UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,587 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,587 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 200 reviews
  • "work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)"
    in 99 reviews
Cons:
  • "It should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases"
    in 66 reviews
  • "which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ok

Claims Associate Representative (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Prossalary, transport & I can't think of anything else right now.

Consunnecessary work pressure, some managers do make false commitments to the employees so that they can make them work extra hours.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to mark the managers making false commitments. It really makes a -ve impact on employees.

It has been dependable

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsPeople you see everyday seem to be like family

ConsAdvancement is not promoted by management as advertised

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your policies to promote the best of your employees and productivity will excel.

It was great but with recent layoffs it is just so disorganized

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsTelecommuting, the operations staff RN's are exceptional!!

ConsNo real development of staff. The best managers are let go and replaced with cheaper people at a lower level. Starting to offshore with India replacing US jobs. Layoffs and the employees are forced to find their own transfers. My former boss was let go found a new job at United and then had to payback her severance she used between the layoff and the new job at UHG. IT systems are painful, they are created and not supported.

Stable Company

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable company, won't be going anywhere for a while
Good work/life balance, supports working from home when needed.

ConsTypical large company, some changes can take a long time to roll out or changes are rolled out without being fully ready.

My experience at United Health Group has been exceptional.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent company benefits, work-life balance, training, and company values. Company is constantly growing with outstanding opportunities for advancement.

ConsWith all large corporations, communications can be an obstacle with keeping up with changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHealth plan coverage and costs for employees could be more comprehensive and at a deduced cost.

View UNH

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

ProsGood Benefits because it is such a large company

ConsLittle chance to move up

not as promised

Customer Care Professional (Current Employee)
Westerville, OH

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Prospretty good insurance, alright hours, great co-workers

Consnot enough compensation for all the accounts you have to learn; training was a JOKE, reading and reading and reading, training tools weren't available at times; lack of support system and supervisors at times didn't know the answers. DISAPPOINTED

Advice to Senior ManagementDON'T TALK DOWN TO YOUR TEAM, WE'RE NOT CHILDREN. SAY WHAT MEAN, MEAN WHAT YOU SAY.

It was a good experience!

Anonymous (Former Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople were helpful and understanding!

ConsThe training was rushed because mass employes were being hired!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour doing a great job with all the people being hired in!

"Churn and burn" is accurate label

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a job.Telecommuting is allowed, depending on manager's preferences (this can vary, even within a small group).

ConsWhere to start? The company is good at buying other companies, but terrible at integrating them. Result: constant conflict on the department and individual level. We have archaic systems, and yet the company constantly brags about how innovative we are. Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent. Employees are poorly trained. I work in an area where documents are reviewed by numerous individuals, and few can handle Word or PDF documents. Responsibilities are poorly defined between groups, leaving considerable overlap, and employees often end up expressing opinion rather than contributing anything substantial. In my immediate group promotions go to friends of the director. Company has been on a cost-cutting binge for the past 5 years, so compensation is minimal. Health benefits are worse than the much smaller non-profit I came from. The office set-up is a huge cube farm. This makes for a very distracting environment. The company expresses very lofty corporate values, but they are completely aspiration. No consistency among members of work groups in how jobs are performed; this also leads to conflict and confusion in interacting with other work groups.

Political nightmare

Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery engaging work within a rapidly changing industry. Lots of smart people and interesting projects.

ConsVery hierarchical, yet actionable leadership is lacking especially at the VP level. Politics tend to overshadow sound decision making. Company is currently laying off hundreds across all business segments, including a colleague who was out recovering from surgery.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in leaders who want to lead based upon the opportunity as opposed to those who like to call themselves leaders because they are VPs.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,587 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.