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Rapid Resolution Specialist in Chico, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The pay was better then most places in the area.

Cons

The constant change in management

Hire the right people for the right positions

WATCH OUT.

Former Contractor - Developer
    Former Contractor - Developer

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Working from home, definite plus.
    Equipment was typically top of the line.
    Encouraged to grow in skills.

Cons

The ugly truth about working for a UHG now Optum, is the fact you are not treated as an human being until you maybe reach the management status. I work for United Health Group, as a contract developer for almost 2 years. In that time I have built and work on several applications for the company, help win an award for our team and put in long hours. So you may ask hmmmm.. what possibly could go wrong.. Number one lets talk about management. One major problem with management is that they have no idea how to manage or be effective leaders ( Of course this does not apply to every Manager some are amazing ) . Why you may ask, i.e. you work on a small team but your director and mangers walks down the hall way and doesn't even acknowledge you as they pass you by. (SMH ) I might seem like I am complaining but this is an issues that fellow coworkers have reported or spoken on many times. But lets forget the fact the upper management says nothing to you, if your not Caucasian Male the future seems bleak for you. I sat at my seat and witnessed how they systematically removed all of African American workers who initial started with the team and help built the team. But was removed for no true reason at all. At one point in time I even heard one of the male managers comment on his disdain for this particular Caucasian woman not because of her work, or work efforts. Simple because she was a lesbian woman and had a girlfriend, and you wonder why this talented woman doesn't work at UHG anymore. This kind of atmosphere shouldn't exist in 2011 2012 or 2025, it is simply WRONG, to discriminate or treat another human being depending on Hue of Skin or Social status, or Sexual preference. These are very harsh allegations but the writing is on the wall do your research and you will see.

Remove managers that discriminate i.e. and work as a team, get to know your workers so you can truly understand them ... break down racial barriers, and remove typical Male egotistical behavior.

Horrible Management at United health CARE employer and Individual

Former Employee - Medical Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Medical Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are looking to be employed by a big company- this is your spot.

Cons

Doesn't matter how good of a job you do they will never see it because all levels of Management are in clique and if you are not a part of it you are SOL.

Take a good look at yourself and how you run things. It's true, it's not the employee- it's you and your horrible leadership and lack of management. Being a Manager or supervisor or vice director does not give you any rights to power trip. To be a true leader you must lead and treat others by example and not just favoring certain employees because they are your friends. UNITED HEALTH CARE employs way too many supervisors or managers who then in turn hires their ( best friends or family members ETC)- This does cause conflict of interest because whether they want to admit it or not- those friends or family members do get special treatment. This is something HUMAN RESOURCE should really take a look at. Please Note *** I rated 1 star on Career Opportunities because- it all depends on your current supervisor, if they are supportive you are good, if they are not, you are SOL because they will do whatever to hold you back- including they will go to great lengths to try to prevent you and claim that it's a business need and that's why you can't leave to another department.

Not a Trustworthy Company

Former Employee - Prior Auth
    Former Employee - Prior Auth

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home, decent pay

Cons

First, the office politics are staggering. There were plenty of times I saw hard working individuals passed up for promotions, and those promotions given to less qualified individuals just because they were drinking buddies with the supervisors. The favorites were also able to take several long breaks, without any corrective action taken. There are several instances of people getting fired or laid off because the supervisors told them to do the wrong thing. This company is the truest example of "It's who you know, not what you know".

Cutting back on office politics would make this a much less toxic environment to work in! Extra transparency would be good as well.

11. A nightmare

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kingston, NY

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok. Still bad, but at least over $10

Cons

Horrible training and management. Dispicable benefits (I expected so much more being a health insurance company). This company just wants a body in a seat to take the calls so that it looks good on paper. Very stressful dealing with the people who call in (I worked in mental health), dealing with their psychological issues all day. Feels like we're being paid to be a punching bag. Managers don't care about anything except their pay checks (which are a lot higher), and keeping standards to metrics and quality so it looks good. No compassion. You have to be chained to your desk. No sympathy from management when they know it's a stressful. Just an overall horrible place and horrible company. Glad to get out when I did.

Just shut down the site. You fail.

UnitedHealth Group Photos