UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,068 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 262 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 141 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 96 reviews)

• No Work/Life Balance (Our department that handles TRICARE works 65 hours a week mandatory) (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at United

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good steady job, hard work and great people to work for. People get together to make things happen.

Cons

One of the worst health plans and employee benefits are questionable. Parts can be like a sweat shop. Very much not an employee focused company even though they think the opposite. Major communication from senior management the month before employee survey feedback is given.

Take some of the big $$$ paid the to the senior execs and put it to a better health plan for the employees

No compassion for employees

Current Employee - Nurse in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay grade is great. I wish i has more pros to say about united health group but i don't. Coworkers are great!

Cons

They preach about being compassionate to their members but can careless about their employees. There is no understanding of their employees that have children with Chronic illnesses. When you are not eligible for FMLA, they basically can careless about you. Their insurance packets are horrible for their employees! HIGH DEDUCTIBLES!

Put a little more compassion towards your employees.

Review

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

it was just a paycheck

Cons

bad experience with fmla and got fired

lead

I hate this place

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

this place has good pay and has good coworkers to be around

Cons

horrible management, horrible way of treating employees, they don't know their head from their butt.

Only a number, not a person….

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful new office locations with lots of amenities for employees.

Cons

- Lack of communication from management - always. I can't remember a time when honesty played a role.
    - Misleading employees on the status of their jobs, and management very secretive, will not dispel rumors or the "churn". This really turns down the environment and takes from motivation and production.
    - Zero "Human" in Human Resources, you are not treated as a person, just a number. They will not help you with work issues that require action to be taken (i.e., sexual harassment, ethics/integrity, etc.). Will leave you feeling violated and not valued. Plus, "HR" is outsourced to Mercer, and not even UHG employees. The HR Reps you have in your departments/floors/divisions will NOT handle "HR" personal type of issues, and will tell you they won't. They are there for strategic purposes only.
    - With how much this company makes per year, annual bonuses and raises are given to the "top" performers which is based on manager discretion. Not fair based on value you provide, time, effort, etc. If you are not in the "boys club" you are not getting promoted, getting a raise or given a bonus.
    - Health benefits for this company lack a lot to be desired. High deductibles, for below average coverage.

Redo the compensation plans, and take a look at how employees are being promoted and/or demoted. Turn over and change the office culture, everywhere. Make sure any type of management knows that they are just as expendable as everyone else, and should not make people fear them or treat them like they are superior.

Poor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime, vacation time off and flexibilty.

Cons

Company values, disorganization and non-professional.

not a good place to work

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

not a good company to work for they don't tell the truth about any thing they make back door deals

Cons

nothing good to say

none

Had to leave - Company makes people miserable - Both employees and customers

Former Employee - PROVIDER Services
    Former Employee - PROVIDER Services

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance was decent. Only reason I say that is because I usually got the shift I bid on. Hours of course were nice and stable. People I worked with were all very loving and supportive individuals. Pay was decent.

Cons

The main reason I do not believe in this company is because it is immensely impossible/difficult to move up or perform lateral moves. I worked in the medicare department and found out that ever since I started working, corporate put a ban on my department for any promotions or even lateral moves. The ban was never lifted. Aside from that, the work I was doing was destroying me mentally as everyday I spoke to angry provider's 90% of the time. United HealthGroup does not have a good reputation for making their providers happy as the company is very disorganized and constantly screws up claims, thus in the long run, screwing over either the member or provider. I disagreed with so many of these wrongful practices the company was performing that I had to leave.

Never put a hiring ban on any department as it stunts someone's ability to become promoted and show what they can offer to the company. Please STOP segregating all of your departments. It can frustrate both the representative and the caller from finding the right person to talk to for a particular issue. Also please better train your claim processors as there are too many company wide projects started to correct millions of claims.

Great people to work with; call center metrics almost impossible to reach

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hooksett, NH
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hooksett, NH

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great coworkers; job does have the potential to positively impact customers' lives; direct supervisors were good; training is good if you are willing to ask for help; decent opportunities for advancement

Cons

very stressful call center metrics; emphasis on being "compassionate" on every call but not much follow-through from upper management to adjust call metrics; difficult to obtain raises and bonus because metrics were so difficult to achieve

If "compassion" is what you want customer service reps to provide 100% of the time, then make sure all of management is modeling compassion with employees. Also, management should follow through more consistently to make sure that all employees who need additional training are receiving it. (When one employee isn't trained well, it creates a lot more work for everyone else.)

Busy time and much chaos at UHG

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Able to work from home sometimes, always learn new skills, and lots of tools for communicating and keeping informed

Cons

Constant change and you have to be sometimes be self taught for new systems and procedures

It is such a large company that employees can feel isolated and unimportant. Supervisors and managers play a key role in making employees feel included in decision making and process improvement.
    Difficult to advance in this company.

UnitedHealth Group Photos