UnitedHealth Group

2.9
1,925 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Ccp

Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate
    Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate

Pros

Work at home advancement within bonus

Cons

Nothing great company to work for

Part time Optometrist

Current Employee - Optometrist  in  Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Frederick, MD

Pros

Nice environment-friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Hours can be too long.

Love the position but HR involvement makes it very difficult to move around in the company

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

Pros

Work from home, rewards for doing a good job, flexible schedules, excellent pay, great immediate supervisor, supportive team, good training, feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

Healthcare benefits are ridiculous for a risk aversive, health conscious company. I applied for a another position within the company and HR treated me like I was an outsider despite excellent references from management. HR scheduled me for a screening interview and made me wait three weeks just to do that initial piece. Then I received the "thanks but no thanks" rejection email. Would have respected an honest approach from the beginning. If you are not interested in me for whatever reason be up front and transparent. Don't call me and schedule me to interview for a position that you clearly have no intention of considering me for.

Transparency and better health care benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to advance your career

Pros

It's a large company so there are endless opportunities to try new things and move around within the organization.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic and slow to make change since it's such a big company. Compensation is ok, work life balance is great.

Hard work, interesting work, variety of people to work with

Pros

Had the opportunity to learn a lot, and to connect with so many really smart and talented people. There was beginning to be a move to have more job moves between business units and that expands opportunities for learning. Great retirement plan.

Cons

Difficult to find balance as there is an expectation of always being on and available. Benefits are closer to what the generic market would be. Some leaders shouldn't be managing people -- they seem to look at their team as expendable resources to burn through.

Not much opportunity for advancement.

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Decent benefits, interesting workload, range of responsibilities. Opportunities to gain skills but not a ton of places to use them.

Cons

Demanding workload, salaries are not tied to quality or quantity of work. We were all treated essentially the same for varying degrees of competency and production.

Need some sort of development program to retain top talent. Many of the best employees have left for better advancement opportunities.

My Dept. is great, however the pay is subpar for the amount of work that is expected from everyone especially with no ot

Current Employee - Clerk  in  Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Clerk in Kingston, NY

Pros

I like my co-workers and my manager. We are not micro managed and we are appreciated, plenty of give and take in my dept.

Cons

Unless someone leaves my dept. or retires there isn't any room for growth. And trying to get a job within another dept. is ridiculously hard although we already work there. The pay is subpar, especially for these times. Someone needs to come and look and the real estate market and prices in upstate NY and realize that it is not a cheap place to live.

"Was given opportunities to grow with big responsibilities"

Current Employee - Product Director  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Product Director in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Being in a large company with many talented people working on transformational projects. There are many opportunities with such a diverse company to progress in your career. Teams of highly skilled people worked together to make things happen.

Cons

It was a challenge to see multiple rounds of lay offs over the years of working there. You work hard on a large project and when it is finished many good people were let go.

Try harder to find jobs within the company rather than lay people off. Culture training was great.

claims adjuster

Former Employee - Claims Processor  in  Tonawanda, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Processor in Tonawanda, NY

Pros

good job, flexible with your schedule and offer work from home opportunities. very appreciative of their staff and encourage movement around the company. occasional mandatory overtime but if you can meet their numbers you can work from home. the 16 week training course is very intense and can be very stressful. they give you timed tests and there are long lectures. if you make it through...which not everyone did from my class you go to the floor and they coral you until you meet their numbers. if you cant you will be let go.

Cons

health benefits are terrible and expensive. hourly pay is not up to par.

keep up the good work!

Good employer, but lots of reorgs

Former Employee - Proposal Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

work from home opps, there are chances to go to sister companies

Cons

salary ranges were somewhat low for analysts

compensation needs to be reviewed

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!