UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,085 Ratings

Pros
  • Ability to work from home (at discretion of manager) (in 270 reviews)

• work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance) (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent (in 98 reviews)

• which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company (in 89 reviews)

3,070 Employee Reviews

1. Claims

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Working from home was definitely the best part about the job.

Cons

Lack of continuing education when requested. No support from managers/team leads.

2. Too big to fail...Or succeed in, horrible HR/Recruiting

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Start pay is marginally decent, benefits so-so. Employee cafeteria is reasonably priced and can be deducted from your paycheck, but the vending machines are obscenely high-priced and don't like to give you change. LOTS of overtime, usually due to the high absenteeism rate mentioned in the Cons.

Cons

The segment I work for is a United Healthcare acquisition and we are treated as such. Impossible matrix goals to attain, for very little compensation increase if you can even attain them. Attendance policy is draconian, most likely due to high absenteeism caused by stress. Recruiting is ludicrous and the recruiters act like the stereotypical civil service bureaucrats we all used to laugh about, with the majority having no interest in providing career development assistance. Management says they will champion you as long as you are honest with them and keep them informed. Per company rules you are eligible for transfer after a year of service, but then one manager says that she really wouldn't recommend anyone transferring till they have at least 2 years in.

Advice to Management

Stop treating us like an acquisition and more like a part of the corporate family. Also, it would be nice if your HR and recruiters would stop treating us like a number and "just another resume" in the herd.

3. Service representative

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great opportunities, flexible time and benefits

Cons

Our insurance coverage should be better on deductible and coinsurance

Advice to Management

Keep working on communication

5. Its ok

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid time off, flexible schedule, friendly people and supervisors. Room for advancement

Cons

Dull repetitive work. Quiet office environment that does not promote social interaction. Low pay

Advice to Management

Pay raises are a must. Not in line with equivalent companies. Operating system not on par.

6. Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start a lifelong career, always opportunities for advancement

Cons

Benefits could be much better, pay could be better, should be able to use pto like you want

Advice to Management

Revise pto policy (you can't plan everything 2 weeks ahead of time), change/eliminate the attendance system or have it roll off sooner

Lack of professionalism

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

8-5 schedule Food trucks are awesome On the bus line

Cons

Lack of structure They don't value employees Changes every week No pay raises

Advice to Management

Your employees are the reason your in business without them you are nothing. Management needs to be on one page instead of stabbing each other in the back its just a complete mess in there no one is professional and it's just a job to pay your bills nothing for long term career stay far far away!!!!

company

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Consultant in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a huge company and thus provide the opportunities to diversify a career portfolio. If you are bored of a responsibility, you can look internally for other opportunities at other segments.

Cons

It depend on the department and who is your manager. The company use to be very conservative. Thus, departments that have old hands are typically not suited for minorities. Good example is the "Employer and Individual business". Other departments and managers who embrace smart and hardworking people are great places to call "work"

Advice to Management

Diversify more. Also hire and promote base on merits and not who you know. Please stop posting jobs and interviewing candidates when you already identified a person you'll offer the job to. That's a waste of other candidates' time and resources.

Churn and Burn

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary - at or above average Med Bennies - great if you take advantage of the HSA and matches. Office technology/tools (webex, Video meetings, online chat)

Cons

The model, for Project and Program Managers is designed such that you are over allocated on workload and unless - or even if - you work 60-80 hrs a week some of your portfolio projects will suffer. There is no control over the project Intake process - if the deliver teams can do it, it gets assigned regardless of whether a PM is available. I've seen some of the worst behavior in managers in my 30+ years. No training, mentoring, feedback - probably a symptom of the inhuman workload and stress.

Advice to Management

Just monitor your attrition rate - it must be expensive to re-hire and re-train. There is a better business model for all.

10. Ma

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Very awesome company would not change my job at all been here more the 4 years and loving it great pay and great benefits as well

Cons

Not very much to say about cons as this company is very well organized and very good with all employees

11. Sales Account Manager

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with long career history Many areas for career development w/in the parent corporation Small division to work closely within our market

Cons

Small/new division not fully staffed, every position currently wearing many hats, some department Heads have issues with overstepping their bounds into areas they are not knowledgeable.

Advice to Management

Find one path of instruction and stick to it. Too many leadership voices causes too much confusion on whose instructions to follow.

Showing 3,070 of 3,144 reviews