UnitedHealth Group

2.9
1,990 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Sr Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO, Work life balance, personal growth and professional growth offered in the company, Holidays, and the supply and demand of the business.

Cons

Some benefits are great, but then the others that are not include the non negotiable base pay for the position.

Not for the timid

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Investing in building a stronger culture. Values focused. Good training. Invests in development. Promotions availble for high performers. Definite focus on getting it right on service. In a variety of businesses, including services, and is all over the country. Opportunities are there in different locations; flexibility to work from home for many positions.

Cons

Hard work. Demanding. Compensation is in line with competition, but not at the top of the range.

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your point of view! We appreciate your perspective on our company's ongoing efforts to strengthen our culture, focus on company values, training & development, customer service ... More

Balance improving

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work life balance is the reason for me staying here. Different managers are more flexible/less flexible but overall they walk the walk on work/personal balance.

Cons

The workload is high and can be very stressful. It is always changing and pushing the envelope forcing employees to stay on their toes. There is no longer a quiet time of year.

Cutting employees for the sake of he bottom line does not necessarily decrease cost as mistakes increase.

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your positive review! We value your authentic point of view regarding what it's like to work here and appreciate all that you do to help push the envelope as we focus on achieving our ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work at

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

My boss was an awesome person, the team was also really great. The building was well maintained and it is easy to get along with anyone within the same team.
    It was a very flexible schedule which was awesome because you could come in as you pleased as long as you worked your 8hrs and took care of any calls you may had

Cons

The company itself didn't seem to think much of our department. We were most of our time worried as to what the next move was going to be in regards to our employment status

There is no real incentive for workers to perform better. The carrot on this stick for the most part was processing the visas. It didn't work for most of us. I myself found it offensive.

Large company with ample opportunities.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a large company with lots of opportunities to grow your career. There are offices throughout the US. Leadership shares their vision with the company. You get a nice amount of PTO as soon as you start. There is a generous Employee Stock Purchase Program. Though the industry is rapidly changing, UHC is a leader in the industry and has had better results than competing health insurance organizations. The company values are honored by employees and leadership.

Cons

Because the organization is so large, sometimes you feel lost in the shuffle or detached. The health plan isn't great (only offer high deductible options). They don't match 401k until after the first year.

With a company so large, there are many opportunities to grow your career. Make it easier to navigate career options/growth opportunities.

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and share your insights about the benefits of working at UnitedHealth Group - including a dedication to honoring our company values. We appreciate ... More

Great place to work!

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Total flexibility with the option to work from home. Great place to work if you are a self starter!

Cons

If you need constant feedback or direction this is not the job for you.

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working here and appreciate you taking time to share your experience with others!

Great company to work. Lots of training. Good benefits, work-life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Easy commute into downtown and opportunities to meet other people in downtown restaurants.

Cons

very limited opportuniites in finance role in Hartford, CT

They don't walk the talk.

Not a long term career prospective company

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wide scope of activities and operations

Cons

Stability takes longer time. Odd shifts

Fun but depends on team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, live instructor-lead trainings (good), work from home opportunities (good), raises are just ok.

Cons

Skillsoft for training (poor), leadership resistant to change even if they are practically in violation of company policies. Our company had a team to actually do the work that I was hired to do but my team didn't want to utilize their services due to one bad previous experience. This caused our department to violate policy and overspend.

Work can be challenging and self directed. There are some employees willing to assist you in your growth. There appears

Current Employee - Quality Auditor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Auditor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Vacation/PTO is worth sticking around. The employees at times become your second family.

Cons

Poor chance of being promoted based on experience and education.

Take the opportunity to get to know your employees and their abilities, give them a chance to prove themselves. The compensation for lower-level employees is not the best, upper management may be compensated for the work of the lower level employees if production/goals are met.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!