UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,022 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 254 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 92 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

NAMM Hillside IL

Former Employee - CM/UM Nurse  in  Hillside, IL
    Former Employee - CM/UM Nurse in Hillside, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co workers and support staff. Smaller office allows for better working relations between departments. Autonomy for nurses is a plus and great way to learn more about the "economics" of healthcare.

Cons

I think this place was built on top of an ancient burial ground. Management at the c-suite level has no ideal about the work nurses and their support staffs are doing. Unable to keep quality people due to the attitude of the people in charge of this location. There was always an issue or crisis that kept people from doing their actual job. Poor training and no time allowed to actually correct system deficits or train people well. It just seemed like they preferred to fire someone quickly as a scape goat instead of looking at the root cause of the problem. NAMM has a reputation in the area and most nurses are aware of their many problems, so changing the name because they were bought out doesn't change the issues that plague them. I had really hoped that with the new name United would help stabilize the office, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So that keeps it just spinning their wheels and going no where. I really wanted to help make that office a success and to do good work, but it just isn't possible without a major overhaul of the leadership!

You need to really take a look at your C-Suite employes at the Hillside location. You will not attract the kinds of great people and nurses you need to accomplish you goals. Providers and nurses in Chicago area all know if your issues and how poorly Medical Management Department is ran. Until you allow people to really make some positive changes you will continue to loose large accounts. The software was very poor and claimed based, not at all effective for true quality and case management functions. You really just need to drop manager level and up and start over with experienced,quality, professional nurses that can rebuild this very broken office. I hope you really take my advise because I have wished someone could get the message to you somehow. Some real team building exercises need to be done to make the team strong and cohesive, it would pay for itself in larger accounts and profits.

Help me to have more experience supporting a Executives

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people in my department gave me reason to smile and want to help and/or assist them with daily issues. They always showed appreciation with email or peer awards.

Cons

I feel upper management needed some serious communication classes. Because their people skills leaved a lot to be desired. It was a do as I say, not as I do mentality. This is never good.

Please treat your employees the way you would want to be treated. And please remember, just because you have a higher level position, It doesn't give you the right to feel you are better. We all come from the same source, and we are all human beings!!

Good work environment in IT

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can work from home whenever I want. Get to work on interesting projects. Leadership trusts their employees and takes direction from them.

Cons

To get a large salary increase you have to leave then come back. The longer you work there the less competitive your pay is.

Reward people for staying, not for leaving and coming back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, but mediocre compensation

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is great, and managers are very good about letting you take time off when you need it. Company will contribute to your HSA if you pass your annual biometric screening. My managers were all great and supportive.

Cons

For a health insurance company, the insurance they offer their employees is laughable. You basically get 3 choices, all of which boil down to a high, higher, or highest deductible that must be met before any benefits kick in.
    Also, management turn-over and frequent restructuring makes it difficult to tell who does what.
    Glass ceiling makes it extremely difficult to advance.

Improve your insurance offerings if you want to retain employees.
    Stop the management churn.

Job Site

Current Employee - Lead Mechanical Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Mechanical Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team workers for the most a few loose screw as always

Cons

Open discussion of company issues

Teach emoployee to respect others

Prepare to Sacrifice

Current Employee - Director  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a good executive team, but the middle management is too focused on their own agenda. Collaboration across departments could be better, and given the company has a war chest of cash they could do considerably more on internal development and enhancements. Compensation is good, but heavily weighted to pay for performance. Don't expect significant salary increases.

Cons

Work life balance is the biggest gap with long hours, and being on call expected rather than the exception. There is a good amount of micro management, even at the VP levels.

Plenty of work to be done in healthcare reform.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with seasoned professionals that will work long hours, evenings and weekends to meet if not exceed deadlines.

Cons

Communication to those below the business group manager level is non-existent.

Corporate values and management practices need alignment.

Great company

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance so you can work from home, telecommute and not have your work take over your life. Ability to move within the company and even international oportunities

Cons

but difficult to actually get around since everything is usually done online and company is so large its so hard to actually get to personally know the people in the company

hard to get in the company

UnitedHealth Group Response

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

Thank you for providing your feedback and sharing your positive experiences with telecommuting!

Company can do better

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is an ok job. Friendly employees and good with telecommunication.

Cons

Most of the managers don't know jack about the job they've been assigned to supervised. Micro-managing is their cup of tea. Health insurance company with bad health coverage for employees. They can do better.

Make your employees happy with good benefits to help them stay and please stop sending jobs to offshore.

Financial Consultant

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to expand your career. Some good benefits, ESPP.

Cons

As with any large organization there is a lot of red tape.

UnitedHealth Group Photos

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!