UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,328 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge Organization

Former Employee - RN UM in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - RN UM in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Advanced technology and work from home option

Cons

Work load is out of control , no work - life balance .

Show some care to you Employees

Big corporate insurance company

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are this is a huge corporation with many perks not found in small organizations.

Cons

The cons are this is a huge corporation. Values stockholders more than employees. Multiple lay offs in recent past and multiple re-organizations. Slow moving due to levels of bureaucracy.

Pay more attention to employees; do away with evaluation system and bonus structure; revamp Human Capital, invest more into infrastructure like information systems that work and talk to each other across companies; invest in research and development;; and invest in performance improvement.

No yearly raises and no bonuses for EAP counselors for successfully counseling over 1000 employees a year.

Current Employee - EAP Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - EAP Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Counseling employees of many large tech companies in the bay area regarding mental health and wellness issues, whose employers have chosen UHG OPTUM (formerly known as United Behavioral Health) to be there EAP vendor.

Cons

Business Intelligence Analytics inappropriately tweaks parameters of automated algorithms and formulas up and down to deny benefits to its own employees,contracted providers and customers in order to maximize united health group's CEO's & board of directors profits.
    You don't get rewarded for high performance.
    The metrics are always being tweaked to do more with less time.
    Poor ergonomics set up.
    Under market value wages.
    The CEO decided to increase the usual and customary fees of physicians after a major law suit with Ingenix now known as Optum insight. He has not allowed psychologists and masters level clinicians to adjust the usual and customary rate. When our clients wants to see clinician face to face, most providers in the network who list accepting EAP in the UHG data bases, actually turn EAP members away because of the low compensation rate.

Hire ergonomics specialists for all employees who spent long hours at their desks.
    Negatively impacting your metrics when leaving your cubicle outside of your your lunch and 2 breaks is unhealthy.
    The provider data base for mental health clinicians needs to be updated.
    Pay your employees in the EAP department fairly.
    Pay your contracted mental health providers fairly.

Not an ethically responsible corporation

Former Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

A paycheck. Work at home away from the dysfunctional people.

Cons

HR outsourced,Benefits outsourced, Management horrid

HR constantly reclassifies positions and is not employee friendly, accountable or socially responsible.
    Pressure from Management to contribute to community. Maybe the CEO can with huge salary, stock options !!
    A company that does not promote and has no measurable or quantifiable.employee evaluation process.
    IT is outsourced and laptops (old) for telecommuters have known problems. Excel versions old.
    Business intelligence tools are not cutting edge, interoperability is ridiculous. Otther companies have beat UHG to the
    punch in new markets. UHG is trying to diversify their portfolio in multiple product lines, yet their Employee Health
    Insurance is laughable. Ridiculously LOW salaries even for taking on additional department functions. I was making less when I left after many years than a good friend of mine who was hired at Tricare as a hew nurse. After the merger with AmeriChoice, hired a hatchet man who is still in Phoenix and not respectable, gets by with his antics. J ust so you know, many in the Phoenix Nursing community will not work for UHG in Phoenix and have not heard good things about UHG, your reputation has caught up !! Hire people from India cheap ? Can't use PTO-no one to do your work when gone, yet Mgr goes to India for 2 weeks.

The people here are so unorganized

Current Employee - Pharmacy Help Desk in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Help Desk in Irving, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing good but benefits ..if you can afford it

Cons

Too many to put down

Get more professional and organized

my immediate supervisor was wonderful; mid management would not listen to employees at all

Former Employee - MCR
    Former Employee - MCR

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have no pros to state

Cons

worst health plan that i had; business required overtime without regard to vacation/sick time

Listen to employees

Empathy starts at home, yes...the workplace is your home

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Thank God for a JOB; and all whom I was able to help ...because this is what a health Insurance Company 's should focus on 1st and foremost.....

Cons

I worked for this politically biased and money hungry company for nearly 14 years. I worked in the customer care department, the atmosphere was very similar to a clique in high school. Opportunity for the most part was based on friendships, fear and manipulation. If you wanted to succeed in this department, there was no way out unless you knew someone clever at scheming. So, unless you were "favored" by these power sharks, you needed to know other means of survival when the frenzy began!. I started out as an over achiever and was doing well until I questioned the status quo. I became the enemy when I approached a manager in the Greensboro, NC office about a legitimate work schedule discrepancy. It was downhill from there! And then my spouse became ill and was a hospice palliative care patient for the next 4 years. I tried to work as best I could but my manager and supervisor insisted I work schedules that made my work and home life pure hell.. I used FMLA when I could ...but since my spouse was eventually disabled and ultimately died....I was no longer an asset or needed by this HEALTH INSURANCE GROUP OF "so called, MEMBER SERVICES REPRESENTATIVES.
    From this UHC department, I've learned sympathy, or empathy towards members on the phones is pretentious for most. Which also speaks to why there is very little "in house" kindness, or appreciation for the family unit in this environment; I've determined a company that bases your pay and ability to keep your job on how quickly you could get callers off your phone line, or can deny sick people proper opportunities for great care just because they failed to call in 1st, or blow smoke at people with no money to pay for a childs transplant; or a dying grandmothers wheelchair...could care even less about me, a tenured employee with only a few years from retiring ....because they chose to continue to perpetrate a failed system which the company itself initiated and created?

put your fears aside, your greed for titles and money in a box; close the lid and walk away..... unless you can find a way to make a REAL difference

No communication

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Good TV commercials. Some telecommuting. Some of the webinars are useful. Access to excellent online tools and other resources.

Cons

No communications. Negative environment. "Gotcha mentality", much finger pointing. Very stressed staff. Impersonal and bureaucratic. Always the threat of layoffs. Penny wise, pound foolish. Rushed to provide suboptimal service.

Live up to the company's slogans.

it is a pseudo mnc

Current Employee - Claims Associate Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Claims Associate Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

if you have no intention of getting ahead in your career and want to earn a living by being lazy, this is the best company for you.

Cons

poor work environment.
    freshers are treated very badly
    no growth in the career
    back handed politics
    hr people run the whole show
    no hikes
    no performance bonuses
    very dull office culture

clean up your act. hear us out. add more incentives and bonuses.

Sweat shop mentality with lip service on values

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When Dawn Owens ran things employees were treated better because of trickle down culture.

Cons

Worst benefits package ever
    PTO is granted but discouraged from using
    On call 24/7, work/life balance is lie
    Expect 50+ hr work weeks
    Rampant sexist environment - good old boy netwk
    Consistent re-orgs every 18 months or so
    Layoff staff as they become proficient (expensive)
    Massive outsourcing to India on call center and IT
    Nothing short of a sweat shop with fancy cubicle dressings
    Jock mentality in upper ranks

Promote more
    Be fair
    Get a decent benefits package together
    Increase stability and cut it out with the offshore

UnitedHealth Group Photos